Is he slow?!

Marzipan_girl

A lioness and her cub
Reaction score
I'm starting to worry now because Rory is coming up to 8 months and still wont sit up without support. He rolls and everything and can stand against furniture...he's not "behind" with anything else but he just won't sit up! It's like he CAN but when I try to get him to he straightens his back and decides to lie down instead :wacko:
I don't know what to do....I did ask in babyclub like a month ago if this was normal and they said it was...but that was then. And I really can't help but look at pictures of other babies who were born in October who are already crawling and sitting and even pulling themselves to stand, walking maybe and someone in babyclub said their 7 month old could actually say "daddy" "mumma" "water" "give some" and a few other words with meaning!!!
Rory just seems so behind compared to that and i'm worried. He also doesn't like finger foods. Only ever eats mush. Like maybe I didn't eat well enough in pregnancy or something and now his brain isn't what it should be :shrug:
Argh I don't know if I should be worried or not!

Don't be worried!

I know you've heard it before but every baby develops differently! Some tart sitting up early, but are late crawlers, Rory may be an early walker! If he's hitting all his other milestones I would think there's no need to worry.

As for fingers foods the only thing I would suggest is persist, or try giving lumpier foods. We do BLW, that may be something to look into (different finger foods etc) also, I ate awfully in pregnancy, I can assure you that has nothing to do with it - don't beat yourself up. xxx

He might just not have the confidence in himself to sit unaided?
Every baby develops at there own speed. Don't blame yourself hun.
I wouldn't worry about it just yet :) x

i have a lazy baby who barely discovered today that he can get on all fours and rock back and forth for at least 10 seconds before doing the army crawl again :dohh: dont worry hun but if you want to put your mindd at peace then speak with your doctor :hugs:

All babies are different, I don't think he's slow and it's definatly NOT your fault!

If he's standing against furniture he's obviously got the strenth, maybe his balance is stopping him? Do you sit him up with support much? Does he go into the bumbo to get him used to 'sitting' x

It doesn't sound like he's slow at all!

Our doctor's doesn't expect babies to be sitting until 9 months (so we were told, as they were surprised Finn was at his 6 month check up). Their time line is 6 months: Sitting supported, 9 month: Sitting, 12 months: Crawling, 18 months: Walking.

Obviously, this varies drastically as some babies walking at nine months, etc, but it gives a good basis as to knowing when a baby may need some help.

Can you prop him up in something to sit? Boppy, Bumbo, etc? Finn went from doing that to sitting proper overnight. He'll surprise you, I'm sure!

I'm starting to worry now because Rory is coming up to 8 months and still wont sit up without support. He rolls and everything and can stand against furniture...he's not "behind" with anything else but he just won't sit up! It's like he CAN but when I try to get him to he straightens his back and decides to lie down instead :wacko:
I don't know what to do....I did ask in babyclub like a month ago if this was normal and they said it was...but that was then. And I really can't help but look at pictures of other babies who were born in October who are already crawling and sitting and even pulling themselves to stand, walking maybe and someone in babyclub said their 7 month old could actually say "daddy" "mumma" "water" "give some" and a few other words with meaning!!!
Rory just seems so behind compared to that and i'm worried. He also doesn't like finger foods. Only ever eats mush. Like maybe I didn't eat well enough in pregnancy or something and now his brain isn't what it should be :shrug:

The bolded - bullshit
Don't worry about it hun,he doesnt really sound behind to me. They're not supposed to sit alone til 9 months! Just people see others doing it earlier and think that must be the "norm". He'll get there :D As for the food, Noah wasnt interested in 'real' food until fairly recently. Don't worry about that either :D

Keep going the way you are. he's not slow and he's not doing anything wrong!

The bolded - bullshit
Don't worry about it hun,he doesnt really sound behind to me. They're not supposed to sit alone til 9 months! Just people see others doing it earlier and think that must be the "norm". He'll get there :D As for the food, Noah wasnt interested in 'real' food until fairly recently. Don't worry about that either :D

LOL I actually started a thread about it to ask if anyone elses could and a load of people were telling me that theirs could. I just find it SO hard to believe! Someone else said theirs spoke at 4 months!
https://www.babyandbump.com/baby-club/611217-can-7-month-old-really-talk-meaning.html

Awe Dont worry , Hes fine , They all learn at their own pace. Jaymee Could sit at 4 months but refused to walk crawl anything else until she was well over a year. and Now shes a Very Smart 2 year old so dont worry he will do it all on his own pace

The bolded - bullshit

LOL I actually started a thread about it to ask if anyone elses could and a load of people were telling me that theirs could. I just find it SO hard to believe! Someone else said theirs spoke at 4 months!
https://www.babyandbump.com/baby-club/611217-can-7-month-old-really-talk-meaning.html

:roll: Some people have seriously over-active imaginations. Why not just be excited and proud when it really happens?

