Is ultrasound a m/c risk?

inthemoment

Reaction score
Hi! My doula called me today and started giving me all sorts of frightening statistics about the risks of ultrasounds on the baby. I'm going in for my first on Tuesday (it'll be one day short of 8wks at that point) and she's telling me it's not a good idea. I've never worked with a doula/midwife before, have always gone the OB route with tons of u/s and beta draws and general interference, and it's never worked in 5 previous pregnancies (all have ended in m/c). Which is why I'd chosen to moderate my contact with the medical field and stick with more traditional approaches this time around. However, I'm having a hard time believing that an ultrasound will adversely affect the baby. Has anyone else heard anything about this? All input welcome.

I'm not sure but I do know a doula is suppose to offer support and advice but not scare you. Sorry she has frightened you :hugs:

I'm 13+1 and had 4 scans so far and everything is okay x

I personally find them safe. But you will find some on here that are on the same track as your midwife.

But for me, I see no harm in them and it jot like you get them everyday . A lot of women can have them as frequently as once a week if the considered at risk for various things

Never heard that before!

wondering if its true would they not have to tell you first and get your consent in writing before putting your baby at risk?

Whoever is helping you shouldnt be frighting you! there is no proven link to ultrasounds being unsafe and they have tested six ways to Sunday!

Enjoy your scan, have fun seeing your baby for the first time!

I thought the wavelengths in ultrasound emitted were one of the safest...you can tell the ultrasound tech that you've had mc after getting ultrasound and you will need to know the wavelength they use and their equipment specs. Perhaps there is a pattern and you can go to an ultrasound tech that offers at a lower wavelengths? Maybe you are sensitive to something in it. But I don't know any other way that you can get to see your baby if not by an ultra sound.

After googling a bit on this, I guess I will request to just have abdominal ultrasound and not have a trans vaginal. I am getting a scan at 7-8weeks too. I just want to know the pregnancy is happening in the womb and not elsewhere. I'll request a more in depth scan in later weeks when the baby is more stable. But does measuring the heart beat require transvaginal?

A doula should be there to compliment traditional medicine not scare you away from it. Having used a doula previously myself I'm horrified by what yours has said. There is no proven risk between ultrasound and miscarriages.

No. If it were I doubt I would have had one fortnightly while under the care of the recurrent miscarriage clinic. Some drs actually believe that regular reassurance scans can reduce the risk of miscarriage as it can reduce maternal stress.

^^^ that's very much proven now too. My protocol (I've had a lot of loses) is scans every two weeks for the duration of my pregnancy, I get my third this week and I'm only seven weeks.

I honestly can't believe she would say that to you :nope: Sounds like you need to search for a new doula!! She's supposed to be there for support not scaremongering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->