Is 38 weeks a bit late?

lilvixen

Proud mummy of 3 girls!
Reaction score
For MW to come to my home if I want a HB? I'm just wondering as with my first HB up in Scotland the MW came earlier and wondered what your MW's have planned for you girls? I'm 99.9% sure my MW has forgotten I want a HB, but then she doesn't know who I am (she's useless!) so I'm not surprised!

Mine is coming round on Sunday (26+2) but I am indeed in Scotland.

Mine is coming to see me at home at 34 weeks. Not sure if that's because I'm booked for home or if it's standard practice as here they also do your booking appointment at home.

my mw is coming round bout 32-33 week mark, yeh i deffo think thats awfy late id be getting on the fone to them shouting lol

I'm planning a home birth and nothing has been mentioned about the MWs coming round beforehand. They don't even drop off a kit in this area, they bring everything with them on the day.

Oh blimey! Thanks for your responses girls :flower: Sounds like it could be either/or then... either she's forgotten (probably) or it's just normal protocol (possibly)... I must say my care in Suffolk has been dire compared to where I've lived previously (including Scotland) :nope: I've got a 2 week wait before my 36 week appointment, shall I just hang on until then to ask or ring up? Sorry to ask but I find when I speak to her, I end up feeling like an idiot for whatever it is I'm asking so the less I have to speak to her the better :cry:

I'm planning a home birth and nothing has been mentioned about the MWs coming round beforehand. They don't even drop off a kit in this area, they bring everything with them on the day.

Hi, I'm also in Leeds and not had any feedback yet although I'm only 23 weeks.
Did your MW tell you they don't do a home visit or is that just what you figured out as they didn't turn up?
I went to a great home birth meeting group on Sunday and I suppose I could ask the ladies there as they were great for giving info on how it worked for them.

Hi, I'm also in Leeds and not had any feedback yet although I'm only 23 weeks.
Did your MW tell you they don't do a home visit or is that just what you figured out as they didn't turn up?
I went to a great home birth meeting group on Sunday and I suppose I could ask the ladies there as they were great for giving info on how it worked for them.

I'm a bit misleading, I should change my details, sorry, I've moved just outside of Leeds now and I come under Kirklees council, not sure which health authority it is, I see my midwife in Cleckheaton, but Dewsbury Hospital which is where I would go if I had to transfer is part of the Mid Yorkshire Trust or something. I had an appointment with my MW today and checked with her and they don't do home visits, and they bring everything they need with them on the day, and she told me the protocol - when I go into labour I have to phone the delivery suite at Dewsbury District Hospital and tell them I'm in labour and booked for a home birth and they call the on-call midwife.

I'm afraid I'm not sure how it works in Leeds - Mervs Mum will know, hopefully she'll see this post.

I should just speak to the MW I guess but next appt isn't for another 5 weeks and then it's with consultant at hospital and not community midwife.
I'll probably be going to the next homebirth meet so the ladies there will know how it worked for them.
I've got plenty of time yet but I just like to have things in place!

im in east yorks planning a home birth and have been told my midwife appointment will be at home at 36 weeks and that i'll get another scan at around 36 weeks just to check on babys positioning and placenta and things before getting go ahead for homebirth not sure if this is the same everywhere tho? xx

Here in Ontario (Canada) they usually do home visits at 36 wks but it is really just so they know how to get there and have a lay of the land. Not super important. But I would definitely be clear to them your desires and concerns. I know sometimes it may be hard if you don't have the best relationship with your midwife but it is important to assert yourself now so you can feel able to assert yourself in birth if needed.

im in east yorks planning a home birth and have been told my midwife appointment will be at home at 36 weeks and that i'll get another scan at around 36 weeks just to check on babys positioning and placenta and things before getting go ahead for homebirth not sure if this is the same everywhere tho? xx

Thank you :flower: Yours sounds more positive than mine! My HV is coming round today so I'm going to ask her...

Here in Ontario (Canada) they usually do home visits at 36 wks but it is really just so they know how to get there and have a lay of the land. Not super important. But I would definitely be clear to them your desires and concerns. I know sometimes it may be hard if you don't have the best relationship with your midwife but it is important to assert yourself now so you can feel able to assert yourself in birth if needed.

Thank you :flower: you're right, I really don't feel happy about our relationship at the moment :nope: I'm due to see her next week and hoping that as I'm closer to my DD, I may feel I'm being taken more seriously... up to now, I don't feel she'd even recognise me :nope:

I'm in Scotland and the MW came last week for the assessment (38 weeks), I think the MW that came round was against Home Births tho as she kept going on about how Hubby wouldn't be there for me as he'd be too busy with the pool and was quite forceful in getting me to visit the MW Led unit. I think they had forgotten I wanted a home birth. I told them from the very start, but because It's different MWs each week, no one had taken note of it!

However another MW is very eager about it and really likes homebirths - so I hope she's on call when I'm in labour and not the other one!!

With having different MWs I'm getting told different things, like I was told the MW stuff would be delivered last week, then another MW said they don't tend to deliver it until 39 weeks as most first time babies are late! I have an image of me going into labour with no MW supplies or G&A!

Im sure my MW said my home visit will be around 36weeks but that is also when they will drop off the kit.. I see her next friday so will find out then although ims ure ive got a new mw again so this will be my 3rd/4th mw this time haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->