is this normal?

Lashes85

Mommy to FOUR boys <3
Reaction score
Hi girls,

I had my little girl 7 weeks early last week. She's currently in neonatal. I wasn't going to breastfeed, I didn't with my boys. But as she's prem and I know it's best for them I've been expressing for her and trying to actually breastfeed her twice a day. To begin with I was getting a fair bit every 3 hours. But now I'm getting around 25ml out of each boob every 3 hours. Does this sound like my milk might be drying up? They want to up her feeds from today and I really don't think I've got enough to give them. She's tube fed every hour. Anything I can do? Really feel like I'm letting her down big time, just want her home xx

It is time consuming, but pump more often, and for longer periods.

For example, yesterday my son fed yesterday almost every hour for 8 hours, and stayed on each breast for 20 minutes. Exhausting, but this morning I felt more engorged that normal.

Pumping is hard work! Does your hospital have donor milk? It may be able to take some of the pressure off you.

Hey Hun'. Another check-up post. I exclusively pumped for Owen for 6 months. I had to pump like very 2-3 hours all day and night at first. My suggestion is to keep pumping as often as you can. Atleast every 2-3 hours. And I suggest eating the right foods for producing breastmilk, like oats. We have something called Mothers Milk Tea here and it really helps!!

as other posters say, pump. Your body produces the hormone prolactin when you breastfeed and levels are highest between 12 and 4 in the morning so makes sure you pump in this period. Put baby to breast as often as you can, easier said than done for you I know but whenever you can is better than not at all.
you could try increasing milk production by taking fenugreek, capsules or powder.
Even if baby needs to be combifed in hosp it's still possible to catch up later on if you keep the supply going in the meantime. (it's possible to bfeed even if you didn't at the beginning at all but it takes a bit more effort)

fenugreek and blessed thistle at least 3 of each 3 times per day. You should smell like maple syrup take more fenugreek if you don't. Drink plenty of water. You can drink mothers milk tea and Gatorade. As pp said be sure to pump between 1am and 4 am as you likely get more them. And first thing in the morning when you wake up. Try keeping a picture of your LO nearby when you pump or a blanket that smells like her.
And remember any that she gets is better for her then none. So even if you can't keep up its still worth it to pump and once you have your LO full time your supply will increase when you BF her.
You are doing a great job to give her as much as you can. And if you have a friend or relative that is breastfeeding and they can give you some milk you might want to consider that as well if you don't want to use formula

Pump, pump, pump.

My LO was a 33 week preemie too. I pumped every 3 hours 'round the clock, waking up every 3 hours at night to pump. After you try feeding LO, pump after. Massage your breasts before you pump, during pumping, anything to empty all that milk out. Empty breasts = tell your body to make more.

Like everyone else said, cluster pump! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->