is FF easier than bf?

I also thought formula can give baby bad belly/wind? I don't know though :/
The best thing about bf is that when LO is crying putting her on the breast will comfort her 99% of the time. I dunno what you can do for formula babies?

Also, in regards to painful nips have you tried nipple shields? They're really handy when you're sore

See, these are the posts in the FF section that get people on the defense. Of course you can easily sooth a formula fed baby and MANY bf babies have tummy issues and MANY ff babies don't, if you don't know then why did you say that?

I don't mean to offend anyone, I asked the same question but in the bf section last week and a lot of the people there said that formula can cause a bad tummy.

I said it because that's the response I got from asking that question but I don't know from personal experience as I haven't tried it.

Formula might cause an upset tummy in an EBF baby, because they're not used to it. Like if you were a strict vegan and then ate meat. People that eat meat all the time don't get upset tummies, it's the change in diet that's the problem if you see what I mean?

Never having BF'd I guess I can't comment, but I have never found FF a challenge in any way. For me, making up bottles and feeding is the same as cooking meals for my family - you feed them, of course you do! Also, it's easy enough to whip out a bottle of pre-mix while out and about - goodness, I can even lean over and feed him in the car.

As for soothing a FF baby - both my LOs have loved to have a bottle before naps and bed as it soothed them. I'm guessing this is the same as the breast, a source of a pleasant thing for them, a comfort and a bond. My boys are big dummy-lovers lol :blush:

FFing was challenging for us, it took us over 2 months to find suitable formula & bottles, he was suffering from reflux so finding a good formula wasn't easy.

He wasn't into milk, we had to schedule his feeds as he never cried for bottles, we had to feed him in a dark room with no distractions, he didn't like us to hold him to feed, so we had to feed him on a pillow. Feeding in public was very challenging as he used to get distracted with the surroundings, & I had to find quiet places to feed him. This is in addition to carrying a flask with hot water, another one with cold water, formula, 2 bottles, spoons for stirring.

I also used to prepare fresh feeds, so I had to schedule everything to make sure he gets his bottle on time. He didn't carry his own bottle when he was older, he didn't allow anyone other than me to give him a bottle

He was also on Dr Browns bottles & those are a hassle to clean. So nope, it wasn't easy.

As for sleep, he was a good sleeper as a baby but he didn't sleep well from 12+ months. As for soothing, bed sharing was the solution for us. He was not a cuddly baby, but he's a very cuddly toddler. Until now we bed share. I didn't bond at 1st but it was fine when he was 2 months.

BF is great because there is no preparation and all the goodness contained in it. But I found it very stressful in the beginning, trying to get the supply established. Once that is done, it was months before I felt comfortable she was getting enough to eat, especially during all the growth spurts.

FF is great because there is never a question how much they are getting and you don't have to stuff yourself full of herbs and supplements to help the supply.

My baby was combi-fed and never had much issue with gas, so I can't comment there.

As others have said it entirely depends on the baby. Some are a nightmare to FF, some are a dream to FF and the same with BF. Also both BF and FF are skills and once you have been doing them for a while and they are going well they become easy. Nearly three years of FF and making bottles means I can now wash bottles and make formula very quickly. I hardly have to think about it anymore, I've always found it easy but then I have 2 who FF 'ed like a dream with no issues whatsoever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->