Is this a good amount of exercise? :) Advice for planning schedule!

Butterfly89

Mama of 1
Reaction score
So I am trying to plan how I will get in shape once I am able to exercise normally again (physically recovered and mentally adjusted to life with a baby)! I am normally around 112-115 lbs and right now I am... almost 140 at 23 weeks pregnant. I'm gonna have some work to do, hehehe. I am trying not to overestimate how much time I will have because I know it won't be like before when I could just hop over to the gym for a couple hours after work any time I felt like it (not that I did that often anyway LOL). I really love walking and used to walk/jog home from work which took an hour but I felt GREAT.

I can't afford the gym now since I'll be off work for a while too so I'm trying to find a way to exercise without weights. I never liked weights much anyway as I have veryvery mild arthritis but I found my joints strained so easily (especially knees and back) so more often than not I ended up having to rest too long in between exercise and thus not making much progress!

So here is my plan for spring and summer...

I am going to aim for a 30-minute fast walk or jog every evening while OH is with our LO. And any day I have time, another 30 to 45 minute stroller walk with LO during the day (maybe a morning routine depending on how LO feels about it all). Then 3 times a week I am going to add in a 30-40 minute video that combines aerobics with 5lb hand weights. Then 2 times a week, mother and baby yoga videos (I think they are usually about 20-30 minutes from what I've found).

Before I did the 3 days a week semi-intense, 2 days yoga, weekend break. It always worked for me! I just make sure I don't go crazy for snacks or dinners out on the weekend, lol. ^^

I know they say you need one hour a day of exercise to lose weight, but I figure along with house work, it should be enough! What do you think? =) Another reason I need to get my weight down and keep it there is because of the aforementioned weak joints... they've been awful this pregnancy! As soon as I get over 120, I start getting achy.. and I'm way over that at the moment, lol. :( I know that doesn't sound like a high weight, but I think I am smaller framed, like most women in my family.

Ohman... long post, sorry, lol. If you stuck around to read it, thanks. :hugs:

I've never heard the over an hour a day thing :shrug: I think it would more come down to calories in vs. calories expended. I lost a significant amount of weight before having DS and was exercising 4Xweek (2X30 minute & 2X45 minute workouts)

(I lost 70 of the pounds with diet alone before I even started exercising).

Now I workout 3-5 times a week depending on the week and how LO is. I'm doing a DVD right now called Moms into Fitness but will likely go back to My Fitness Coach and EA Active once I've completed this (what I was exercising with pre-pregnancy).

Luckily Rhys is fairly easy going and is generally happy enough to sit and watch me do a 30 minute workout. And my husband works from home so if he ever gets super cranky he can usually swing in and watch the baby for me while I finish my workout (I would do it later in the day but after my daughter gets home from school things are hectic :haha:)

Walking with LO is a great idea :)

I do 35 minutes of pilates a day and that seems to be working for me (even though I've only been doing it for 8 days!!). I also try to walk at least 30 minutes at least 5 times a week and I've been doing that since my LO was born.
I used to do 50 minutes of pilates 3 or 4 times a week pre-pregnancy and planned to do the same during but was too unwell.
I was 109lb pre-pregnancy and gained 40lb. I have about 10lb to go plus need to tone up.
Are you planning to breast feed? That helps too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->