Is becoming pregnant while obese ethical?

I think questioning the ethics is what is sitting uneasy with most.

Most of us have to adapt our lifestyles when we fall pregnant. I gave up drinking whilst TTC and watched what I ate. As long as you make a conscious effort to look after yourself.

Bringing up other conditions such as a blood disorder and Spina Bifida is irrelevant because you did not choose to have these conditions and you can't avoid having them. You can avoid being obese.

Surely it's completely relevant seeing as your OP was relating to risks to the mother and baby? There are far more risks for me and my baby than there would be for an overweight or obese woman. (in fact, I have already lost 5 babies before I was even diagnosed) I can't do very much about those risks, but the risks are still there, never the less. So, if it's unethical for an obese woman to have a baby due to the risks involved, it must be unethical for me to have a baby too, as there are more risks.

I was classed as morbitdly obese when I got pregnant. The bmi scale doesnt really work for me as im 5'2 and once you bcome not average, average graphs dont really work out.

So I have PCos and a issue with my pituitary gland. Spina biffida as well as some dodgy joints and degenerative disc disese. Woohoo for me!

So at 17 stone and 24 I wandered off to my consultant to say time for babies (knowing in theory it would be a problem) He gave me a pill that gave me my first AF in 7 years aswell as taking me off my hormone medication. Never once told me to loose any weight. 6 weeks later I get my BFP! Which was infact so shocking my consultant rang me himself to ask if the faxed hed recieved was a miss print.

Now I was pregnant at the same time as a girl/friend from work. She is about a size 6-8. Altough I do not know her exact weight shes most certainly slim. She spent her pregnancy eating her way though chinese take-away every night and most of Thortons everyday.She gained 5 stone during those 9 months. I continued to eat in my normal healthy cooking for scratch with fresh food every night lifestyle and gained 7lbs when I was pregnant. I also did gentle exersie classes 3 times a week and walked more. She did no clases and stopped exersising as 'it didnt matter now'

SO who was healthier in pregnancy? Who was putting thier baby/themselves at more risk and under more strain. Me who has never had high blood sugar/.pressure/ cholestrol or her who gained 5 stone through seeing pregnancy as and excuse to 'eat for two' and break with how she normally treats her body?

I am a very active person who gets out and abuot every single day doing activities. I eat a healther diet than most other people I know, be thing significantly bigger or smaller than me.

You now wht I worry about passin on to my daughter. My spinabifida and cancer! Not being fat. It doest affect my life in the slightest .

Infact I am currently back under consultant care due to loosing weight as I in theory shouldn be able to loose that weight that I pu on when I was poorly.

Personally I think it is wise for an obese person to lose weight before TTC. Just as I think someone underweight should try and gain some, a smoker should give up, a drinker should stop drinking etc. Of course, it isn't always possible before falling pregnant but as long as there is an attempt to stay healthy that is good.

I don't think this thread was meant to be offensive, it is just a debate. To suggest someone is 'as skinny as a rake' isn't nice though. Just because someone is thin doesn't mean they have no body issues. Sorry to go on a bit of a tangent but if that had been an analogy about an overweight person there would have been objections.

I think the problem here is that everyone assumes because someone is overweight, that means they are unhealthy. I work out every day for at least 40 minutes of cardio. Plus I have zero junk food in my house. But I'm classified as obese. And even at my skinniest with nearly no fat on my body, I'm still overweight. :shrug: I know skinny girls that shove so much food down their throats that it's insane. A friend from highschool could eat anything in the world and she never gained an ounce. Constantly eating pizza, candy, junk food. She never exercised either. So who's the healthier one? If you stood the two of us beside eachother without knowing our history, you'd immediately say she is. How is that right? Skinny does NOT equal health. It's ridiculous to think otherwise.

I would never say someone shouldn't have kids because they have some extra weight. That's their decision. End of. :shrug:

I had my babies back when weight was nowhere near the 'issue' that it seems to be now and BMI measurements weren't even heard of :shrug:

I guess in retrospect I would nowadays be classed as having been obese during both my 2nd and 3rd pregnancies but wasn't classed as high risk and in fact had home births with both and with no arguments from my GP or midwife - in all honesty I think that the current obsession with designating pregnancies as 'high risk' is just the medical profession covering their asses and forcing pregnant women into boxes to make the maternity staff's lives easier by ruling out so many birthing options that they find a pain in the butt, like water births and home birth. They are also SO obsessed with their wretched monitoring equipment that they have forgotten how to assist in a birth without relying on their technology... and a labouring Mum being overweight makes that difficult for them, rather than for the mother herself or the baby :shrug:

I had easy pregnancies, incredibly easy births, healthy happy babies and - for the record - not one of my children suffer from weight problems - the girls are size 6/8 and 8/10 and my son is 6'1 with a 29" waist LOL

I am actually quite shocked at the direction this thread has taken. The OP was trying to open a discussion, but it's turned into a lot of people getting offended and basically saying 'well it was OK for me so it must be OK to be obese and choose to get pregnant'. At the risk of getting shot down, this strikes me as classic 'It won't happen to me' mentality - Risk is not an all-or-nothing thing. Increased risk means just that - it doesn't mean that the whole of science and the medical profession have got it wrong just because some people get lucky and escape any of the possible outcomes of that risk.

