Is deli meat really going to give me listeria? :)

xSamantha

Me, Hubby, & 2 Sons! :D
Reaction score
Hey girls..

So, I generally love sandwiches for lunch. If I can't eat a sandwich, I don't know what I'd eat.. Will I really get listeria from lunch meats? It's kind of hard to give up.

If you're really worried, just stick the meat in the microwave first. Then make your sandwich. :)

I'll admit I've had deli meat a few times (like 2x). And I try REALLY hard not to. But ya know....sometimes its all there is to eat at a company meeting, or someone's party. :shrug:

The risk is very very low. I think you'll be fine. I ate deli meats with all of my babies and they're all fine and I never got sick.

It isn't one of the 'no no' foods in the UK so I eat cold cuts all the time.

Its just common sense really, you can eat it if its fresh and what not, if it looks or smells funky monky leave it well alone. I havent ever stopped eating or drinking the things i want in pregancy and havent had an issue. I personally think people can be extreme and fret too much during pregnancy.
You will be fine - enjoy your sandwiches!!

Could it make you sick? Sure. Will it? Probably not. I microwave deli meat for 20 seconds before making sandwiches, but to be honest it's habit at this point more than anything. I will eat the occasional Subway sandwich or club sandwich at a restaurant that isn't microwaved. Yes, it's taking a chance, but as far as chances go it's pretty minor! :D

I asked about my OB about it during my first visit because I had been craving a turkey sub like crazy and she said not to do it. She said she used to tell patients it wasn't a big deal but several years ago here in Canada one of our major production plants had a listeria outbreak and lots of people got sick. I think a couple even died. So now she just says not to do it "just in case" even though she acknowledges it is a very low risk. The only deli I have had is the pepperoni baked on pizza but that has been thoroughly heated.

I can't wait until bubs is born and I can finally have that turkey sub! I have already told DH is going out to the nearest sub shop and bringing one back for me! (though I'm hoping the hospital will provide me a deli sandwich as one of my meals)

my clinic says to limit it to 2-3 times per week... put it in microwave first if concerned but the chance of listeria is low. i dont microwave my lunchmeat. I've had it maybe 10 times since pregnancy.

I just microwave the meat whenever I make a sandwich.

I'm dying for jimmy johns...microwaving is not an option for me. BLEH! I'd rather go without....I've been having a mental battle on this with myself for weeks!!

The risk is low but if you are the one in a million that it happens to it doesn't really matter. It has happened and, to me, the risk isn't worth it because of all the things I can't control this one I can. I hate using the microwave so I just heat up some in a pan. With dd the first meal I had after she was born was a cold turkey sandwich and I plan to with this one too. :)

The risk is low but if you are the one in a million that it happens to it doesn't really matter. It has happened and, to me, the risk isn't worth it because of all the things I can't control this one I can. I hate using the microwave so I just heat up some in a pan. With dd the first meal I had after she was born was a cold turkey sandwich and I plan to with this one too. :)

I'm having pâté on toast as my first meal!

Deli meats are a major No No in France. The risk is low but you don't want to be the unlucky statistic.

Listeria can really harm the baby big time and worst of all the symptoms may not be apparent for days or weeks after exposure. Though that said, it is easy to treat but only if you recognise the symptoms.

This isn't for deli meat, but just an example that foods can be contaminated and recalled after you've eaten it. :( Soft cheeses and listeria are another concern.

Someone just posted this in 2nd tri:
https://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm387775.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->