Is a membrane sweep a type of induction?

Jayneypops

Mum to 2 Fairy Princesses
Reaction score
Just wondering as I am hoping to avoid induction (am 40 weeks tomorrow), as I want a home water birth.

if my MW does a sweep at 41 weeks, I wont need to be monitored if it works will I?? :wacko:

This waiting game is driving me crazy, come on LO - I want you at home not hospital!!! :nope:

No they don't class a sweep as a form of induction and you won't need monitoring after it like you do with 'proper' induction methods.
It's basically an internal examination, and if your cervix is soft enough and slightly open, they insert a finger through and 'sweep' in a circle to separate the sac from the cervix. They say if it's going to work it will do within 48 hrs.
I had planned home births and asked for one after 40wks.
With my last baby they done one but I was already 2cm dilated and didn't have a clue. I didn't go into labour though for another 5 days.
Everyone's different, do what feels right for you.
Wishing you a quick and trouble free birth.:flower:

Thank you - that puts my mind a little more at ease. I dont mind the sweep, but am against any other form of induction as I cant imagine anything worse than being stuck to a bed, unable to move with a drip in my arm - no thanks!

fingers crossed baby comes at home!

No you will not need monitoring, and typically they say that if you don't go into labor within 48 hrs of the sweep, then it has failed, however, I went into labor within 72 hrs of my sweep. What is most important is try to remain as stress free as possible. I've heard that if you are stressed, the baby will feel that this is an unsafe environment to be born in, and will remain inside. I was stressing about being induced because my doc mentioned it at my last visit, but as soon as I calmed down, I went into labor on my own.

If it puts you into labor it is technically an induciton, but they don't monitor you afterwords. Usually they just send you home and wait for labor to start, and if it doesn't within a few days they do it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->