Nooo Yasmin babe he's not slow at all :hugs: babies aren't expected to sit up properly until they're at least 9 months (i think, could be 10) honestly i wouldn't worry, he'll do it in his own time :hugs:
See people, THIS is what competative threads do to people :dohh: it's awful :(

Like others said, he is fine, and 9 months is the expected time for babies to learn to sit. I think the rate that babies learn things is based on genetics more than anything. Maybe he just doesn't like to sit and would prefer to be on his tummy so he can move around? Once Arianna learned she could move all she wants to do is be on her tummy so she can get around.

The bolded - bullshitDon't worry about it hun,he doesnt really sound behind to me. They're not supposed to sit alone til 9 months! Just people see others doing it earlier and think that must be the "norm". He'll get there :D As for the food, Noah wasnt interested in 'real' food until fairly recently. Don't worry about that either :D

:roll: Some people have seriously over-active imaginations. Why not just be excited and proud when it really happens?

Agreed...people that say their baby can speak at that age actually really annoy me! Babbling isn't the same as talking, and they will continue to make the same noise because parents get excited etc. they don't actually know what they're saying.

Don't worry though hun, all babies are different and it sounds like he's doing great! X

I wouldn't let any of that worry you,honestly.
I read that Rory holds his own bottle?Aliyah still doesn't do that. She holds her beaker but thats it. All the babies at baby group hold their own bottle younger than Aliyah but it doesn't worry me as she is doing something that the next baby isn't.

I don't think there should be age limits on these things.

Ah thanks girls! I think I agree about some mums and their over active imaginations. Yeh I definitely think i've allowed others competitiveness do this to me. And yeh he can feed himself with his bottle which I guess is pretty cool so i'll bear that in mind! :D However if 9 months hits and he's still not sitting up I may be back with another thread hehe :haha:

Haha awww hon... he's doing very well. PLEASE don't worry so much!

PS mine sat, crawled, cruised, and stood with slight support within 2 weeks of each other at nearly 10 months. 10 months!

it's not like they do one movement... wait... do another... wait (well, some do) - sometimes they just decide to do everything in one burst.

One tip that someone gave me was to sit on the floor, with him sitting against me, between my legs and let him rest on me a little so that he could gain confidence. Maybe try that?

Maxxies birthday is in 2 weeks, so hes technically 10 months, and cant sit up, mainly because I never put him in the sitting up position, because he would just fall over, so instead I always put him on his tummy so he could learn to crawl, now he can crawl very well, pull himself up onto things and is even starting to support himself just on his knees, so its not bothering him that he cant sit up, so its not gonna bother me, he will learn when he wants to xxxx

i am not a mom yet, but my good friend is in a similar situation. her 17 month old son is still not walking. he can stand on his own and crawl faster than lightening but he has absolutely no interest in walking. her doctor told her that he isnt worried yet but that if if would ease her mind he could refer her to a physical therapist who could practice some exercises with him to try and encourage him. your baby sounds like he is still in a normal range. i babysit a 7 month old who doesnt sit unassisted yet, they get there at their own time. but if you are concerned just ask your doctor :hugs:

Ah thanks girls! I think I agree about some mums and their over active imaginations. Yeh I definitely think i've allowed others competitiveness do this to me. And yeh he can feed himself with his bottle which I guess is pretty cool so i'll bear that in mind! :D However if 9 months hits and he's still not sitting up I may be back with another thread hehe :haha:

I know what you mean about people putting a downer on things.. I told my friend really excited that Noah was crawling (he was 8/9 months.. I'm rubbish and can't remember :lol: I think 8..) and she was like "oh.. isn't that really late? :wacko: My aunties baby crawled at 6 months"
Uhhhhh :saywhat:
And Noah didn't hold his bottle til he was over a year old! Lazy boy. So he's definitely not slow, just concentrating on other skills like people were saying in your other thread :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->