Isofix bases - confused!

T

Tilly

Isofix base? is it much safer? do you have them? Just been looking at this car seat that apparently can be used alone or with the Isofix base.:
https://www.mothercare.com/Maxi-Cos...ing=UTF8&m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&n=42764041&mcb=core

have read that it needs to be fitted with as Isofix base, but have found this one that is compatible.. so im guessing thats all fine?
https://www.mothercare.com/Maxi-Cos...ing=UTF8&m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&n=42764041&mcb=core

Bethanie has the Maxi Cosi Priori XP and it doesn't have a base.. it seems sturdy on it's own and I didn't think it needed anything extra with it but now im a bit confused about all these bases..

Please help me!:hissy:

EDIT - Sorry, just forgot to say. With Bethanie we used the travel system on her pram (even when she was newborn). We didn't use the pram position at all. I know *they* say that newborns need to lie down, but we always thought that she spent most of her time lying down, so why would it matter if she was sitting up for a bit whilst we were out and about. We're not sure whether to get the carrycot attachment or not.. it's not the money (well we don't have loads but you know what I mean) but we feel that it's maybe more of an added extra they want you to pay. We see newborns in the travel system loads, jsut like we did with Bethanie.. but this has made me doubt myself a bit.

What are your thoughts on this ??

Isofix is safer to some degree as there's only one way to fit it and once fitted it cannot be adjusted. Sometimes with a seatbelt, over time the belt slackens slightly, also the bit it fastens into can 'crunch' in a crash. We have an Isofix for Kaya and get on really well with it. I want a combination carseat for this next one but they don't do Isofix ones.

We've got the graco car seat and base (not the isofix one but similar :D)

I'm not sure how much safer it is, but it's so much easier to use :D Once you've fitted the base in you just click the car seat into place. The one time the base wasn't used I was fighting with seat belts to get the car seat in properly :lol:

We use the travel system for Jay and have done since he was born - he's never in his car seat for longer than two hours but it's so easy to just click the car seat into the pram and back into the car (and often we can do it without waking him up :D)

xx

Isofix is pretty safe hun as the "fix" bit is actually part of the chassis on your car so its a lot stronger than just a seatbelt in an accident.

There are loads of variations/brands but as long as the seat and the base is compatible then it doesnt matter, they all do the same job.

I dont have one but im forever using it at work and have done some training on it, if either of my cars had it i would deffo buy one but seeings as mine dont theres no point lol

I have an isofix base in my car & use the maxi cosi car seat in it have the quinny buzz buggy!! My life is SO simple bcoz of the base- not only is it safer for the lo but so easy to click seat in & out.. The best 100 odd pounds I have spent- deffo worth it!!

Thanks all. I always do this - ask a question on here, then find the answer out the next day. We went to look at the pram we want today and decided on that car seat but maybe not be able to get the isofix base as we will be selling our car for a vw polo and getting a slightly older model that we're not sure has isofix.
Anyway, I just panicked last night that it was completely necessary to have isofix. If we can get it eventually, then we definitely will as safety is our no.1 concern!

I'm guessing that the Isofix base is similar to our LATCH system. Where there are the little hook like anchors in the middle of the seat, and the base has clips that attach? If so, I LOVE it. I feel so much safer with it like that. Erica is also now in the Maxi Cosi Priori, and we use the latch system and the seat belt. In her infant seat, we loved having the bases. We bought several for the different cars she rode in frequently, including our moms so they didn't have to buy a whole other car seat. We will do the same with this one. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrsA3000
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->