Is this grossly inappropriate or am I old?

I am 24 going on 94 too, ha. I am pretty open minded in many ways but this is one I am still back in the olden days with because I think there were good reasons.

I really disagree with this new "embrace your sexuality!" "explore your body!" "youre a pervert if you think my kid flashing other kids at the park is sexual!" talk I keep hearing.

No, I'm actually just concerned about a. my kid picking up that behaviour and b. where your kid learned that and why they think it's acceptable. I am NOT a prude and I will be having open (age appropriate) discussions with my son along the way. I want him to be able to tell me anything without worrying I'll be shocked, disgusted, or judge him.

But does that mean I have to condone him imitating "sexual" behaviour like provocative dances or singing inappropriate lyrics about hoes and money or whatever lol? No! Would telling your daughter that is not a polite dance and that bodies are private repress her as a woman and/or mean you're a pervert for thinking that it's inappropriate? NO!! Follow your gut. If it makes you uncomfortable, you're her mommy and have every right to tell her so without worrying what people say.

I understand people are trying to break gender roles, conventional thinking, and.. whatever? But I think there are certain reasons for society being the way it is in this way and the biggest one to me is safety. Dressing in a provocative manner (and we ALL know what that means) does not mean you are asking for bad attention, no of course not, but it is not a safe choice. Some people are ill and *cannot* seem to control their actions. Doesn't mean never wearing short shorts on a hot day, but I don't think it means a 14 year old girl needs to wear a bra fully visible under a see-through top. That is going to trigger the minds of actual perverts and also going to put out an image that she acts a certain way, even if she does not.

I don't agree with ignoring it. I think it's a perfect opportunity for a positive reminder that nipples are a private part. For safety, and yes, for being socially "proper". I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

I am 24 going on 94 too, ha. I am pretty open minded in many ways but this is one I am still back in the olden days with because I think there were good reasons.

I really disagree with this new "embrace your sexuality!" "explore your body!" "youre a pervert if you think my kid flashing other kids at the park is sexual!" talk I keep hearing.

No, I'm actually just concerned about a. my kid picking up that behaviour and b. where your kid learned that and why they think it's acceptable. I am NOT a prude and I will be having open (age appropriate) discussions with my son along the way. I want him to be able to tell me anything without worrying I'll be shocked, disgusted, or judge him.

But does that mean I have to condone him imitating "sexual" behaviour like provocative dances or singing inappropriate lyrics about hoes and money or whatever lol? No! Would telling your daughter that is not a polite dance and that bodies are private repress her as a woman and/or mean you're a pervert for thinking that it's inappropriate? NO!! Follow your gut. If it makes you uncomfortable, you're her mommy and have every right to tell her so without worrying what people say.

I understand people are trying to break gender roles, conventional thinking, and.. whatever? But I think there are certain reasons for society being the way it is in this way and the biggest one to me is safety. Dressing in a provocative manner (and we ALL know what that means) does not mean you are asking for bad attention, no of course not, but it is not a safe choice. Some people are ill and *cannot* seem to control their actions. Doesn't mean never wearing short shorts on a hot day, but I don't think it means a 14 year old girl needs to wear a bra fully visible under a see-through top. That is going to trigger the minds of actual perverts and also going to put out an image that she acts a certain way, even if she does not.

I don't agree with ignoring it. I think it's a perfect opportunity for a positive reminder that nipples are a private part. For safety, and yes, for being socially "proper". I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Ditto, couldnt have put it better myself :thumbup:

Honestly I'd just see it as a child copying something they've seen and it wouldn't bother me at all. It's not sexy because it's a child. Anybody who actually finds it sexy is sick and our children don't have to avoid doing certain things in order to avoid being perceived like that, we just need to keep them away from bad people. It's the same as a child wearing very short shorts - not sexy, even if the ladies wearing short shorts on TV are doing it to be sexy.

I don't particularly like seeing kids doing 'sexy' dancing but that's my take on it. If my child did that and had fun, I'd just leave them to it.

I honestly don't think what people wear should illicit any unwanted sexual glares or contacts but sadly it sometimes does and I do agree that those people are sick and twisted but because of those sick and twisted people is why I don't want my daughter dressed barely clothed. However, there is some clothing out there that looks like little hooker outfits and too me it looks trashy. .. like really trashy. For example what Myle Cyrus and her get up or worse. Especially on really young girls. What my 15 year old niece chooses to wear sometimes. .. It's gross. You can practically see her Jay. I realise it's the style but it's not okay with me. Same with boys with their areas hanging out the back of their jeans. No one wants too see that.

And I don't want to put my three year old in jazz dance because the look like the are twerking and it grosses me out. She does ballet and tap instead. So. .. Yes I guess dancing can cross the line but that is a personal preference. I also don't let my girls wear bikinis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->