issue with different school home times!

Ju_bubbs

Proud single Mummy of 5!
Reaction score
Ive not even thought of this problem til now! My 11 year old just started secondary school yesterday, its just up the road, so he walks to and from school with a group of friends.. but I've just suddenly realised that onmonday when my younger 2 go back to school on monday theres going to be an overlap between my eldest arriving home, and me arriving home from primary school.

My eldest finishes school at 3.10 and gets home at about 3.15, my other 2 go to school 15 minutes away and they dont finish until 3.15, but rarely come out til 3.30, which means I dont get home till anywhere up to 3.45.

I cant collect my eldest from school and take him, as then I'd be risking not getting to the otehr school on time and dont want them hagning around waiting for me everyday! So do I give my eldest a key and trust him not to drop it somewhere and not to fil the house with mates, or make him wait around outside the house? He goes straight out to play in the estate as soon as he gets home anyway, but its a bit different when im just inside if he needs me, not 15 minutes away iykwim? :shrug:

is there a neighbour who can keep an eye on him until you get back or keep a key and let him in to get changed until you get home

I dont really know anyone round here tbh, Ive only lived here a year, and try my best just to keep myself to myself.. im not a 'coffee morning' type person lol

I would give him a key with instructions that you are trusting him now he is older to be sensible and look after the key. He could use the time between getting home and you arriving home to get out of his uniform and make a start on homework - getting him into that routine now will really help when he gets more and more homework and the school start to expect them to do more themselves.

Yes I suppose that is my only option really.. its just the thought of my lil boy being all grown up :( lol

He has to grow up at some point as scary as it is for you as mum and this will be a good test. I would make it clear to him that you are trusting him and that if he breaks that trust then there will be consequences.

A few keys will be lost along the way, but I don't think you have any other option but to trust him and give him a key. I'd rather him have access to inside the house than outside, especially when it comes to worse weather.

well went and got him a key cut today, the younger 2 are back at school tomorrow so we'll see how it goes! I wish he was still a baby :rofl: :(

Ive got the same Situation! Ella starts at Nursery which is the opposite side of Town to my oldest daughter which starts Big School.

They both finish at the same time yet there schools are no where near each other :rofl: Im going to have fun running! Mind you good for wieghtloss i guess :lol:

So far, so good! No lost keys, no parties, and he's even had his homework done before I got home on 1 night!! lol Seems he's more trustworthy than I givee him credit for :lol:

Thats great. Am so glad he is proving how grown up he can be and now you will know you can trust him when he starts to want to do things

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->