Is this common?

auntsas

Reaction score
This is my first pregnancy, so I don't have a lot of experience to compare to. I am 5weeks today! Called obgyn yesterday evening to establish an appointment. First thing they want me to do is have an ultrasound done on 8w 2 days, no appointment first. I have not had an beta hcg done which just seems odd to me. Wouldn't they want to do a couple hcg to make sure they are climbing before ultrasound? I only even know I am pregnant because I did an ovulation kit and home urine pregnancy....just doesn't seem right. Thought you ladies would be more experienced than myself....thanks!

The practice I go to doesn't do blood work unless they feel there is an issue. My OB has done an ultrasound early on with all of my pregnancies and no bloodwork. Also, my sister did betas with her first that doubled and looked great, but baby was not healthy. So there are pros and cons of both. .. But where I live, waiting and doing an ultrasound is more common.

My doc doesn't do blood work either early on. I specifically asked about it, and the scheduler said that unless I am high risk or have had previous complications that they typically did not require any early blood tests.

It must vary based on the clinic and doctor. If you really want the blood test, you could try calling a different clinic to see if there are any that will do the blood test?

Mine only did blood work because I had a history of MC. Usually they only do a urine test at the first appointment. If they're doing an US they really don't need that.

I don't necessarily want it, rather I just thought that was the standard practice. Thanks for clarifying!

At 8 weeks, I had a ultrasound at my first appointment. Just to see how far along I am and to determine the due date. To them, a positive home test is good enough for them so they don't need any other confirmation except ultrasounds. They don't bother bloodwork until later in pregnancy.

At 5 weeks I had an appointment(they let me in early because my loss in September). They done an ultrasound and blood work not just one tube of blood either they did 4 so I am hoping it is over for awhile!

I have my hCG checked multiple times during the first weeks but I have a history of recurrent miscarriage and need to get on meds as soon as pg is confirmed. I also get an ultrasound at 7-8 weeks to date my pg and check for viability and see the doctor around the same time. Most doctors in my area won't see you though (if you don't have complications) unless you are 10-12 weeks and only do a urine test in the office. They'll do labs to check for other things like vaccine immunity but an hCG isn't usually ordered unless there's a history of issues.

I called a few drs in my area and the majority don't want to see me until 8 weeks and there were no scans until 18. I found a practice that has different procedure - they drew blood once and will schedule a scan if your levels are higher than 2000. Then once you have the ultrasound, you see the doctor at around 8 weeks. I went with this doctor because I thought I'd go crazy not having any scans until 18 weeks along. I go in on Thursday at 6w4d for my first ultrasound.

I went to the hospital Thursday. They did a pelvic exam, blood work (5 tubes), and two ultrasounds, baby was way to small to see, just the sac. Said to follow up with the woman's clinic in a few days and they would more than likely follow.up on blood work.

I called a few drs in my area and the majority don't want to see me until 8 weeks and there were no scans until 18. I found different procedure - they drew blood once and will schedule a scan if your levels are higher than 2000. Then once you have the ultrasound, you see the doctor at around 8 weeks. I went with this doctor because I thought I'd go crazy not having any scans until 18 weeks along. I go in on Thursday at 6w4d for my first ultrasound.
My ob/gyn told me that some offices don't even have any technology to do ultrasounds. She used a very low tech ultrasound to date my pregnancy but for anatomy scan -which is between 18-22? Weeks pregnancy, I had to go to a clinic that specialize radiology/xray.

Thanks. This is why I love this site! I was concerned but you ladies eased my mind! Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->