Is this normal?

WanaBaba

Reaction score
Hi my LO is 16 days old and feeds quite a lot but through the night she will sometimes go 3 hours, so usually when she wakes me my boobs are really hard and a bit sore and it makes it really hard for her to latch on. So I've been trying to wake up before her and pump a little to make them softer. But this means I get less sleep! Sometimes it will happen after only 2 hours. Is it normal and is there anything I can do about it? Is pumping the right thing to do? I only do around 5-10 mins on each breast before I feed her.

Pumping will increase your supply so I'd avoid it if possible. Maybe hand express a small amount. Give it a few days and your body will adjust.

Yes, pumping is likely to worsen the problem, your supply will adjust in time. If she can't latch do a little hand expression to remove the first let down.
I've also found that using my hand to squeeze my breast a little flatter near her top and bottom lip can help give something to grab onto if I'm quite full! X

I can't seem to do hand expressing :( may be doing it wrong!

Yes agreed about the pumping making it worse! I also have trouble hand expressing. What I did when I was engorged was use the rugby hold and also use my hand to squash my boob flatter as mummafrog said.

When I'm really engorged for whatever reason, I have to use a nipple shield (at least for a few minutes) and he latches perfect. Then we can continue without it if I want to (or just let him eat the whole time with the nipple shield). Hasn't hurt his latching without it, it just helps him not get so frustrated from overly hard boobies (and the massive flood/let down I get).

Reverse pressure softening!https://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/rev_pressure_soft_cotterman/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->