Is a c-section giving "birth"?

If its not giving birth then my daughter was never born. Stupid! After a 5 day labour and 6 hours pushing then EMCS, I certainly tried for a vaginal birth. But due to my pelvis shape, I can never have a vaginal delivery. But I gave birth!
My mum actually had alot of women tell her that she isn't a real woman as she didn't give birth, that it is a right of passage blah blah blah. She she was made to feel ashamed that she had an EMCS.

I don't think any definition of "birth" has said birth canal. It's not a matter of language. If you're "giving birth" you're doing the action of birth :shrug:

I wasn't talking about definitions, I said 'to me', it's my opinion. Your opinion is that a c section is giving birth, that's ok. There's no point having a poll about facts and definitions!!

I agree with lau on this one. One of the first things I said after LO was born was I didn't feel like I'd given birth to him. The surgeon brought him into this world.

But that's my opinion. Nothing to do with the technical definition. Just how I felt.

I still can't say "when I gave birth" because I don't feel I did, due to emcs. That being said, that's entirely my opinion on myself, not anyone else! I know it's wrong to feel that way. :)

And OMG Patch! How exciting! Congratulations!!! :happydance:

I still can't say "when I gave birth" because I don't feel I did, due to emcs. That being said, that's entirely my opinion on myself, not anyone else! I know it's wrong to feel that way. :)

You could be all technical and say, "When my child was pulled from my body by a surgeon through my lower abdomen...."

:haha: :winkwink: :hugs:

Thank you! :)

I'm totally the same - I can't say 'when I gave birth', because I don't feel like I did. It feels like I'm lying. I usually say 'when he was born' or something similar.

Thank you! :)

I'm totally the same - I can't say 'when I gave birth', because I don't feel like I did. It feels like I'm lying. I usually say 'when he was born' or something similar.

I agree. But only myself or others in similar situations can say it. Hypocritical but I don't care :)

:haha: ozzie, maybe I should try that! ;) I usually say "when she was born" too.
She's my little Macduff, that how he was able to kill Macbeth! ;)

     Despair thy charm,
And let the angel whom thou still hast served
Tell thee, Macduff was from his mother’s womb
Untimely ripped.
;)

:haha: ozzie, maybe I should try that! ;) I usually say "when she was born" too.
She's my little Macduff, that how he was able to kill Macbeth! ;)

     Despair thy charm,
And let the angel whom thou still hast served
Tell thee, Macduff was from his mother’s womb
Untimely ripped.
;)

:haha: I like that!

Although, could I really say Isaac was 'untimely ripped' at 18 days overdue? :wacko:

My section quite literally saved mine and my little dudes life, I had HELLP syndrome, my liver, kidneys and clotting had all packed up, I was hours from death, yet I still feel ashamed and guilty I had a section all because a select few don't see it as 'giving birth' and your some what belittled because you had a section :(

Lol, Jen was 13days overdue, and I still quote it! ;)

:buttonnose :hugs: I know, my c section saved our lives, but tho others haven't been cruel (in the real world) I still feel terrible and jealous and sad about it. But bloody hell, it hurt! As one midwife said to me, "don't feel sad, you put aside your ideal birth to bring your baby safely into the world, that's what a mother does!"

My section quite literally saved mine and my little dudes life, I had HELLP syndrome, my liver, kidneys and clotting had all packed up, I was hours from death, yet I still feel ashamed and guilty I had a section all because a select few don't see it as 'giving birth' and your some what belittled because you had a section :(

It's like a low blow when already down.

It's like a low blow when already down.

:hugs: buttonnose. For someone to tell me that having a section wasn't like giving birth would be so painful! I could have "given birth" vaginally, but there was no way to monitor Alex's heart. I'm just thankful he's here! :)

You guys are well within your right to feel very proud of your c sections, you sacrificed your birth for you and your babies lives. Why would anyone want you to feel guilty about that?! Anyway I'm gonna bow out now to watch the Olympics, this seems to be a 'if you haven't lived it you don't know' kinda thing x

It kinda does seem to be that way, because I saw C-sec differently before I had to have one and I was DEAD SET on not having one. I did tell mitch that if this baby was c-sec no more after, and Im standing by that after experiencing it. I can't do it again, it was hardcore, noooo lie. But giving birth my definition is when a child comes out of the womb, the def doesn't specify HOW baby comes out.. baby is born, therefore birth was given.

I'm not PROUD of my c-section, i wish i didn't need it, but what can ya do right? But it does make those of us that tried so hard to do this the "normal" way feel less like our experience counts when we're told that we never 'gave birth'.. and it does bring guilt.. and disappointment, like failing as a woman because we couldn't do the ONE thing women are built to do. -.- IDK maybe I'm just odd but thats how I feel..

I'm not PROUD of my c-section, i wish i didn't need it, but what can ya do right? But it does make those of us that tried so hard to do this the "normal" way feel less like our experience counts when we're told that we never 'gave birth'.. and it does bring guilt.. and disappointment, like failing as a woman because we couldn't do the ONE thing women are built to do. -.- IDK maybe I'm just odd but thats how I feel..

this exactly. My worst fear was whether or not I'd need an episiotomy. I never thought I'd need the emcs in my worst nightmare. I do feel like I failed as a woman and as a mom because my body couldn't physically hold him any longer. And even worse, I know that the important thing is that he is now healthy and safe. But that logic totally makes my emotions regarding the situation seem invalid and stupid. The one moment that is supposed to be magical turned into something out of horror films.

i voted yes of course! i had both my girls "naturally" whatever that means, well actually maybe not! i had pitocin with both, my waters broken and an epidural given with my second. as long as a baby comes out, one that has grown in you for nine months, youve given birth. i dont really say "gave birth" anyway, i say "had a baby" !:)

I voted yes.

I don't really care either way- if someone wanted to tell me that I didn't give birth to my daughter, I'd laugh in their face. Not that I have it tattooed across my forehead that I had a c-section, or that I talk about it with everyone I know. Really just my friends and family know :) It doesn't really matter- we're both here, living healthy lives for the most part. That was over 3 years ago for me, and despite complications after the fact, I am over it. Just not worth my energy to get upset over it :)

Geez...this question goes on my list of "is this a serious question?" list! Right up there with someone who once asked me if I ever forgot which twin I was. I think whoever wrote that FB status is either a half-brain, or is passive-agressively trying to hurt someone's feelings.

I am going to commit the sin of only reading the first page of this thread and then posting!
To the Op -
Yes, a C-section qualifies as giving birth. It is a stupid and insulting and ultimately pointless argument to suggest otherwise.
I have no superiority complex over my girlfriends who had to have someone cut them open to get their babies out. Yup, I pushed mine out, but I had chemical help all the way - from induction to epidural. I had wonderful, exciting, connected births with both my beautiful boys and I would have serious issues with anyone who suggested that my births were anything less than that because I needed chemical intervention and management to get my babies safely out.
I get very insulted by people who proclaim my birth "unnatural" or "traumatic for the baby" or any such BS, so I can only imagine how shitty it feels to have needed the section and have someone suggest that your birth didn't count. That you just had the doctors sort of lift the baby out of you and you didn't really birth your baby.
How unbelievably ignorant to suggest such a thing. :nope:
Them's fightin' words for me, I'm afraid! :ninja:

i honestly cant believe some people are saying no seriously i had to get an emergency c-section cause my little man was stuck tried forceps an all and he was not moving so am i ment to feel like i didnt give birth to my baby cause he didnt cum out the "normal" way im sorry but for people to say its not is disgusting i carried my son for 9 months and he came out of me so i say I GAVE BIRTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->