Is it safe to have a shellac manicure at 5 weeks?

shirlls

Reaction score
Sorry if I sound really ignorant, but I have a voucher to use by next month and have an appointment tomorrow which I'd booked before I got pregnant. Are they safe to have in pregnancy, or in the first 12 weeks? The salon said it is ok but I just want to see if anyone knows on here?

I am thinking of cancelling as better to be safe than sorry

x

To be honest, I don't actualy know myself as it is a voucher I got. All I know is its a type of nail polish which has apparently become very popular.

The nail Polish is hardened under a uv light which I suppose could be cause for concern but as it's not pointing at your belly I wouldn't worry. I'd be more concerned by the removal process which involves soaking your nails in acetone or some chemical. I don't know whether that could soak through your nails? But I wouldn't be too concerned. However I'm a fairly relaxed pregnant woman- I even had a runny yolk last week lol

Yep absolutely fine! One of my good friends is a nail artist and I had it done all the way through my last pregnancy :)

Yep. I'm a nail tech and CND (the makers of Shellac) pride themselves on making their products 3-free. The 3 chemicals that need to be avoided are Dibutyl Phthalate (DBP), Formaldehyde and Toluene. One of them (I think toulene) is known to cause deformities in male fetuses. Make sure it is Shellac though - there are a lot of copycats out there which look similar but don't say 'CND Shellac' on the bottle. You do have to have Shellac professionally removed with acetone which won't cause any harm nor will the UV light. Another safe brand is Gelish.

If you're still worried the salon should be able to just give you a normal manicure instead if you explain that you're concerned - they'd be gaining if you have a voucher. Some nail polishes do contain those nasties though - the safe ones are OPI, CND, Lancome and a few others. The top and base coats of Seche Vite are NOT and actually have warning on the the back of them saying "WARNING! This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm."

Hope that helps! :)

I would have never even thought about it yano!

I get shellac all the time! Thankfully my tech is my sister in law and she did the CND course and uses all their products!

:)

I know that the nail varnishes are but I'm not sure about the GELeration gel polish. Sorry!

That's ok it's a Jessica nail polish I want to use for a wedding tomorrow (not gels), it hadn't occurred to me it might not be ok. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->