Is it too late?

babyhope

Mommy of 2 and expecting
Reaction score
I am 18 weeks and I have not taken any prenatal pills:nope: I know it is bad but they make me soooo sick. I did take folic acid the first 2-3 months, but since then nothing. I told the doctor that I hadn't been taking them because they made me sick, she said I should try taking them at night. I am wondering is it too late to start now or if I have put my baby at risk...I am feeling guilty now.

If you had the nuchal measurement etc, and had your results back, they should indicate your baby's risk for downs. If it's low, I wouldn't worry. They say there's little point in taking folic acid after the first trimester, but certainly the other vitamins and minerals in a multivitamin will be useful. the other vitamins provided in the multivitamin are just to ensure that the baby gets a good balance, in case you're not able to provide it because of sickness. I try to have a balanced diet, while still taking my tablets, and I plan to do so through breastfeeding too. I take Sanatogen's "Mother to Be"

Ive never taken anything after 12 weeks with any of my children its not a common thing to do here so i wouldnt worry its just the folic acid in the 1st 12 weeks thats important which you did x

yup, it's too late i'd say hun as far as folic acid is concerned - from what my MW said - no point past 12 weeks. however it's never too late to just take a multivitamin that is safe in pg - can't do any harm anyway... x

You took Folic acid when you needed so thats fine. You certainly dont need it now - as for other vitamins, its your choice... do you eat a good diet? If so I wouldnt worry too much about adding to it - if you are providing your body and baby with the essential nutrients through diet alone you dont need to top it up. I stopped folic acid at 12 weeks and since then the only time I have taken extra vitamins is when I have felt a bit run down and felt as if my system needed a bit of a vitamin boost. I am also going to take some for the next few weeks to give myself a boost for fighting any bugs I may pick up from seeing more people over Christmas (I could achieve this by eating more fruit and veg though to be honest)... xx

I only took folic til about 13/14 weeks, basically just using the pot up! I haven't taken any other vitamins and don't intend to. As long as you have a good balanced diet then you shouldn't have to, and plus it's better to get the real thing than artificial.

Because of nausea and morning sickness I've barely taken anything this whole pregnancy and so far all my scans and measurements have been fine :)

I am wondering how people survived for centuries without prenatal vitamins :)

There's (very small amounts) of evidence to suggest that taking folic acid later in the pregnancy (after 28 weeks rings a bell) can lead to a slight increase in the risk of baby having asthma. Was in the news a little while ago. I stopped taking my vits about 13 weeks as they were making me feel worse!

i know exactly how you feel i have just started taking mine (day 4) but when i was trying to take them before i couldnt keep anything down i was sick sick sick and my doctor told me to try again now and so far so good, no sickness little more energy and he said that he doesnt think that there is anyhting wrong with babes but i dont go for my anomoly scan until jan 6th and i feel so horrible

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->