Is a bottle of formula at night really that bad?

Pearls18

Reaction score
I'm not talking about supply, I am fully aware with the interference etc. I'm talking about interrupting the benefits of BM with a bottle of formula. I don't want to bore you with all the details as to why I'm needing to consider this, I am going to be giving bottles of expressed milk for the night feed this week to see how that goes as it's the bottle I need not the type of milk. I just really hate expressing (although I am aware I would need to either way) and was just wondering if I spoil the benefits of BF with one bottle of formula a day? I am so proud of EBF my eldest for 6 months I'm just tooing and froing, but we're having problems.

Hi well I gave my lo a bottle of formula at eight months at bed time, and after about a week she would not bf properly as she wanted a bottle but not sure how this is for other people x

I don't know whether you're looking for a scientific answer or what... But IMO no. My baby refuses a bottle now but he would have formula once a week on a night feed so I could sleep. He would still be having it if he took the bottle. They are still getting the vast majority of milk from breastfeeding so all the antibodies etc.
I can't stand expressing, I only ever get about an ounce it's rubbish!

I used to give a bottle of formula sometimes at night, if I hadn't managed to (or hadn't been bothered to) pump enough that day. I also tried it for a while as my LO was an awful sleeper and I thought it might make him sleep longer (it didn't!).

I never had any problems with going from breast to bottle and it didn't really affect my supply (I'd pump in the evenings sometimes).

I personally wasn't worried about not exclusively giving breast milk. The odd bottle of formula wasn't a big deal IMO as he got got breast milk the vast majority of the time anyway. :flower:

Yeah I guess I'm after the science. I'm not worried about after 6 months I plan on giving up the day he turns 6 months at this rate haha. I don't know why but I just have it in my mind that you build up all these benefits from EBF and nothing else should be introduced or it compromises it all. I know now that the virgin gut theory is tosh, I guess I just want to know I'm not putting my efforts to waste if I were to introduce formula iykwim? He's fine interchanging between bottle and breast.

The virgin guy theory has little evidence to back it up however there are more resent studies that suggest that a daily bottle of formula changes stool ph and gut flora and it takes 2-3 weeks without formula for the gut to return to normal. It depends on how much you consider gut health to be intrinsically tied in with things such as allergies and the immune system. This is one recent study if you search for 'formula changes gut flora' there are more

https://www.medpagetoday.com/OBGYN/Pregnancy/37304

Xx

Apparently yes.

Formula before 6m drastically affects the levels in the gut.

I'm not sure how/why but I know a lot of allergies are attributed to babies having anything other than BM before 6m so that's why I steered clear of formula.

Among other reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"