Is it normal?

lauram_92

Reaction score
Oli always chokes on his bottle. Like 2-3 times per bottle? He swallows air, I can hear the gulps even though he is in the middle of drinking? It takes 30 minutes to give him a bottle, if not more. The Health Visitor said it should take 10 minutes, 20 including changing his nappy, winding etc.

He also always has his hands and legs waving about, moving etc. He won't sit still. He turns his head if he hears the slightest noise and is always moving it backwards and forwards, even if there is no noise!

It is just stressing me out taking so long to give him a bottle. I just feel so annoyed today. :nope: I think it is because I've stopped expressing and he will get his first bottle of formula tonight. I just feel like I've failed. :cry:

why do you feel like you have failed? he would take the bottle the same, whether it is EBM or formula hun.

maybe try a different kind of bottle or faster flow teat? x

What size teats do you use? Sounds like they could be too wide x

he was on size 2 teats, the health visitor was here last wednesday and said he was sucking too hard and needed size 3. he was moving his arms a lot with the size 2 and making the same squeaking noises. i think he swallowed air too. :shrug:

i just feel like a crap parent. since friday he has spent most of the day gurning. not crying but gurning. if i put him down when he is in his gurny mood he goes hysterical in about 30 seconds. i've tried teething gel, but it makes no difference. i don't even think he is teething.

he used to go to bed easy as anything. now i have to lie him next to me for a good 45 minutes with me saying 'shh', stroking his face etc. he also gurns a lot during that.

he has a red mark on his eye, like he has scratched it :( i've tried to get his nails short but i just can't physically do it. he scratches me the whole time. everyday i get the baby nail scissors out but i can't get them short. i've tried filing them too. i did have baby nail clippers but they didn't work either. and i can't find them now.

today when he was gurning i just got so stressed. he was so over tired and started screaming. i can't even pick him up properly because my boobs hurt so much from not expressing since last night..

i just thought i'd be a better parent.. :nope:

Aww :( What brand teats are you using? They all differ even with the same flow numbers! :wacko: At one stage I remember the only teat Noah could use was the Asda Little Angels wide neck variflow on setting 2! :| Avent variflow setting 2 were way too fast, even Avent variflow setting 1 were too fast, and none of the Avents were right. Its not your fault at all and it definitely doesnt make you a bad parent!! You just need to find your perfect teat :p

i use the avent ones. he has two dr browns bottles with size 2 teats.. they have the same problem but their teats are so much thinner.. i might buy a tommee tippee bottle on amazon or something..

my mum keeps saying 'he should have finished that bottle ten minutes ago' and all that sort of stuff as if it is my fault. but i can't help it. no one else ever gives him a bottle to know how it is :(

Urghhh it is not your fault at all! We used to have all the same problems, and it was so stressful. I hated giving him a bottle because it was such hard work! (Sounds weird, but it was when he was like that...) Hope you can get something sorted soon!

try tommee tippee ones. they are wider, so he might manage to take from them better? xx

yeah think i'll buy a tommee tippee one. hate myself for buying so many avent bottles. :haha: what a waste of money!

Not really any "advice" but Brayden has been doing this too.
How old is your LO?
Brayden started this around 4.5 months and still does it every once in awhile.
I posted a thread and a few other girls said theirs did it as well.
It is not your fault :hugs:

Do you pause in the middle of feeding him it? We could never do that with Jacob because he would scream, but I think you're supposed to stop every now and then andtry and wind them. He might just be getting too much air, so burping him might help.

And don't worry about taking a while to finish them, that can be normal, and it just means you can nuggle up for longer! X

fantastica - i was told not to take the bottle out of him mouth during it because he will take in more air! but if he stops and needs winded then i wind him..

lyzz - he is 4 months old (today) but he has been doing it for a little while.

anna - i thought they were best too because they look like a typical bottle. i have tonnes of small ones and big ones. and TONNES of teats. from sizes 1 - 3 :dohh:

Ava used to do this, she is on Tommee Tippee too, but once we moved her up to size 3 teats she was fine, it still happens once in a while, but it;s so rare I barely notice.

Hope you get something sorted and I'd suggest selling the Avent ones online, I've seen Tommee Tippee ones go for alot, so you'd probably get a bit for Avent ones too! xx

I hope you find Tommee Tippee bottles better.
I had problems finding the correct bottle,teat size and had to switch formula to get things right. It was a nightmare but such a relief when i got there in the end

Erin does this on odd occasions too if she's uncomfortable. I usually try sitting her up more. She does it more with some sainsburys bottles we got her. She used them literally once. Her TT ones are much better and shes using a size 2 at the moment. the 3 month plus ones. She had them closer to 2 months though.

Dont feel like a failure for not expressing anymore! I only kept it up one month so your 4 months have taken a lot to do! I felt like that when i first stopped too but now i realise how much easier things got and how much happier i am now i stopped. You're doing great :hugs:

i stopped expressing for over 24 hours (as my health visitor said to do) and OMG. i was in agony. i never realised my boobs got knocked so much. oliver kicked them and i almost cried :haha: they looked faked they were that big.
i never slept last night, i was in too much pain. and when i did finally get to sleep i woke up because i was soaking wet.. then oliver decided to wake up at 5am :( i expressed this morning. i am still a bit sore but not too bad. think i am going to express whenever i feel full!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->