Is this sleeping pattern good for a 5 week old baby??

Eltjuh

Mum to Lucas and Logan
Reaction score
My son sleeps from around 11/12 until about 3/4am has a feed - takes about an hour to get back to sleep - and then wakes up again at 8.30 ish

Is this good for a 5 week old??
Anyone else have this??

And does anyone have any tips to get him back to sleep quicker after that night feed?? He is usually asleep when he finishes his feed but when I put him back in his cot he'll start squirming and grunting, but does eventually go back to sleep without me picking him up again...Could that be part of his colic???

That's very good for 5 weeks! It will just take time for him to go back to bed after that wakefulness - part of not knowing night/day. Just be quiet, no lights, no talking, no stimuli.

Colic is 3 hours of crying daily for 3 or more weeks. If he's colicky, that isn't actually part of it. It's just typical day/night confusion.

That's very good for 5 weeks! It will just take time for him to go back to bed after that wakefulness - part of not knowing night/day. Just be quiet, no lights, no talking, no stimuli.

Colic is 3 hours of crying daily for 3 or more weeks. If he's colicky, that isn't actually part of it. It's just typical day/night confusion.

I only have 1 light on which is pink and doesn't give that much light and I don't talk to him either when he has his night feed... The only thing I can think of might be the light in the nursery (that I have to have on for his change) that is quite bright which might be why he's more awake.... I should really get a shade for it or a smaller light or something.

What's all the squirming and grunting/noises all about then??

Oh yeah I thought of something else.... when I wake up around 3/4am he's always squirming away rubbing his hands in his face and stuff like that but still has his eyes closed and sometimes after a couple of minutes he'll settle down and then after a while he'll start squirming again, but he's not showing the 'typical hunger signs' (like hands in his mouth, moving his head from side to side with his mouth open or even crying) - So I kinda wake him up to feed, though he seems half awake anyway.... Should I try and let him sleep or am I doing the right thing by 'waking' him???

Mine is the same, I try to remember to take his blankets into bed with us when I'm feeding him it keeps them warm so he isn't going back into a cold bed!

i would wake him he is still young, brooke slept like that at that age and she started sleeping through the night from 10 weeks,

u have a good sleeper there

thats a really good pattern u've got :) ours was very similar and we used to turn the hairdryer on and after 5 mins she would be fast asleep!!! she has now been sleeping throught the nite for bout 2 weeks now!! 10pm till 9am some nites!!!11 whole hours of sleep!!!! :)
good luck xxx

Thats excellent!! Im jealous! lol..My LO grunts all the timeeeeeeeeeee!!..When hes about to wake up for a bottle and when I put him back down after for 20 mins till he nods off..My GP said nothing to worry about hes just a vocal baby! lol

Mine still grunts & grizzles in his sleep, 100% normal, just annoying lol

Yeah it really annoys me sometimes but i'm getting
better at falling asleep regardless of him grunting :p at the moment He's in th cot next to me coo-ing at his mobile after his very long and loud screaming cause of wind/colic. Poor lil man

That's excellent at 5 weeks old - and it's quite normal for it to take some time for them to settle after feeds. Hope he keeps it up for you!

Sounds great! You could try swaddling him to stop the arms flailing and face rubbing. I started swaddling my son at around 6 weeks old and he did a lot less of the grunting/moaning stuff as his arms weren't annoying him.

They really don't have much, if any control, of their limbs at that age so it's like someone else is touching their face and annoying them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->