Is it safe to begin exercising now?

LilPeanuts

Reaction score
I didn't exercise regularly in the past but now that I'm pregnant after only having my daughter 7 months ago, I'm concerned about staying at a healthy weight this time around. I don't have any morning sickness yet and my appetite is growing already! I definitely want to make sure I don't gain too much too quickly. I have an elliptical and stationary bicycle at home that I want to start using but I'm so paranoid! I don't see my dr until 8 weeks and I want to be sure it's safe. Has anyone started working out in their first trimester and been told by their dr it's perfectly safe? I don't want to do anything to hurt my little one!

Since you didn't workout before hand I would stick with walking on the treadmill or doing the elliptical. Start off slowly and then increase.
My husband is a trainer and kinesiologist so I've had him monitor all my pregnancies thus far (on baby #4). Just stay hydrated, and slowly increase your workouts. Listen to your body. Once you get to around 5 months you will want to avoid laying flat on your back for exercises.
And if in doubt consult your doctor or get a referral to a kinesiologist who has the proper education to guide you;)

U can't exercise or start a new regime while pregnant unless u were doing it prior. Sorry... Stick to walks

U can't exercise or start a new regime while pregnant unless u were doing it prior. Sorry... Stick to walks

Oh no :( That isn't the best news. Do you know what the reasoning behind that is?

Well apparently it's not good to start anything new that your body isn't used to. Pregnancy releases relaxin a hormone that loosens all muscles and joints and makes you more prone to injury. Also increased blood blow, faster heart beat etc these are all things that can affect you exercising. You can ask your Dr and he/she will tell you it's not advised to start any new regime now. U can walk, keep active though :)

It also puts your body under un necessary stress that it's not used to ...

I started exercising when pregnant with Sophie and was super morbidly obese and lazy beforehand. As long as you aren't running up hills or doing anything really strenuous I am sure it would be fine. Walking is a fantastic exercise and very easy on the body.

I monitor my heartrate with a fitbit and lift weights, jog and do lots of walking. I was doing this previously but not for about 8 weeks as I got lazy, I refuse to gain weight this pregnancy.

The relaxin and hormonal stuff was more of an issue in third tri for me anyway, I have always felt fine to exercise in 1st and 2nd tri even if I hadn't been exercising beforehand.

Well the general rule of not starting a new routine when pregnant is referring to something like running, horse back riding. However swimming, walking elliptical, weights is totally fine! Exercise is healthy for you and baby. Just don't go extreme! Start out twice a week for maybe 30 min at a time, and then slowly increase.

Thanks ladies! I'll give my dr a ring next week just to be sure but I'll probably just start slow with the elliptical. It has a heart rate monitor on it so I can be sure I'm not overdoing it!

I started an exercise and weight loss program when I was pregnant but didn't know as I was only about 7dpo. I am now only 5+1 but have continued and have lost about 2kgs.
I am taking my prenatal vitamins, eating well and slowly increasing the exercise. I started only doing 5mins on my exercise bike but now have increased to about 30mins a day (usually doing it for 5-10mins a few times a day)
I have paid quiet a lot of money for this program which does also have a pregnancy program and the way I see it is the benefits to my health by increasing my strength and swapping food choices outways the risk. I am now not trying to loose weight more just not to gain too much. Also the things I am doing is recommended in pregnancy anyway. For example instead of sitting down eating potato chips for a snack I will have some fruit or nuts. Instead of potatoes with my dinner I have swapped them for some beans or broccoli.
My pregnancy wasn't planned. My 4th bub is 10months old and I have gained a lot of weight with each pregnancy. With 2 pregnancies I actually gained over 30kgs so huge amounts of weight. This time I am hoping to gain no more then 10-12kgs as I started this pregnancy overweight unlike my others.
Wishing you a healthy pregnancy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"