Iron rich foods

BabyBubble

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend some?

Have been taking pregnacare but at my last appointment I was told I'm jus 0.2 away from needing iron tablet which I really dont want as already have hemmeroids and have suffered for years on and off so anything that would put me in more discomfort is a big no no :haha:

I don't really know what's rich in iron aside from red meat. And I thought dark chocolate was too but maybe that's wishful thinking hee hee ;D I do know though that vitamin C is really important for iron absorption so make sure you're eating some foods or drinking something with lots of vitamin C in every meal.

ETA: Ooh baked potatoes are apparently rich in iron. Something I did not know. :]

This might help:

https://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Anaemia-iron-deficiency-/Pages/Treatment.aspx

Think lentils are good as well. :flower:

Spinahc, lentils, steaks, carrots (believe it or not) and drink lots of milk and dairy products because they help with absorption!

Thanks shall be doing a food shop tomorrow its soo hard trying to include so much in your diet when pregnant :dohh: Will end up being the size of a house eating loads jus to make sure I get enough goodness in me :haha:

eating raw beet roots or drinking beet juice is really good for your blood! I also started taking an under the tongue b-12 supplement...but I'm a vegetarian, so if you might get enough b-12. Lack of b-12 is common because our bodies don't absorb it that well and it can cause anemia. The under the tongue supplement seems to give people all they need! Spinach is also good.

Mushrooms! Yum! any leafy green vegies, and red meat.

Can't talk about food any more... Its making me hungry!

Blackstrap molasses! I'm a vegan, so no dairy or meat for me. I just eat a lot of stuff like lentils and beans, and I take a tablespoon of molasses a day with some vitamin C, and I'm doing OK so far. Don't take your iron with dairy like someone said. Calcium inhibits iron absorption, and vitamin C helps.

U dont take diary with iron riched foods lol....it'll kill it.

I have been living off rare red meat... yup, rare!!! as long as its cooked to the right tempreature you're fine as it kills off any bactaria- and also, about 6/7 different varieties of veg on my meals.
My iron is 15.4...
Steak, lamb, mince, cabbage, carrots, peas- ANY veg really.....

Broccoli I've heard! I know it's not tasty to many but I find it just fine. :)

avoid caffinne as well as it inhibits iron absorption,

and Senekot ( or however its spelt ) is a good iron supplement if you dont want to get bunged up by tablets,

ive just been ordered onto iron as im 0.2 off them making a fuss about me having a homebirth

My iron level is 10.6 and my mw told me if it was 10.5 or under I'd be anaemic, so am also trying to find foods high in iron! I've been told dried apricots,raisins,and brocolli are quite high in iron. Also cereals like branflakes and weetabix.

My iron level is 10.6 and my mw told me if it was 10.5 or under I'd be anaemic, so am also trying to find foods high in iron! I've been told dried apricots,raisins,and brocolli are quite high in iron. Also cereals like branflakes and weetabix.

Rare red meat... worked for me. I shot from 11 to 15.4 within weeks.

Sorry to disappoint ladies but guinness being good for iron levels is a bit of an old wives tale (See here) Personally I would avoid alcohol all together in pregnancy as well as studies have shown even small levels can be harmful to the baby (Department of health advises avoiding alcohol see here ). I would also avoid meat that is rare due to risk of listeria in pregnancy.

My MW gave me a list of iron rich foods. Apparently pregnant women are supposed to score 9 iron points a day:

2 Weetabix (2.5 points)
Large bowl cornflakes (2 points)
Ready Brek with milk (1.5 points)
1/2 cup All Bran (4 points)
1 cup Special K (3 points)
1 Farley's Rusk (3.5 points)
2 Large spoons raisins and sultanas (1 point)
1 Slice wholemeal bread (1 point)
1 Slice white bread (0.5 points)
1 Egg (1 point)
2 Large spoonful baked beans (1 point)
1 Thin slice corned beef (1 point)
1 Thin slice meat (beef/lamb/pork) (1 point)
1 Small tin tuna fish (1.5 points)
1 Chapatti (1 point)
2 Large spoonfuls dhal/lentils (0.5 points)
2 Egg sized potatoes (0.5 points)

I've heard broccoli is a good source of iron as well.

I've found a nice iron rich meal is jacket potatoes (including the skins as that is where a lot of the goodness is!) with baked beans and corned beef on top. Also sprinkle on some cheese for calcium levels. Also make sure you get plenty of vitamin C as it is needed to help your body absorb iron.

Hope this helps!

Hi,

i'm taking a herbal supplement (Floradix), I know that at least in the UK you can buy it in a drugstore. Not sure about a US equivalent though.
Its easier on the stomach than iron pills.

Watercress - it has iron AND vitamin C so you don't need to drink OJ with it to absorb the iron (which is good if you have heartburn).

Lots of weaning recipes I'm using add dried apricots to up the iron level so I assume this works for pregnant ladies too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->