• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Introducing sippy cup?

ChocolateC

Reaction score
When did your LOs start to really drink out of sippy cups? I introduced DS to it at 6 months but now he's almost 8 months and still can't really drink out of it. It's a toy to him. He gums the spout a bit but I don't think he really gets anything that way.

Should I be worried about dehydration? What I do now is to let him drink a little out of a small normal cup, holding it tight, with a cloth under his chin, just so he has a bit of liquid with his solid meals. He's not very good at drinking but he gets a tiny bit. Other than that I'm breastfeeding so he's getting liquid that way too.

I totally forget from my DD. She was a very different baby, really eager to eat and drink, so it was a different ballgame with her anyway.

Thanks!

I can't really remember how old he was but when I first tried with sippy cups he didn't like them at all, I went through about 4 different onesizes until he finally got one he liked (miracle cup 360) it took about an hour for him to get used to using it and then we were good to go.

I usually start as early as possible and get sippy cups that have giant nipples like bottles. I then move to soft silicone spouts that they can get water out of by chewing on or sucking on. Once they're sucking well, I move them to soft spout regular sippy cups. Then, I move them to hard ones at around 9 months to a year old. That being said, my fourth-born (currently almost 11m) is still on the soft silicone spouts and doesn't suck out of the harder ones yet, so we haven't moved him to the soft spouts yet.

My DD has had her sippy cup for a few months (she's nearly 11 months) and she still messes about with it but does actually drink out of it from time to time and has the hang of it pretty much now- usually when she eats. I leave it on the side for her at home and she goes backwards and forwards to it. It's a hard plastic tommee tippee cup, I'd like to get her a different one that doesn't spill as easy but that's what they use at nursery. We've had a lot of damp times with it :haha: she doesn't drink a massive amount out of it but I figure she's fine!

It's this one, excuse my DD covered in spaghetti and bread and butter :lol:

https://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn198/crwxoxx/9FCAE08D-7BE0-470C-AB5A-4B5C8F1AF872_zpslv4fautz.jpg

We never bothered with sippy cups, we introduced a miracle 360 cup when DD was 5 1/2 months old and she figure out how to drink from it straight away, and was then able to drink out of a regular open cup by about 6 months onwards with some help, or the miracle cup she could use all on her own.

My LO got used to sippy cups after using open top cups first (with me helping at first). If she accidentally poured it all over herself it was only water so I wasn't fussed - it helped her learn to be more cautious!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->