Personally I would never TRY to get pregnant without reducing any risk-factors that I may have... obesity is a significant risk-factor and can be addressed. Yes, medical issues may make this more of a challenge for some than others - but it can be addressed.

Just some food for thought from materials forming part of my degree course:

- French studies in 2007 put the increased costs of prenatal care in overweight and obese women at between 5 and 16 times higher than women of healthy weight, and
- The percentage of babies admitted to intensive care as 3 and a half times higher!
- Obese women who manage to conceive are 3 times more likely to suffer miscarriage or have a baby with spina bifida or other defect.

If it was simply about the risk to oneself, I would agree that it's fine to just let people do what they like, but it's not!

PS no I am not skinny as a rake ... I am healthy

:flower:

I had an increased risk to complications because I had twins so there are complications for any pregnancy. You can develop a complication weighing 7st, 10st or 15st! Underweight women have an increased risk, the reason people are offended is because this post isnt aimed at women who have high risk pregnancies because they are underweight or because they have an underlying health issue its because some women are obese. With how big an issue being obese is in society it could have been addressed completely different.
Like is it ethical to have a child when being overweight, underweight or an underlying health issue. Why does it have to just target obese/bigger women. Like there isnt enough pressure to be slim. :shrug:
And, who knows what that women tried before she fell pregnant. People just assume 'oh look at her, she eats lots and doesnt do anything to keep fit' who knows what she does? I am on slimming world trying to reduce my weight as I am classed as obese at 5ft2 and weighing 13st! Nobody knows what I am doing to get down to an ideal weight so who is anyone to judge?

Yes there can be complications in any pregnancy but certain causes can be addressed. I could start a thread about the ethics of planning a pregnancy when underweight, a smoker or whatever but that wasn't the question here.

And, just because the population is becoming more obese this doesn't remove the risks it poses and make it OK.

And for the record I am not one to judge at all. I just had to throw in my pennyworth because I felt this ethical discussion had been hijacked and turned into something else.

I dont think anywhere someone has said because the population is becoming obese it makes it ok. I am saying with the pressure of being slim around its a bit unfair to single out just obese women. There are lots of things people do when pregnant that they shouldnt. Why did it have to be just obese women? Thats why people are offended.

Why not start a thread about becoming pregnant with other issues? Ethical debate doesn't single anyone out, it's about rational discussion but this turned into lots of knee-jerk reactions instead :(

Im not going to sit here going over and over. I agree with the other ladies that this post can seem offensive as its targeted at just one kind of woman!
It could have been worded completely different. End of.

Personally I think it is wise for an obese person to lose weight before TTC. Just as I think someone underweight should try and gain some, a smoker should give up, a drinker should stop drinking etc. Of course, it isn't always possible before falling pregnant but as long as there is an attempt to stay healthy that is good.

I don't think this thread was meant to be offensive, it is just a debate. To suggest someone is 'as skinny as a rake' isn't nice though. Just because someone is thin doesn't mean they have no body issues. Sorry to go on a bit of a tangent but if that had been an analogy about an overweight person there would have been objections.

i totally agree with this. all of it.

i totally agree with this. all of it.

:thumbup:

I am actually quite shocked at the direction this thread has taken. The OP was trying to open a discussion, but it's turned into a lot of people getting offended and basically saying 'well it was OK for me so it must be OK to be obese and choose to get pregnant'. At the risk of getting shot down, this strikes me as classic 'It won't happen to me' mentality - Risk is not an all-or-nothing thing. Increased risk means just that - it doesn't mean that the whole of science and the medical profession have got it wrong just because some people get lucky and escape any of the possible outcomes of that risk.

Personally I would never TRY to get pregnant without reducing any risk-factors that I may have... obesity is a significant risk-factor and can be addressed. Yes, medical issues may make this more of a challenge for some than others - but it can be addressed.

