Is my cat pregnant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kittycat18

Reaction score
I have a white kitten who I adopted in December. The pet store who had the kitten rescue centre weren't sure of her age but assumed she was around 8 weeks old. It has been a very busy year and I kept putting off taking her to get neutered as she was mainly a house cat anyway. She only started going outside in late April or May time as she was getting to that age were she was crying at the window all the time, ignoring her litter box and pooping on the floor and acting as if she was bored. Ever since she has been allowed outside to play, you can tell that she is a lot happier.

A few days ago my mum was at my house and asked OH if our cat was pregnant :shrug: We had talked about waiting until she had a litter before getting her neutered anyway so we aren't annoyed about it obviously. She has become visibly larger around the stomach area in the past 2-3 weeks but doesn't look "pregnant" but this could be because she is in the early stages of pregnancy. I googled a few signs on how to tell if a cat was pregnant and from that I realised that her nipples have become more noticeable, they are a lot larger, they are baby pink but about 0.5mm in length and the furr around her nipples has thinned quite a bit so the nipples are very noticeable...

I have never had a pregnant cat before so I am not 100% sure and would like some advice. This may sound silly but do I have to give the cat specific food that is for pregnant/nursing cats? I just wouldn't want her to go through the pregnancy and to get ill or for her kittens to become ill. Half way through writing this thread I rang the vet to make an appointment for her to be checked which is tomorrow morning but I would still appreciate some advice :flower:

I'm not a breeder or expert but I have read up a little bit on breeding as I wanted to breed my nan's dog and keep her puppies (she's too old now though I think :()

But it said that they need more food than usual so to feed them more, and that they are supposed to have puppy food, I'm assuming that would be the same for cats? As the kitten food has more nutrients for kittens that the Mum would pass down.

I'm sure if you google breeding cats there'll be some tips and things on it all. I'm not sure whether cats need a welping box like dogs do either x

You're right about the nipples, the cat can also be needy or seem to be in season. With cats later on in pregnancy, if you palmate the stomach (gently) you will feel the kittens. She may need vitamins, it depends how healthy and well she's doing. Try to keep her in until she's seen :) its a scary but amazing thing! X

I sent a couple of photographs to my friend who has a lot of experience with animals and pregnant cats. She said that my cat is definitely pregnant and by the photos and her behaviour (I explained how she was acting, sleeping, eating etc) that she would be due to give birth in around 3 weeks. She also thinks for the size of my cat that she is carrying 3 kittens! Very exciting and only have to wait until morning to have this confirmed by the vet. We are making her comfortable now and keeping her indoors :flow: My friend also advised me to continue with adult food and when the kittens are born, to feed the mother kitten food whilst nursing.

Sounds good :) Vets will be able to give you more advice! Quite often - There are other kittens hiding ;) So good luck! x

Hahaha thank you sweetheart :hugs2: I am going to work now but will update this after the vet in the morning!!

Yes she is pregnant, due in 2-3 weeks but the vet couldn't tell how many kittens she was carrying as her stomach was extremely firm. She's indoors now at the radiator on a huge pet cushion with blankets and on adult food with some kitten food for nourishment aswell! I am so excited :haha:

Awwwh! Keep us updated, I want pics when she has them :D And good luck! Are you keeping her in for the next 2-3 weeks? x

I feel like an idiot for reading this and wanting to say "pee on a stick" :rofl:
Proper curious now :rofl:

Oooooh you must post pics of the kittens!!!

:haha: When I was contemplating whether or not Snowey was pregnant and decided to post on here, I actually thought "wait, am I allowed to post this here" and then realised... it's a cat you idiot :haha: Someone is bound to have some experience with this! :haha:

Yeah, we are keeping her indoors until the kittens arrive. Probably for the best anyway as the weather is crap at the moment. So in 2-3 weeks we will have kittens! She's mainly just lazing around, sleeping, eating constantly and then strolling around the house with her big belly. It honestly has gotten bigger in the past 2 days. I thought I was imagining things but OH and my mum noticed it aswell!

Aww pregnant kittys are cute! My friends cat is currently bedding down to have her kittens at any point today, she's started howling apparently so they cant be far off now.

How exciting for you! We had all our cats done (2 boys and 2 girls) but I would have liked to have experienced a kitty birth! Youll have to pop some pictures up when shes done :) Best of luck to your kitty :D

Aww congrats to your kitty, I will say keep her indoors afterwards though until you can get her to the vets. Our cat kept sneaking out before we could get her to the vets, she had 3 lots of kittens in a very short space of time! It was a nightmare lol luckily we found good homes for all of them. We really worried about her health and what it would do to her but she just went on like nothing had happened.:shrug:

AP :rofl: should get pregnancy tests for cats!!!!!

OP I hope it goes well for your kitty keep us posted! I love kittens but my cat was done years ago (she's deaf now so prObs for the best).

Just keep her warm. She may decide to use a box or a blanket for birth so make sure you provide one but she may also find a corner or underneath a bed to have them so keep a close eye on where she is going towards the end.

Excited for you! X

Seriously would a hpt work??!!! :rofl:

:rofl: a FRER would work well! :haha:

Can't believe I google but it's a no :haha:

I will update you all with cute kitten photographs :flow: She is indoors now until the kittens are 8 weeks. We will probably keep one and find new homes for the rest and then get Snowey neutered. Yeah my mum had said to have a box ready with a fleece blanket and to put it at the bottom of the hot press (mines a huge cupboard and it's shelved with free space underneath with no pipes or wires but nice and toasty :haha: She is well looked after don't worry!

Good luck with your kittens.

It's very unlikely that any un neutered cat that is let out for any period of time will not become pregnant. If you let her out after she has had the kittens she will get pregnant again straight away and she is likely to want to get out after she has had the kittens.

Please get her neutered, there are so many unwanted cats as it is. :nope:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe