is it safe to eat this type of meat?

Catiren

Young mom of 2 and Prego!
Reaction score
i used to have this craving for Hardee's hot ham and swiss sandwich but one day afterschool my dad took me across the street to the restaurant to get one/two and the whole place was shut down out of the blue! i had to find an alternative so i found myself in love with hillshire farm's oven roasted turkey(ultra thing slices) with a thin slice of baby swiss cheese on top. its my go-to thing. but recently i read online that deli meats are bad because they could contain listeria. are any of you eating any deli meats like the sliced kind for sandwiches? my mom called the pharmacist about meds i can take for my morning sickness and mentioned the deli thing to her and she said its a big nono and to not eat it below 32 degrees Fahrenheit and to also cook it because anything below 32 degrees contains a germ thats very harmful to pregnancy and baby. but my hillshire farm packaging says fully cooked. wouldnt them fully cooking it kill that germ?

my boyfriend bought me so much food to enjoy whenever it's my meal time and this was one of them and im in love with the turkey but since finding this out i decided not to even look at it in the fridge.

I heard to stay away from deli meats unless they are steaming hot. I just stay away. I never ate them a lot anyway.

Yes, you are supposed to heat them to steaming, to kill all bacteria. That being said, my first pregnancy I didn't eat a single deli cut, but my second I had the occasional sandwich. I wouldn't eat them all the time maybe, but I didn't feel like there was a big risk here and there. Some drs say it's fine, and others advise against it. I guess do what you're comfortable with.

Hey Catiren, I'm loving a similar combo to that (spicy roasted chicken and provolone), and my hubby made it for me grilled cheese style where he grilled it on both sides on a pan before making the sandwich and then browning the toast on both sides with the meat and cheese in it to ensure it's thoroughly cooked, try it that way and you won't have to worry, it's really yummy too!

oh no i havent been cooking them. just taking them out of the package but ill stop eating it right away since i dont feel as safe

Omg I LOVE oven roasted turkey thin slices! That's the only thing I have been craving since getting pregnant, but I stay away from them! It's terribly tempting though!

I eat deli meat a couple times a week. And I don't heat it as I find that disgusting. Sane for my first pregnancy.

You could try frying the slices in the pan! I used to do that and its tasty, it would kill off any bacteria. :) Melt the cheese over it while in the pan.. yum haha

I eat deli meats a couple times a week too. I just finished one. I only eat turkey as the other meats creep me out. I also don't heat it up. Sometimes, if my purpose is to melt the cheese.

This is my 3rd pregnancy and I've never not eaten deli meats...

Ugh.... I love my turkey sandwiches!

I am craving a turkey Tom now from jimmy johns. They are my fav sandwich place.

You're in Iowa, not too far. We should meet secretly and devour this delight! Haha

I wouldn't worry to much about heating it. I always eat it and this is my second pregnancy and I haven't had any problems. Just do what you feel is comfortable.

I have no idea what bologna is, but that fatty knee thing sounds like a load of bollocks! Who told you that?

We are not told to avoid deli meats in the uk at all. If its from a big company and is securely packaged and you have kept it in the fridge i cannot see a problem. Are they talking about deli where you buy it from a counter and its get sliced for you then? Unless the staff were not wearing gloves and wiping their hands on themselves or flicker and playing with there hair i would not even worry.

lol at fatty knees never heard that one either sounds barmy.

We are not told to avoid deli meats in the uk at all. If its from a big company and is securely packaged and you have kept it in the fridge i cannot see a problem. Are they talking about deli where you buy it from a counter and its get sliced for you then? Unless the staff were not wearing gloves and wiping their hands on themselves or flicker and playing with there hair i would not even worry.

lol at fatty knees never heard that one either sounds barmy.
the packages ive bought from hillshirefarm say fully cooked but the pharmacist claims do not eat meat below 32 degrees as it contains a germ very harmful to pregnant women and their baby so she advises to heat the meat up but im thinking wouldnt the germ have died in the cooking process prior to packaging? but it didnt matter. my mom found out this information. also, online it had information about the bologna so i asked my mom is that true cuz i ate one very early in pregnancy with cheese (ive been craving meats and cheese together since implantation practically) and my mom said thats what gives babies fatty knees because back in the day when she was growing up the women ate that bologna lunchmeat and they all had babies including her sister being born with huge fatty knees. ofcourse the knees probably werent gigantic at birth but as they got older these women all had large knee problems. im planning to stay away from these lunchmeats alltogether but i do absolutely love the one ive gotten hooked on. oh well ill do anything to feel safe with my baby.

I am craving a turkey Tom now from jimmy johns. They are my fav sandwich place.
yes! i was craving Hardee's hot ham and swiss sandwiches but one day after school my dad picked me up and took me across the street where the restaurant was and it was freaking shut down! like out of the blue! i was like NOOOO WHYYYY and my dad went all over town and out of town talking to everyone everywhere he went about it. they knew nothing whatsoever and were just as shocked if not more than we were. sooo i tried getting meat and cheese that i could quickly make at home and now im finding out the pharmacist says "dont eat deli meat if its below 32 degrees as it contains a germ harmful to baby and pregnancy" and i thought ummm my packaging says fully cooked and to keep refrigerated... wouldnt the germ have died prior to packaging when it was fully cooked? but oh well now i have to find an alternative that will make me feel safe because i dont like warm foods as much as i enjoy cold (thats if i can have them cold after cooking, such as pizza or something).

You could try frying the slices in the pan! I used to do that and its tasty, it would kill off any bacteria. :) Melt the cheese over it while in the pan.. yum haha

my mom does that for fried eggs. melts swiss on them and cooks ham in the same pan then makes an immediate sandwich out of it. i dont like the taste of the egg and ham n cheese togethr or even the egg and cheese and i really dont like warm meat but thats only when it comes to cooked foods. if its cooked and then i refrigerate it, then thats probably when i eat them. hot foods dont satisfy me so much. my deli packaging said fully cooked so i thought it was ok but omg now its not apparently aaagh more alternative hunting so i feel safer for baby

Oh my God, relax. The odd bit of pre packaged processed meat won't be bad for you or the baby, it'll just be disgusting at best, bleurgh. Actual meat from a deli where it is sitting out and cut for you would be worse surely. And as for the fatty knees thing, sounds like old wives tale nonsense, a random connection was made between a fatty food type and unrelated symptoms some people had later on. Chill, working yourself up over the odd sandwich with processed meat will stress you more than actually eating it. You're overthinking it.

I'm on my 3rd pregnancy and with all three I lived off of Italian subs. Italian subs have a multiple mixture of cold deli meats. Never one issue, but I'm no doctor, but I'm eating my deli meats cold unless it was a steak n' cheese sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->