Is a c-section giving "birth"?

People are voting "no" because they feel like they didn't give birth. That's not what the OP asked though. She asked "Is a c-section still giving birth?" There was no specifics.

But if you had a c section and don't feel like you gave birth, then your answer is probably no, it isn't giving birth. Otherwise you wouldn't feel like you hadn't given birth. If that makes sense. I voted not sure, because as much as I don't feel I gave birth, that doesn't mean I'd assume every woman who had a c-section felt the same.

I think it also depends on how labour went. I was never in labour, so I don't feel I did anything physically to birth Isaac. If I'd have been in labour, maybe I'd feel differently.

Belive me, i felt like i had given birth even though my baby was born out the sunroof.

I was 9cm dilated when i got rushed for a c-section so i had felt everything up until that point, then the recovery of the c-section defo didnt feel like i had done nothing :thumbup:

Anyway, everyone has what they wanted at the end no matter which way the baby came out. Bouncing beautiful babies :baby:

I haven't read all of the responses but I am very upset that so many have voted no!

I didn't have a choice in my section, 10 hours of labour, and external and internal fetal monitor, epidural, 2hrs of pushing and fetal distress.................I am damn proud of how I gave birth and am insulted that anyone would even think I didn't give birth to my son!

I always felt that Giving birth meant going though the birth canal, its up to each person how they take the saying "giving birth" no need to be insulted though that someone else has a different opinion to your own

I do think mummies who had a section gave birth, but I can't bring myself to say I did. I was completely devastated that I couldn't push my baby out, I felt cheated and more than a little ashamed that I failed where others find it really easy (my sister delivered two of hers by herself on her bathroom floor so I had a big act to fall flat on my face in front of).

A few weeks after Xander was born (it took be ages just to say he was born, I called my mum up in a tizz asking how he could possibly have a birth mark when he was never born) well a few weeks after he was born I watched a program on extreme patenting and one woman said she didn't believe a section mum can possibly have the same bond with her baby. I cried for the whole night after that!

I'm in a much better place now :) of course my son was born and the drs sure as shit didn't give birth to him!!! I have my battle scar to prove it

I think there is every need to be insulted! People are saying that I didn't give birth to one of my sons!!!

Pretty sure I gave birth to both of them! They came from my body! I carried them for over 40 weeks! I was in labour with both of them! I pushed with both of them!

My son just didn't magically appear one night! He has a BIRTHday!

People tell me I failed, I cheated, I don't have the right to say I gave birth!

I do think mummies who had a section gave birth, but I can't bring myself to say I did. I was completely devastated that I couldn't push my baby out, I felt cheated and more than a little ashamed that I failed where others find it really easy (my sister delivered two of hers by herself on her bathroom floor so I had a big act to fall flat on my face in front of).

A few weeks after Xander was born (it took be ages just to say he was born, I called my mum up in a tizz asking how he could possibly have a birth mark when he was never born) well a few weeks after he was born I watched a program on extreme patenting and one woman said she didn't believe a section mum can possibly have the same bond with her baby. I cried for the whole night after that!

I'm in a much better place now :) of course my son was born and the drs sure as shit didn't give birth to him!!! I have my battle scar to prove it

It does take a hell of a long time to accept that you have had a section. It doesn't help when people tell you that you never gave birth though!

I have a better bond with Riley (section baby) than I do with Louie (VBAC) x

I think there is every need to be insulted! People are saying that I didn't give birth to one of my sons!!!

Pretty sure I gave birth to both of them! They came from my body! I carried them for over 40 weeks! I was in labour with both of them! I pushed with both of them!

My son just didn't magically appear one night! He has a BIRTHday!

People tell me I failed, I cheated, I don't have the right to say I gave birth!

As I said in an earlier post, most voting no or not sure are women who have had c-sections themselves.

And that makes it better?

People who have been through the same thing and telling me I never gave birth?!?!

I have given birth by csection and vaginally! Not like I only gave birth to one of my sons, they are both here! Not like I am biased as I have only had a section either!

And that makes it better?

People who have been through the same thing and telling me I never gave birth?!?!

I have given birth by csection and vaginally! Not like I only gave birth to one of my sons, they are both here! Not like I am biased as I have only had a section either!

I don't feel like I 'gave birth' to my son. He was born, but I didn't birth him, the surgeon did.

If you don't feel that way, then how I feel is irrelevant. But there are many women who don't feel like a c-section is giving birth in the same way as a vaginal birth.

If you choose to be offended, then that's up to you. I could be just as upset by you sweeping the trauma of an EMCS under the carpet because you personally felt you had given birth. But I know no two experiences are alike.

