Is a 5yr old too big for a buggy?

iluvcocopops

Mum to Molly-Rose
Reaction score
So we are going on holiday next month & our daughter will be nearly 5. She's already the height of a 6 yr old & weights 3+1/4 stone. She hasn't sat in a buggy since she was 2.

But hubby has decided that we are bringing a buggy. I told him it's a ridiculous idea. Our hotel is in a great location, only min walk to the beach. I think she's far too big for a buggy & can't imagine her ever sitting in it.

Plus we are taking 3 suitcases & I'll be 5mths pregnant, so don't want to be pushing a big 5yr old about.

Let me know what your thoughts are x

I would have to say yes, imo a 5 year old is too big for a buggy (there is exceptions of course, mobility issues etc)

We took a buggy on holiday when my youngest was 3 years but that was the last time.

We went to Austria this year which involved quite a bit of walking and didn't enter my head to take a buggy for my 5 year old!

Yes she is, completely agree with above poster.

What's the reason your dh wants to being one?

I think he thinks she will be tired. I think he needs to wise up haha

It sounds like she's too big if she looks like a six yr old and is probably over the weight limit anyway. I wouldn't take one from what you've said. My occasionally sits in our double, the last time was a trip to the zoo after a lot of walking- but i don't take one specifically for him it's meant for his brother

We rarely take the stroller for our 4 year old. Usually it's just when we go to the zoo so we know there'll be a lot of walking. Even then we make him walk most of the time :haha: The stroller is there to carry our lunches/waters/camera mostly!

A 5 year old is way too big for a buggy. Most 5 year olds wouldn't consider sitting in one either! I wouldn't bother taking it, it's not necessary and what a hassle!

I agree with you (and everyone else), she's way too big. She'll be going to school this year or next I'm assuming and you want her to realise she's a big kid now. I think that's important for her confidence. Asking her to act like a toddler again by sitting in the buggy isn't a good idea imo. Plus I think you'll have an easier time without the buggy than with it. If you're pregnant, you shouldn't be pushing her in it anyway, as that sort of weight will put serious strain on your hips. Having dealt with hip issues last pregnancy, my advice would be to stay well clear.

If my son could get into the buggy still (which he probably could actually) then he would use it. But when he is lazy and can't be bothered to walk he will always ask to be picked up. But that's because he is being lazy not that he needs it!!!

I wouldn't use one for him at 5 - like others say he needs to know he is a big boy now. If he needs to rest then we stop a walk and rest but not put him into a buggy.

Im going against the grain and saying if its a 1 off because there will be walking distances in heat i dont see the harm . Yes shes probably too big but a few months ago my 6 year old jumped in her sisters buggy for fun for a little play. She didn't suddenly revert back to being a toddler or want it all the time. I think kids can know its a 1 off and be totally fine my dd has never asked again and if i tried to encourage it in pretty sure she would choose to walk.

What about an alternative like a fold up scooter? You could possibly buy a cheap one over there, then she could scoot herself where possible but have a little help buy DH pulling the handle when she gets tired:)

Way too big if you ask me. Unless there's a medical issue like EDS and even then she'd be too tall and too heavy so you'd have to find something else likely.

Scooter is a great idea. I also agree 5 is too big.

Having been out of a buggy for well over 2 years I would say it's ridiculous to even consider it. Aside from that I never understand when people take a buggy as the kids will be walking a lot. Since mine started to toddle they walked about all day long (sometimes only in the house) but non stop. They must walk the same distance on a day at home that they do on a day out.

I would say 5yrs old is too old. Obviously there are exceptions with mobility, disability etc but in this case I'd say she would be fine walking, especially if she's so big anyway.

Good luck, have a nice holiday :)

Thanks ladies, she has sat in a buggy since she was 2 & even back then she couldn't wait to get out of it. I'll happily show the hubby some of your responses to reinforce my belief that he is being ridiculous to even consider it. We won't be doing much walking on holiday cause I'll be 5mths pregnant & i will be wanting a relaxing holiday 😊

I agree with the others, that's a bit too old for it. We used a stroller at Disney for my younger son who had just turned 4 during that vacation, but by next year when he turns 5, I can't see using it again for a trip like that. He used it some, but most of the time he was fine with walking. My 6 yr old walked the whole time, aside from breaks we took occasionally to get drinks, snacks, etc.

I doubt there are many buggies out there that could take that sort of weight anyway? My son weighs 50lbs and I do have a buggy that can, but it's 8 years old and it's a well made (and was rather expensive when new) all terrain thing with strong cotton canvas seating and air filled tyres etc. Sophie still sits in but no way I would put Thomas in it. Though he would if he could!

I wouldn't dream of putting my 5 year old in a buggy, we haven't used it for him since the week he turned 3 (a holiday incidentally!) he is perfectly capable of walking long distances, just a couple of months ago we got the train into London and did 20,000 steps according to my Fitbit, he didn't complain once. We will ditch the pushchair for our youngest very soon, we are going on holiday a couple of weeks after he turns 3 in January similar to DS1 and I will probably get rid of it after that, in the mean time I'm encouraging him to walk more and more.

At this age I would treat her like we would treat ourselves, if she gets tired, take a break?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->