• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

is anyone a lawyer or know what is legal/illegal with hours work in the UK?

nic18

Reaction score
basically I worked 13 and a half hours extra last week and my work have put them into time owed.
1. without actually telling me (found out on my payslip)
2. I have worked the hours and haven't been asked if I want it paid (which I do) or time owed.

so basically I am asking is it illegal to work your extra hours then be told/find out it's time owed.

As far as I am aware, time in lieu or payment for overtime is decided by the employer....not the employee.

I am so confused. been told 2 different things and want to know before I go in tomorrow to speak to them

thank you.
I understand that they can give you time in lieu but do they not need to tell you before you do the shifts not after?

Overtime stipulations relating to your role should already be detailed in your signed contract? So you'd really need to have a look over what your contract says.

That's assuming you do have a copy of your signed contract of employment.

yes I will have a copy of my contract somewhere. thank you

Have a look over what that says then about your overtime, if it's still not really clear to you though definitely bring this up with your employer so you can understand in te future.

If it's detailed in the contract that you can either be paid, or take time in lieu then I think this should have been discussed with you before you undertook the overtime, and therefore you would be warranted to ask for the payment if that's your preferred method.

Hope you manage to sort it soon enough :flower:

my work will do anything in their power to get in their way (in lieu) because they have went over their budget this month. and this is happening to everyone. nobody has been told so wish me luck lol.

but thank you so much for your help x

My employer doesn't pay over time, it's time off in lieu (a university). I believe the county council I worked in last year was the same. I thought it was quite normal tbh and haven't been paid over time since I worked in a supermarket at 16.

yes the 2 years I have worked there all my overtime has been paid

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->