- French studies in 2007 put the increased costs of prenatal care in overweight and obese women at between 5 and 16 times higher than women of healthy weight, and
- The percentage of babies admitted to intensive care as 3 and a half times higher!
- Obese women who manage to conceive are 3 times more likely to suffer miscarriage or have a baby with spina bifida or other defect.

If it was simply about the risk to oneself, I would agree that it's fine to just let people do what they like, but it's not!

Something I've learned from MY degree courses (including courses in epidemiology nutrition, human sexuality & childbearing, and women's health):

----And the costs are increased because doctors insist on classifying women as higher risk simply because of their weight
----The babies are admitted to ICU because D's intervene in obese women's labor/pregnancy because they "assume" there are going to be problems when there aren't any.
----Saying "who manage to conceive" makes it sound like it's not likely, when, in fact, most obese women aren't infertile
----something being 3 times more likely doesn't mean it's likely in most circumstances.

Being obese have having a healthy pregnancy doesn't make a woman "lucky" as you put it - because most obese women have normal, healthy pregnancies.
There is risk in ALL pregnancies, and simply because someone is higher risk doesn't mean that it is unethical for them to become pregnant.

And as for what I've highlighted, this truly is a case of MY body is MY body and it's no one else's business.

I don't see the problem with debating about something about a certain group of people. There are debates about teen mums , anorexia, gay people being parents, surrogacy etc etc. All targeting a specific group of people or persons. What's the difference?
xx

I don't see the problem with debating about something about a certain group of people. There are debates about teen mums , anorexia, gay people being parents, surrogacy etc etc. All targeting a specific group of people or persons. What's the difference?
xx

Indeed! It's a shame that offence gets taken - the OP started a thread here which attempted to discuss a point, and as I said before it quickly became something else. Shame.

I have a BMI over 35 and a size 22 and i was so before i fell pregnant. I used to hide behind having PCOS saying that was the cause of my weight but it wasnt, it was due to portion size and times of eating... Anyway getting back to the point.

I was not obese when i fell pregnant with my daughter Alyssa yet i lost her at 23 weeks.
With my pregnancy with Mathew, i was classed as high risk as i have a naturally very fast heart rate and higher than normal blood pressure. As soon as i found out i was pregnant, the doctor monitored my BP weekly and when it went up, i was put on medication and it was fine. I actually lost weight in pregnancy as i ate at the right times ect.

Now i think it depends on the persons health... apart from a faulty ticker, i am 100% well and i cope very well as a mother but if you are too fat then of course that will affect your parenting skills and there for i think you should do something about it.

BUT again i think its each to their own xx

It would have been a much different debate if it had been phrased: If you had a health condition you could fix to make yourself more healthy, is it ethical to not do so before attempting to become pregnant. I think most people would agree that if you can, you ought to, but often with obesity it's not something you can just do. And viewing obesity as an external indicator of health can be incorrect as well.

Something I've learned from MY degree courses (including courses in epidemiology nutrition, human sexuality & childbearing, and women's health):

----And the costs are increased because doctors insist on classifying women as higher risk simply because of their weight
----The babies are admitted to ICU because D's intervene in obese women's labor/pregnancy because they "assume" there are going to be problems when there aren't any.
----Saying "who manage to conceive" makes it sound like it's not likely, when, in fact, most obese women aren't infertile
----something being 3 times more likely doesn't mean it's likely in most circumstances.

Being obese have having a healthy pregnancy doesn't make a woman "lucky" as you put it - because most obese women have normal, healthy pregnancies.
There is risk in ALL pregnancies, and simply because someone is higher risk doesn't mean that it is unethical for them to become pregnant.

And as for what I've highlighted, this truly is a case of MY body is MY body and it's no one else's business.

It's not just because nasty docs classify and intervene when unnecessary. It is because the risks really are higher. It's because special equipment may be necessary for treating very obese patients.
That's like saying that doctors intervene unnecessarily when they test for Downs in pregnancies to older mothers. Although that's a whole other topic!

Also, yes of course obese people can conceive - it's just less likely, and less likely to end healthily - the facts are well documented.

Something being 3 times more likely doesn't make it VERY likely in most circumstances, no. It makes it MORE likely. I don't go for a smear because I think it likely I have cervical cancer, I do it to reduce my risk. I have also sorted out some of my lifestyle issues before TTC, to increase chances of a healthy conception, pregnancy, birth and beyond. I'd feel neglectful not to reduce risk factors!

I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do at all - I just think that it's easy to switch off to rationality, facts and sensible discussion when one believes themselves to be a special case. We are all guilty of it at times. The simple facts are that obesity brings complications - with pregnancy as well as in life in general. It's a valid point for debate; sadly the emotive side can all-too-easily overtake anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->