ipad users..?

sparkle_1979

Mum to Ruby born Oct 2009
Reaction score
Morning,

Hubby said he's going to get me one but I don't really know how much better it would be than my laptop?

I only use it for facebook, pictures, email and shopping. I would like to use it to read books though and maybe download movies. How much is it to watch a movie and how many can you store?

also I'd like to use it out and about, so how does that work? how do you get charged?

Sorry I have no clue about computers these days:wacko:

I'm not sure how much it costs to watch movies as I've never done it..and how much you can store will depend on the size of ipad you buy..64gb will store a hell of a lot more than a 16gb and they say on average a film is anything between 3 and 8gb depending on whether they're HD and things but there are ways you can convert movies (though it does take quite some time) so that they're smaller sizes with converters made for it but these do affect quality but also reduce sizes to around 1-2gb per movie so it depends whether you prefer quality or quantity :)

As for using it out and about I'm assuming you mean how do you pay for the 3G? I don't know if you've ever heard of internet dongles? Most mobile companies do them now and that's how they provide you with broadband. You have a dongle with a simcard in it and you either pay as you use it and top it up with a card like you would PAYG mobiles or you can buy them on contracts where you get so much allowance a month. Only the sim goes directly into the ipad not a dongle.

Hope this helps hun x

I have an iPad and love all my apple gadgets but to be honest when I have the money I'll be upgrading to a galaxy tab and giving this to dh.

You can't upload pics from iPad to here or Facebook without emailing them, there is no USB port so you can't watch movies/upload files from a USB stick etc which means your only option is downloading. The kindle app is excellent to read books etc and there are so many good free apps that it's a shame to be changing really. I have the iPad2 tho so maybe the 3 has been upgraded to include the features I need I'm not sure.

I'd make sure you go for wifi and 3G, this means you can use wifi at home or anywhere that supplies free wifi but if your out and about you will be on a sim card which you can get monthly or payasyougo

Oh and you can't get java on the iPad which means you can't play games like on Facebook and some sites you can't view if they use java which is a pain.

there is no USB port so you can't watch movies/upload files from a USB stick etc which means your only option is downloading.

There's a great application called air video :thumbup: you install it on your laptop and your ipad and you stream any movie or show you have on your computer and watch it on your ipad or iphone :thumbup:

The best thing is that you don't even have to convert the movies anymore since it does it live, and you can also watch even when you're not at home! Plus it doesn't take up space on your iPad :flower:

as for the facebook pics you go on the facebook app and upload as many pics as you want!

there is no USB port so you can't watch movies/upload files from a USB stick etc which means your only option is downloading.

There's a great application called air video :thumbup: you install it on your laptop and your ipad and you stream any movie or show you have on your computer and watch it on your ipad or iphone :thumbup:

The best thing is that you don't even have to convert the movies anymore since it does it live, and you can also watch even when you're not at home! Plus it doesn't take up space on your iPad :flower:

as for the facebook pics you go on the facebook app and upload as many pics as you want!

Thanks for that I'll have a look at that app now and see how I get on, I'm gutted I sold my laptop now, but that will come in useful when I get back to England and buy a pc.

And I can't believe I didn't know about uploading on the Facebook app, I've been emailing all the pics :dohh:

Is there a way to upload pics to here or photo bucket?

Ps sorry op for hyjacking your thread :hugs:

the pics sharing to facebook is going to be fixed during the next software update! :happydance: we'll be able to share without going through facebook! Unfortunately it won't work for the 1st gen iPad, but it will with the newer ones and the iPhones :thumbup:

I am a recent convert to all things apple, lol, two weekends ago we went out and bought an iPad each and I got an IPhone too lol. I haven't used my laptop yet.

Although we are thinking of getting an apple air book too soon, but I love my iPad. I have found is so much easier to use in the day, can just pick it up, search Facebook, check mail, pop on here all in seconds, probably not much more than that laptop takes to power up.

I am 100% convted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->