Is my preemie delayed developmentally?

Gabrielle

Mum of 2! Pg with # 3!
Reaction score
My son Jack was born at 33 weeks gestation. He will 7 months on the 19th of this month.

Jack's height and weight are both good and are in the 50th percentile.

I just wanted to see what most of your preemies could do by 6 months and if they seemed delayed at all to you?

Jack still doesnt eat cereal or fruits or veggies, he just doesnt get the concept of it. We try every other day but he just spits it out.

Also he just started rolling over last week. He cannot hold his head competley up and cannot even attempt to sit up.

He does hold toys for a short period of time and he does laugh and coo.

Everyone is always asking if he's sitting up yet or if he's started to scoot or crawl and I say no.

I dont mind if he's behind at all.....thats fine by me.:) But I know my other two preemies seem to be up to par with everything so I just wanted to see if any of you notice this as well.

Jack had a brain bleed when he was 3 months old from a head trauma and I'm not sure if he could be delayed due to prematurity or his trauma.

Also my baby is bottle fed and always has watery loose stools.....is this to be concerned about?

Any experiences or thoughts would be helpful.:) Thank you in advanced!

my friends little boy was early, about 6 weeks and he was always behind in his development until he was about three,they all seem to be different. he is now about 7 and doing well at school!!!!

THank you. My older two, 4yr old(born at 34weeks) and 2yr old 9born at 30weeks) both seem to be on the right track along with the other children. Other then being sick alot as well as my 2yr old is only 22lbs.

Molly was born at 29 weeks, and seemed to be a bit slow off the mark but did so much all of a sudden. At 6 months she was nowhere near to attempting to sit up, and hadnt even mastered rolling really. Now there is no stopping her. She is crawling all iover the house, and pulls herslef up on the furniture (or anything else thats handy, including my nose when I was laying on the floor today!:rofl:) She can now stand for a couple of seconds unaided. I'm sure Jack is doing fine, it sounds like it to me x

I guess I just hate knowing if he could be delayed due to his head trauma. He's suffering from seizures and fluid on the brain from the accident so that right there is enough to deal with.

glad Molly is doing well! So cute! She's adorable!~

If you are worried hun, I would talk to your dr. Im not trying to be negative but there is a chance he could be delayed due to the bleed, as I know they told us when they discovered Lakai's bleed (the worst you can get a Grade IV IVH) they talked about delays....but that doesn't mean doom and gloom! It could just mean a few weeks behind...not really a huge deal, they will get there. Or so I think =)

I would talk to your doctor, they might therapies out there for you to help!

hey hun, when Matthew was younger I was really worried about his left arm strenght and development as he tended not to use it and drag it behind him. It just kinda sorted itself out with lots of tummy time. For us when he hit 8 months he really came into his stride took him til just before xmas to sit unaided and in the space of 2 weeks he was sitting unaided rolled from back to front (mastered the other way early on) was alot stronger on his legs and making more noises.

Even now he has really came on, can pull himself up to standing and can cruise along some furniture, still cant go from lying flat on his back to sitting tho :dohh: but manages by comamdo rolls til he's in a good spot haha. Id say between 8-10 months was a real turning point and Matthew was born 33+4 with IUGR x

Is there going to be any support for you after his head trauma? You could always ask for a physio? This can be beneficial!

Alex had a IVH grade IV too, like Lakai. And you know, we only use 10 % of our brains, apparantley... so there you go!

Thanks for the advice and experiences.

I'm sure he will sprout developmentally at a certain age as well. :)

We see his Neurosurgeon on Feb 10th so I can talk to him more about it too. And see what he thinks about what Jack can and can't do.

THanks again!!

I have to admit I dont pay attention to all that at this age they should be doing this routine.
I know if there is something they dont want to do and i just encourage them. My friend said Oh Jaycee dont hold her own bottle and she is 1. I said well technically she is only 9 and a bit months and she is lazy I cant help that lol.

I would say unless he is very behind then I wouldnt see a huge problem.x

If he has spent time in hospital they should have picked up if he is showing any signs of developmental delay. It was our hospital that referred Findlay to see the development consultant after one of his stays when he was younger.

Archie's one next week but 9months corrected. He looks like a one year old from a size and length perspective but is a little behind developmentally. However, since starting nursery 3 weeks ago, I think he's now about 10-11 months ! Its mad how much he has come on. Hes just about walking and he only started crawling 4 weeks ago!

Awe...Yay for Archie! Impressive!:) WOw...can't believe he'll be one already! I remember the day you had him. Time flies!

My middle one Gavin, who will be 2 on the 13th is only 22lbs! Lol he's doesnt have many teeth, and he's itty bitty.:) He also doesnt talk very well but i'm totally FINE with that. haha. He was born at 30weeks.

My Freddy is a complete lazy arse!! He just started sitting up at 10mths (7mths correct) and shows no signs of crawling yet. I do compare him to full term babies at his corrected age and he seems to be 1-2 mths behind. He had his 1yr check at consultant and said i think he is behind slightly so she is getting a child development person out to check all ok. I think boys are so so so slow compared to girls!
Also if you put freddy on his front he has only JUST held himself up but that is for about 20seconds then he puts his head on the floor and moans!! See LAZY!! He has only just started on cereal he has some in a bowl then some dry ones which he likes popping in he hates veggies to pick up ie carrotts peppers cucumber. He eats them in his jared stuff as this is all he will eat!! (10mth stuff) He does like finger food biscuits and crisps like organix and heinz biscottis.

Dont worry hun we have the joy of lazy boys but if you are concerned chat to your gp or if you can your consultant as they seem to understand things better, my doctors are useless and dont even get me strted on Health Visitors they are the most useless people i have ever known!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->