I certainly believe a c-section is giving birth. I laboured for 30 hours. I got stuck at 9cms, my baby had the monitor attached to her scalp and it was showing her as being in distress. I went through the pain and exhaustion that being in labour for 30 hours and not sleeping for 2 nights brings. I then had to have an emergency section to save both the life of my baby and my own. I still gave birth, she came out of my body! Regardless of how she was DELIVERED I still gave birth! And not only did I have the pain and exhaustion of labour, I also then had the pain of recovering from major surgery. Imagine not being able to see your baby when you want because you're not allowed to walk the 5 minutes to get there and you don't want to be a burden asking people to take you all the time. Yeh, it's the easy way out. Sure it is. When I'm still in pain more than 3 months on? Whoever said a section was an easy way out clearly never had one.

Umm Patch did I ever sweep the trauma under the carpet! No I bloody didn't! You will see in my response to lil_pixie that I said it took me a hell of a long time to accept that I didn't fail!

I hope to got that once you come to terms with it, probably when your new baby is born, that no one tells you that you failed, or that you didn't give birth! Feeling how you feel how do you think it feels being me being told that!

I GAVE BIRTH! MY SON EXITED MY BODY THEREFORE I GAVE BIRTH!

I had an 'elective' section - I didn't go into labour, I didn't have any contractions, my waters didn't break. My son arrived by appointment - I went into hospital at 8am and he was born by C-section at 10.01am. Yes, that's right, he was born by C-section.

I think for the ladies that have given birth by section, but somehow feel that they haven't given birth, that something has gone very wrong in your understanding of what to give birth is somewhere along the line. I'm not sure where the fault lies - possibly with society in general - but this perception that everything has to be done a certain way to be valid really needs to be challenged. There are an awful lot of women feeling cheated or as if they failed in some way, and it's very very sad.

I may be mistaken but after reading this whole thread with an awfully slow internet connection I think I spotted OP mentioning this was a man who came up with this ridiculous statement? (would have to go back and check) like seriously what the feck does he know??:dohh:

Hell yeah I gave birth and anyone who says I didn't can kiss my arse :thumbup:

My boy was born, I gave him life..he lived on MY placenta, this was attached to me. So the surgeon lifted him out :shrug: so what. I had 3 days of slow labour which then resulted in an EMCS at 32 weeks as the alternative was not safe for either of us.

As for the easy way out bullshit, I don't understand this..it is actual MAJOR surgery, it's not a flippin' papercut, when you stand up or god forbid, cough without holding your stomach it feels like your stomach is gonna explode open and your insides spill out on the floor, and you can forget about getting into bed in one single manouvre :nope: and all that with a newborn thrown in.. Yup, it's REAL EASY :dohh:

Umm Patch did I ever sweep the trauma under the carpet! No I bloody didn't! You will see in my response to lil_pixie that I said it took me a hell of a long time to accept that I didn't fail!

I hope to got that once you come to terms with it, probably when your new baby is born, that no one tells you that you failed, or that you didn't give birth! Feeling how you feel how do you think it feels being me being told that!

I GAVE BIRTH! MY SON EXITED MY BODY THEREFORE I GAVE BIRTH!

You stating that you feel you gave birth, so everyone who has had a c-section should also feel like they gave birth is disregarding those of us who don't feel we gave birth but have accepted it.

My answer to the poll was 'not sure', as each woman will feel differently. You're not extending me the same courtesy. I didn't give birth to LO. That's just how I feel. No amount of caps lock is going to change my feeling on that.

Nothing is wrong with my understanding of 'give birth'. It's not the birth part I can't relate to - clearly my son was born. It's the 'give'. I didn't do anything to get him here. Therefore I didn't give birth to him.

I think I'm a bit baffled that people feel this way about how they have given birth after so long. Sure, at the time, I maybe felt cheated, but I don't now because I have a healthy, happy child. I suppose I'm just not that emotionally attached to my birth experience.

I think I'm a bit baffled that people feel this way about how they have given birth after so long. Sure, at the time, I maybe felt cheated, but I don't now because I have a healthy, happy child. I suppose I'm just not that emotionally attached to my birth experience.

I have to agree, Rhys is 2 now it really doesn't bother me how he came into the world all I know is that I made him

I have to agree, Rhys is 2 now it really doesn't bother me how he came into the world all I know is that I made him

Also, just to add, I don't really want to dwell on things that were out of my control.

Also, just to add, I don't really want to dwell on things that were out of my control.

This is a great attitude, think I'm gonna try it out!

well said at the end of the day we all gave life to our babies and as long as they are safe and healthy who care what way the had to come into the world

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->