Is this a stupid idea?

DCS

Reaction score
Near my mum there is about 12 flats, occupied by single old people. Mostly women, my mum speaks to a fair few of them and says they are lovely ladies who seem a little lonely. They were all so kind to her when she moved into her new place. There is also a care home just round the back, and from previously working in one, i know many dont get visitors.

I suggested to LO today, maybe we could do them a small easter basket. With a chocolate or something idk. LO said it would be very kind of us, but i dont know if it would be a bit odd.

So what do you think? And if you think its a good idea, what would you put in the basket?!
( LO suggested a bird nest that mister maker makes with a bird anda marvel kinder egg)

I think it's lovely BUT a lot of elderly people can't or don't eat chocolate so perhaps getting your LO to make an easter card and some handmade oat and raisin cookies or something would go down well?

I think this is a lovely idea and just the sort of thing I do I'd just pop in a small chocolate and maybe a tin of soups or tin of something they could pop in the cupboard.

Just as long as your lo likes old people as my niece was scared of old people x
Have fun

Thanks. I didnt want to rock up with an excited kid just to offend someone. Didnt ohhhh cookies are a lovely idea. Wrapped in cellophane maybe.

My kid just loves people. Anytime we go anywhere he says hi to everyone, and wishes them a " happy day". He loves doing " kind things" and i want to encourage that.

Sounds amazing! Your LO is going to grow up very kind and loving.

What a lovely thread to read, makes me feel all warm inside. In fact, I will probably do the same for the local care home X

Thank you. I used to work in a care home and its so sad to see how some of the residents dont get any visitors, not even at birthdays or christmas.
I love that he likes doing things like this, i feel quite proud.
Anyone got any more ideas about what we could put in them? U brought a bunch of easter craft kits from the £shop and will check pintrest to.

The hamlet I grew up in was based around a care home (it was an ex TB hospital to give you an idea of how secluded it was) and I worked there for a while.

And I can tell you, without a doubt, what they would appreciate most in the world are child made Easter cards. Anything else would be a bonus.

A few things, depending on budgets etc, maybe some home made jam, shortbread is always a favorite too, little puzzle books (we can get them for 20p in ASDA).

Your LO is a credit to you.

I think it's lovely BUT a lot of elderly people can't or don't eat chocolate so perhaps getting your LO to make an easter card and some handmade oat and raisin cookies or something would go down well?

Why do you think that about the chocolate? Ive worked in a 65+ ward for 7 years and never noticed that?

Why do you think that about the chocolate? Ive worked in a 65+ ward for 7 years and never noticed that?

I assume it's because a lot of elderly people suffer with diabetes? A fair few probably won't have their own teeth any more, and a block of chocolate can be quite hard to bite down on. That said, all the elderly in my life still appreciate chocolate =)

theres loads you can put in.
my daughters nursery have just asked for donations of things to put in their baskets for the local home..

tins of fruit
tins of soup
fresh fruit, apples, pears, oranges, grapes.
tea bags (fruit flavoured teas)
buscuits (make sure the alergy labels & ingredients lists are attached)
chocolates (roses, quality street etc)
flowers
puzzles
puzzle books
magazines
books
balls of wool (for knitting, crochet etc)
playing cards

hope that helps & well done! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"