is cc the only way?

S

Sarah10

I need some advice ladies. As some of you may know we've had problems with jayden's sleep since he was 3.5months old, he wakes anything from 20-60times a night for his dummy, and tbh i feel like absolute shit, i'm always going dizzy, the odd night he will go 20minutes without it. Really need help to get him off it. He goes to bed at 8ish and gets up at 1am properly, stays up til 4am then back to sleep for half hour, and barely naps either. Really don't know what to do anymore........
he has alot of milk in the day, has 1-2 feeds at night and is also on 3 meals a day, so i know the dummy waking isnt hunger since he has milk at night.
Spoke to HV who told me to wait it out. he puts his dummy in if hes awake but because he's half asleep he can't at night. my brothers 2.5yr old has a similar problem he throws his so don't want 2 get to that stage where he still wakes god knows how many times for it then deliberatley throws it.

Also he isn't waking from teething, although he dribbles alot he doesn't seem in pain, hes fine once dummy is back in until he spits it out again

Noah started waking up between every 10-45 minutes for about 3 weeks when he was 4 months and I just couldn't cope! Some other ladies at my bf support group told me the only way was cc so I had to give it a go otherwise I would have gone insane! It has really worked for us, he went to only waking once during the night- other than this last week of him teething and being a bit poorly so he's woken twice which I can completely deal with! We got rid of his dummy when in his cot too because I think that was causing most of the problems. It was really hard to listen to him cry - especially the first night at 90 minutes but it does get better I promise! Also make sure you put him down the same for his daytime naps, good luck x

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time :(
I didn't want to R&R but I don't have much advice because my LO will not even take a dummy in the night.
I do hope your situation gets better soon as I know how hard it is to function without any sleep :hugs:

Oh Hun, you cannot keep going like that!!

i think if the Dummy is the cause then it just might have to be a matter of biting the bullet and getting him off it. They say it takes an average of 10 days to break a habit...by the sounds of it you'd been dealing with it longer than that already.

I can recommend a book that we used with Dylan (and it saved us!) it's called Save Our Sleep by Tizzie Hall. Perhaps if you can teach him to self settle before removing the dummy it might make it a little easier to do.

Basically I think he needs to learn how to settle himself. Does he move about the cot? Sleep in a sleeping bag? Etc...things that might also help soothe him. Does he have a comforter in there that he can grab to help replace the dummy if you don't go to him straight away?

The dummy needs to go at the same time as you start whatever sleep training method you choose. It's his sleep prop and he can't transition from one cycle of sleep to another without out - hence the constant waking. Macy was the same, by the time she was 3months it had become a prop and she went a maximum of 20 minutes all night before needing the dummy. One morning I just lost it and threw them all out and we had 3 days of tantrums before she started to sleep through, waking once for a quick feed and going straight back to sleep. Never looked back.

Have a look at pick-up-put-down-cry-down, might be an idea - that's what I used which 80% improved her sleep and self-settling and then by the time she was 4months I started CC.

If you really want to stop the night wakings to stop you have to be consistent! xx

Thanks all so much, we are going to start at the weekend, he's already woken 12 times so far and he's been down since 7:45pm.
With the CC how often do i go in? Also what if he gets really worked up? do i pick him up, leave him? I feel so horrible i just feel so shit, im always arguing with o.h because we are both living on zero sleep, he has to concentrate to get peoples books edited so we barely sleep in the same room even when we do we are up every 5 minutes. He throws it out of his mouth down the side of his cot then wants it a few seconds later. i honestly don't mind the night feeds, its the dummy in and out which is really tiring

Thanks all so much, we are going to start at the weekend, he's already woken 12 times so far and he's been down since 7:45pm.
With the CC how often do i go in? Also what if he gets really worked up? do i pick him up, leave him? I feel so horrible i just feel so shit, im always arguing with o.h because we are both living on zero sleep, he has to concentrate to get peoples books edited so we barely sleep in the same room even when we do we are up every 5 minutes. He throws it out of his mouth down the side of his cot then wants it a few seconds later. i honestly don't mind the night feeds, its the dummy in and out which is really tiring

I know how you feel and its realy awful feeling so tired all the time, try and ride out the CC and it will be worth it in the end. This is the website I used it gives the times and what to do. It does say for babies over 6 months but most people will do it before then. The first night will be the hardest but dont give in and pick him up!!

https://www.askbaby.com/baby-sleep-training.htm

i tried pick up put down once but he just went hysterical and it took a really long time to calm him down:dohh:

but i know a lot of people have had sucess with it, pupd or cc seem worth a try as it must be really hard having so little and so interupted sleep:hugs:

Sarah - I have followed your previous threads and comments and I know you have tried everything but I think it is time that you tried some sleep training. You won't be a bad Mum for doing this. It will help all your family including Jayden. I also realise you are not looking for STTN but just a better quality of sleep which you all need (including Jayden).

I feel that I often mention this site but I used www.babysleepanswers.co.uk. I bought the book and used the mentoring system. I liked it because it is not 'one' method of training but you can decide which system works best for you and your family's situation. The mentoring system (either the bought system or just the email support) means there is someone who can answer specific questions, personalise the training and be general moral support. It also means you are doing it accurately meaning the best chance of success and ensuring Jayden understands and benefits from it as well. I think there is also an e-book about ditching the dummy.

Sleep training is hard, particularly when you are also sleep deprived. My advice is to keep at it. You can break these habits and everyone will be happier. Remember that at 3am. Good luck and keep us all posted and use us as moral support as well. XX

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->