Is there anything I can do about this order?

bumpy_j

Reaction score
I ordered a coat and a dress online on UO, and must have missed the prompt where it asks you to check if it's the right address. As I already had an account on there previously, it used my old address as the default. So, after placing the order I noticed this instantly and rang them up within ten minutes of ordering (bear in mind, this was 10 o clock at night - it's a 24hr helpline) and also sent them an email. Both times I was told there was nothing they could do about it, and I couldn't cancel the order either.

Now bear in mind, no Post Offices would be open at this time, and I doubt they will dispatch today considering it's New Years Day. Am I right to be a little miffed? I know it's technically my mistake, but I can't actually get to my old place as it's two hours away and I no longer have a key to pick up the postage card (which I told them) so even if I did travel down, I wouldn't be able to pick it up. They also said they can't guarantee that they'll reserve my items when they're eventually sent back, and as they're very low-stocked sale items, they'll definitely be sold out once I get my refund so I can't re-buy. Not to mention that the account still had my old billing address on it also, so I'm not sure what that means for my order.

ARGH I really, really want this stuff :cry: a dress I've been desperate to get has gone on sale for half price, and a nabbed a beautiful coat that went down to £30 from £130. Now I'm just going to be out of £50 for a month and paying postage costs for nothing. I'm tempted to ring up my bank, but I doubt they'll be able to do anything either. SO RUBBISH.

I would call the bank and cancel the money, citing loss of card. Most shops give the option of changing order etc, if you get in touch quickly. Terrible service, it would put me off ever shopping there again. Goodluck

I think I might, but the dress I wanted is now sold out :( so I'll have to give that up to do it. I just don't understand why it can't be changed! OH says to try and bug them again by phone, but I really doubt they're going to budge...

Did you put the order through today? If so, then I would really get on the phone quickly and say you lost your card last night. The bank will then block all transactions after that. At least you won't be out of pocket. Situation sucks, unless off course the people who live there are super nice and would either send it back or allow you to pick it up.

Did you put the order through today? If so, then I would really get on the phone quickly and say you lost your card last night. The bank will then block all transactions after that. At least you won't be out of pocket. Situation sucks, unless off course the people who live there are super nice and would either send it back or allow you to pick it up.

I did it last night at about 22:00, and rang UO literally a few minutes later. Will probably be too late to do much about it now TBH (my available balance is £50 less than my card balance, although it hasn't dispatched).

That's awful service! I'd ring them up again, ask who you're speaking to, and tell them you're going to make a formal complaint about it. They must be able to do something!

They should be able to change it or cancel it that soon after. I would call again during the day.

That's really terrible, most shops would be happy to sort that out for you!

That's awful service! I'd ring them up again, ask who you're speaking to, and tell them you're going to make a formal complaint about it. They must be able to do something!

I rang them again as I was worried about my billing address being outdated, but they told me the same thing - if they don't end up at least re-routing my package after it comes back, I'm going to complain. They should make it clear whilst your ordering that no amendments can be made and to double check your default address! It's just mentioned in a tiny section of their FAQs, which you don't tend to check before ordering. I could totally understand if it had been a day or even a few hours from ordering to contacting them, but it was ten minutes!

I've looked on their website and apparently Hermes handle their parcels, so I've emailed them to see if they can intercept this in some way. Just seems unfair that a delivery person is going to visit that house 3 times and not get paid for it.

I wouldn't tell the bank to cancel my card to be honest, you'll have no bank card nor access to money and it will take at least a week to get a new ones.

I do think there is a 'cooling off' period for online orders legally since you can't inspect the products first hand. Maybe CAB can help with this. Alternatively ring during office hours and ask to speak to the manager straight away.

Good luck!

Legally you have rights to cancel an online order under the distance selling regulations.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/action/how-do-i-cancel-an-online-order

That's really bad. I've done the same before, although I can't remember what site, and they changed it for me. I would phone back and ask to speak to a manager.

Legally you have rights to cancel an online order under the distance selling regulations.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/action/how-do-i-cancel-an-online-order

Thank you for this!

*just looked on UOs FAQs, and their 7 day cooling off period starts once you've received your item. Argh.

Terrible customer service! Sometimes you have to wonder about these companies. Don't they want to keep their customers?

Thats absolutely ridiculous! I mean you phoned them right away! It may be too late now but could you not change the settings on your account like editing your details? You may have been able to do that right away it could have come to your new address as i doubt they would despatch today. You may still have time. Its worth a try.

Just checked, it does allow you to edit your details. I would do that and then hope that they send it out.

I'd be pissed its not like it will of even left there yet x

You're legally entitled to cancel the order immediately - regardless of what the website says - however it may have already gone into despatch making it difficult for them to stop it being sent. A company can't be held responsible for having shipped it before you changed your mind and while you're still entitled to cancel you would have to refuse the delivery, or accept it and return it. In your case you won't be able to accept it so it'll go back to their warehouse. It's also reasonable that they can't turn the same parcel back around on a different order number - having worked in logistics in previous roles this would be difficult to impossible to achieve.

It seems poor customer service that they can't change the address after contacting them so quickly - I'd guess they hadn't got to despatching it yet but it's possible. If so the sender (ie UO) should be able to contact the courier to change it. Bear in mind though they have NO legal obligation to do this for you, but in the interests of helpful customer service its disappointing that they won't.

Tbh though you shouldn't need to read the small print to know you should enter your correct address - you can't seriously put the blame on someone else for that.

And I wouldn't take pp advice to cancel your bank card. There's no guarantee the transaction would be cancelled and you'd be without a bank card for a week or more, massively inconveniencing yourself.

Oh no! I'd be worried Hermes just leave it in a safe place at your old address. What shop is UO? :blush:

You're legally entitled to cancel the order immediately - regardless of what the website says - however it may have already gone into despatch making it difficult for them to stop it being sent. A company can't be held responsible for having shipped it before you changed your mind and while you're still entitled to cancel you would have to refuse the delivery, or accept it and return it. In your case you won't be able to accept it so it'll go back to their warehouse. It's also reasonable that they can't turn the same parcel back around on a different order number - having worked in logistics in previous roles this would be difficult to impossible to achieve.

It seems poor customer service that they can't change the address after contacting them so quickly - I'd guess they hadn't got to despatching it yet but it's possible. If so the sender (ie UO) should be able to contact the courier to change it. Bear in mind though they have NO legal obligation to do this for you, but in the interests of helpful customer service its disappointing that they won't.

Tbh though you shouldn't need to read the small print to know you should enter your correct address - you can't seriously put the blame on someone else for that.

And I wouldn't take pp advice to cancel your bank card. There's no guarantee the transaction would be cancelled and you'd be without a bank card for a week or more, massively inconveniencing yourself.

That's the thing though - it's been over 24 hours since I first contacted them, and it still hasn't been dispatched, yet I wasn't allowed to cancel when I rang them originally. I'd probably be less irked if it was a case of them having to dispatch it first thing in the morning, but it's still sitting in their warehouse over a day later so I fail to see why it can't be canceled. I just don't see how they would've started preparing it for shipment at 22:00 on New Years Eve; it's not like it's a huge superstore like Amazon. I do think if you have a 'no amendments' policy, you should make it clear whilst the customer is going through checkout. It seems like an uncommon policy.

UO is Urban Outfitters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->