Is it normal to produce less milk on one side??

Brz04

Reaction score
I feel like I produce WAY more milk in my left breast than my right! I can usually pump 2-3oz on the left and only 1oz on the right! But when DS pulls off the right breast (the one that produces less) I can see milk dripping from his mouth and it doesn't seem like he ever gets frustrated from lack of milk when feeding off the right. Is it normal to produce less in one breast? How can I "even out" to produce more on the right if possible???

Also, any tips about when/how much to pump on a daily basis to get a good freezer supply going? I EBF for now but would like to start introducing a bottle for one feed or so a day in the next week or two that way I can get out of the house to run errands sometimes and not have to worry about rushing home to feed LO!!

Thanks ladies :)

It is normal for one side.to make more than the other, there is no need to even them out. The lc I saw suggested pumping for 5 minutes several times a day in addition to feeding to build up a stash. She said you can set up the pump and add bits to it for four hours before you need to clean the parts and put the milk in the fridge.

I have more milk on my left than my right. For a while I was trying to always start her on the right every time to try even them out (left is visibly bigger that the right!) but it didn't work. She is in a more comfortable hold on the left breast (I am right handed) and it seems she prefers the left. But I always make a point of draining the right at least twice a day.

Dunno if that was helpful to you or not :s

It no actual trouble... only problem is bra shopping! :haha:

Yes, it's normal. My right breast has always produced much more than my left.

I used to pump in the morning as that was when I had the best supply, so it was quick to express.

Yep, it's normal! The breastfeeding clinic told me that it is common for one breast to be the "supplier" and the other breast to just be "supplement" really. My right breast has always produced about 1.5 more ounces than the other breast. There is no reason to "even" them out (and I honestly don't think you can!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->