Is there such a thing as Bfeeding TOO much?

grandbleu

MAL with Little Blue
Reaction score
I went to a leche league meeting this week which was really good but I mentioned my boy seemed to be fussy a lot. They said to offer the boob more often so I have been and now I feel like I've created a boobie monster.

At night I used to have a 4 hour window at least once to sleep. Now he feeds every 1.5/2 to 1 hour sometimes less during the day even. Between feeding burping and settling it seems like we just go to the next feed.

I know that he may be going through a growth spurt but just wanted to know if this behavior was normal. Is it possible that I am training him to overfeed by offering the boob too much? I didn't think babies did this but his feeding behavior is just so much more frequent now.

It's totally normal. I think the fact that you got 4 hours of sleep was pure luck:) I still haven't had a 4 hour block yet! Our son started feeding hourly about 5 weeks plus a few days? I think you're right on the money about the growth spurt...it's a brutal one too! I say offer the breast as much as possible all it'll do is good for both of you:) it stimulates milk production, keeps the baby calm, keeps him close to you. Positives all around. I love breastfeeding days, I stay in my pj's keep my 18 month old in her pj's too lol but on some movies get a brew and feed all day it's lovely:) good luck! x

So normal! Even nursing every hour is perfectly normal. Your baby being so young its actually unusual to go more than 2 hours! Hang in there, it should get easier pretty soon for you

And no you can't bf too much. Really, he could nurse 24 times in 24 hours and thats not too much!

Entirely normal at first! Don't worry, as he gets bigger, the feeds will start to space out a bit.

I asked same question to my hv, she said you can't really overfeed abreastfeed baby, they'll burn it off when start being mobile so weight gaincan Plateau off xx

Thanks everyone for letting me know that his changes in feeding are completely normal..I'm glad I asked the question because today has been a marathon of feeding...I think I"m in the beginning of the 6 week growth spurt (he turns 6 weeks tomorrow night) - Does anyone know how long it lasts?...my boobs need a break :wacko:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->