• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is there any hope?

cskme_

Reaction score
I had my baby 9 days ago and from day 1 I have not had enough milk. She would stay up and feed for 4 hours a night and that's how I found out. I started pumping shortly after, with a Medela freestyle pump that I paid $400 for. I am only getting a few drops every time I pump, maybe a teaspoon of milk. I pump every 2 hours and I have been staying hydrated. My doctor prescribed me domperidone and it hasn't yet started working, I have been on it for 4 days now. I have had to supplement with formula because I cannot stay up and feed for 4 hours at a time it is taking way too much out of me. Is there any hope that the domperidone will boost my supply? I'm just worried that nothing will ever work...

Well firstly I have to say the pump just doesn't work for some people. It's so much better to put baby on the breast. The baby will stimulate more milk production. Don't rely on looking at that to see how much you are producing.

Secondly, baby wanting to nurse that often doesn't suggest you aren't making enough either. All 3 of my babies would be up for hours at night cluster feeding. And would happen every time they had a growth spurt too. Them being on so often will actually tell your body to produce more so don't let that freak you out. As they get older they won't do this as often.

Is baby not gaining her weight back well enough? Is she having enough wet and messy diapers? Those factors are much better indicators of having enough milk than how often she wants to nurse or the pump :)

As above - mine have all done this. Emma was doing it every evening till at least 6 weeks old. I know it's hard. I can never pump anything but she's over double her birthweight now.

Sophie was sucking so long on day 4 that I sent my husband out for dummies/pacifiers. She wouldn't let me sleep.

Yes, it is possible you will be able to increase your supply. I know it's hard, but try to be as relaxed as possible because (in a cruel twist of fate) stressing out too much about the supply can actually make it lower. When you pump, don't look at how much you're making. I speak from experience, and it was really hard for me not to look, but don't look at the bottles fill up! Read a book or watch tv or whatever.

The other thing I wonder about, reading your story - are there underlying latch issues? Have you had her evaluated for tongue tie, for example? That can cause a low supply, and is correctable.

If she's latching properly, you might want to think about an SNS, which is basically a way of bottle feeding at the breast.

Good luck. I know it's emotionally draining to have to pump so much, but keep it up and eventually things will get better :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->