Is a c-section giving "birth"?

To the last few posters - most of us voting no or not sure are people who have had c-sections.

Of course it is giving birth - you are birthing your baby. Any method is giving birth.

so if its not giving birth what are we ment to say happy doctor took u out of my stomach day instead of happy BIRTHday

I think it is. I had a vaginal birth and don't envy the recovery time that comes with a section.

I was actually told my son wasn't born, but extracted.

Yeah, While my cousin was explaining to me how much her 24 hours of labor and 1.5 hours of pushing sucked.

........... My birth story was nowhere near as straight forward or easy as that, and she called him 'extracted not born' ... I wanted to cry. :( That's why I find it so offensive.. it makes it sound like I didn't go through anything to get him here.

Ugh, some people :hugs: Why is it so important anyways? Our children are here, safe, and loved. I don't care how they got here (c-section, vaginal birth, etc). All I care about is that children are well treated and loved. People preoccupy themselves with the silliest of things.

Yeah, While my cousin was explaining to me how much her 24 hours of labor and 1.5 hours of pushing sucked.

........... My birth story was nowhere near as straight forward or easy as that, and she called him 'extracted not born' ... I wanted to cry. :( That's why I find it so offensive.. it makes it sound like I didn't go through anything to get him here.

Some people are just ignorant bitches.

I tell people Lo 'came out the sun roof' :haha: But that is only because it was a horrible birth and I try to be a little light hearted about it
I most certainly would say it was 'giving birth' I mean what else is it when you stop being pregnant and birth your baby. No matter how that comes about

So my friend (who is an RN) decided to say something about me getting "the easy way out"..

I was like.. you know I did go through labour & pushing, the only bit I missed was crowning really. I realize that would have been painful but I wouldn't say standing up for the first time after your c-section tickles! Or standing/walking for the next week for that matter :wacko:

Or even being a mom for that first week, I remember I cried my eyeballs out because changing his diaper was physically painful to me and it made me feel like the worst mommy on the planet because I couldn't do the things he needed me for without serious pain. -.-

NOT THE EASY WAY OUT.

Some people may think a c section is easy/ a cop out but to me that's not the same as 'not giving birth' its a matter of language, the words giving birth refer to the baby coming down the birth canal. It's a description, not a judgement. I know I'm digging a big hole here but some ppl aren't getting why some people voted no.

My baby was in my birth canal, it took 2 doctors to pull her back up via c-section.

In my opinion, carrying a child and it coming out of your body, one way or another - is giving birth to a child. There are different types of DELIVERIES - but either way is giving birth!

Some people may think a c section is easy/ a cop out but to me that's not the same as 'not giving birth' its a matter of language, the words giving birth refer to the baby coming down the birth canal. It's a description, not a judgement. I know I'm digging a big hole here but some ppl aren't getting why some people voted no.

My baby was in my birth canal, it took 2 doctors to pull her back up via c-section.

In my opinion, carrying a child and it coming out of your body, one way or another - is giving birth to a child. There are different types of DELIVERIES - but either way is giving birth!

Well said!:thumbup:

People are voting "no" because they feel like they didn't give birth. That's not what the OP asked though. She asked "Is a c-section still giving birth?" There was no specifics.

People are voting "no" because they feel like they didn't give birth. That's not what the OP asked though. She asked "Is a c-section still giving birth?" There was no specifics.

But if you had a c section and don't feel like you gave birth, then your answer is probably no, it isn't giving birth. Otherwise you wouldn't feel like you hadn't given birth. If that makes sense. I voted not sure, because as much as I don't feel I gave birth, that doesn't mean I'd assume every woman who had a c-section felt the same.

I think it also depends on how labour went. I was never in labour, so I don't feel I did anything physically to birth Isaac. If I'd have been in labour, maybe I'd feel differently.

But if you had a c section and don't feel like you gave birth, then your answer is probably no, it isn't giving birth. Otherwise you wouldn't feel like you hadn't given birth. If that makes sense. I voted not sure, because as much as I don't feel I gave birth, that doesn't mean I'd assume every woman who had a c-section felt the same.

I think it also depends on how labour went. I was never in labour, so I don't feel I did anything physically to birth Isaac. If I'd have been in labour, maybe I'd feel differently.

I agree Patches I think not experiancing labour feels like a fundemental experiamce has been taken away and the whole "birthing" feeling was gone. One minute they are insode you the next not, also very little trauma cause it was calm and not an emergancy x

I voted that it was giving birth because by definition it is. Still can't bring myself to call it that because that is not what I always imagined my giving birth to be.

I voted that it was giving birth because by definition it is. Still can't bring myself to call it that because that is not what I always imagined my giving birth to be.

Exactly the same for me. :hugs:

Well I gave birth to Rhys, after 26 hours and getting to 9cms I did feel really proud of myself

With Liam and having an elective c section I still think of it as giving birth and I will still feel proud of giving birth to a beautiful baby, giving birth out of your vj does not make you a better mother and I am protecting myself against prob incontinence and so I can still have sex in the future. Selfish maybe to some people but I still have my own life to live as well as being a mother

To those who are still recovering after a c section, being a mother is so much more than how they came into the world please don't worry

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->