it is to harsh?advise needed urgently!

davidjoemum

mum to Davie and Sophie
Reaction score
We in the process of buying the house ATM and we ment to be moving 5th of April.compltion and exchange should take place on Tuesday.
We got phone call from estate agent on thursady that current owner has been diagnosed with cancer and he still want to sell that house but got other things on his head ATM.i do understand him my mom died of cancer and I'm a nurse in oncology so I know how devastating he must be and my heart goes to him and all my prayers I do hope he will be fine.
Here is a catch no 1
i got wonderful job opportunity there(I live in Kent now house we buying is in Surrey)I went on interview 2 months ago and I got it!!!!i should be starting my new position at the end of April.
I can't commute as is 2 hour drive each way at it would cost me as much as I earn so there is no option plus i will be away for 13 h and I need to leave house everyday at 3 am!!!! i also have 2 under 2 kids which going to go to the nursery in surrey and fees are already payed for them over 1000 gbp.
second catch
our house we are currently living in is also sold after 9 months on the market and we need to move out too.we dont want to lose our buyer.
we cant afford renting in surrey(short term rental will be about 2000 gbp per month)

I don't know what to do if I won't be in Surrey I lose my dream job my buyer and nursery fee.
after long chat with Oh we thinking to tell them that we are very sorry for devastating news about vendor illness but here is our situation blah blah.and if they need couple more weeks its fine otherwise we out of the deal and we will take the lost of money on survey nursery fees MY DREAM JOB and my buyer and start from the scratch looking elsewhere for house and job.
i know its terrible diagnosis but we need to think about our family.is that too harsh?im really upset (and fed up)they should move out by 26 march but women claimed that they need to find suitable place to rent because her son got asbergers.this house was listed as chain free thats why we took it.

I'm devastated for current owner and for my situation too.
I don't know what to do any suggestions ?
please please please i need word of advise.
Thanx

Oh crickey what a situation! I think you're reasonable to do as you've suggested. Obviously it is awful that the seller has cancer and you don't want to add more stress to him at this difficult time, but if you can't afford the time and money to wait around then what can you do? Hopefully he'll still want to sell, especially if he has somewhere else lined up to buy. Hope it works out for you and that he gets well soon :hugs:

You know I'd send a letter straight to the seller, if possible, saying how truly sorry you are and explaining your situation and see what he says. Otherwise no, I don't think it's too harsh.

I think its a fair request. Our baby daughter died 2 weeks before we were due to move house, but I didnt consider postponing the move as it wouldnt have been fair to the buyer x

I think its a fair request. Our baby daughter died 2 weeks before we were due to move house, but I didnt consider postponing the move as it wouldnt have been fair to the buyer x

Thanks for your respond LoraLoo and I am sorry to hear about your beautiful daughter
Hugs.xxx

Oh crickey what a situation! I think you're reasonable to do as you've suggested. Obviously it is awful that the seller has cancer and you don't want to add more stress to him at this difficult time, but if you can't afford the time and money to wait around then what can you do? Hopefully he'll still want to sell, especially if he has somewhere else lined up to buy. Hope it works out for you and that he gets well soon :hugs:

As far as we know they not buying anymore they lost their jobs and going to rent.

I don't wish to sound at all unsympathetic towards his diagnosis as we all know how dreadful cancer is.

However, it sounds very much as though they are stalling as they haven't found anywhere to move to. If they had been serious about moving April 5th, they would surely have a rental agreement in place by now, especially considering the bank holidays.

I would be asking the estate agents for some evidence that they are comitted to the sale. It sounds very much to me as though they want to stay put until they find a rental property. If they were serious about the sale and had found somewhere to rent and signed a tenancy agreement, they would be paying both rent and a mortgage from April 5th, which just doesn't make sense if they've lost their jobs.

hope it all works out for you

I don't wish to sound at all unsympathetic towards his diagnosis as we all know how dreadful cancer is.

However, it sounds very much as though they are stalling as they haven't found anywhere to move to. If they had been serious about moving April 5th, they would surely have a rental agreement in place by now, especially considering the bank holidays.

I would be asking the estate agents for some evidence that they are comitted to the sale. It sounds very much to me as though they want to stay put until they find a rental property. If they were serious about the sale and had found somewhere to rent and signed a tenancy agreement, they would be paying both rent and a mortgage from April 5th, which just doesn't make sense if they've lost their jobs.

Thank you that is brilliant advice we will speak to the estate agent on Tuesday anyway so I will mention that!
Your comment make sense they sholuld have arranged somewhere to go already.

You're welcome, hope you get some answers.

The estate agent will be very keen for the sale to go through so if they get any feeling you are possibly going to withdraw from the purchase I'm sure they will do everything they can to help.

If you are willing to delay for a couple of weeks, they could show commitment to the sale by exchanging. That way they get a couple of weeks to come to terms with the diagnosis (& find a rental property if my above assumption is correct) & you get a legally binding completion date.

Good luck x

Would they negotiate some more? Knock the months rent from the asking price?

^^^ Exactly what I was going to say also.

Also, we've been in our house a long time now so maybe the laws and processes have changed since then, but... if you're due to complete on friday surely you've already exchanged? This usually comes first? If so you are in a legally binding promise situation and have to complete within a certain time, either party can still pull out but then the other party can take thrn to court for compensation (which would be awarded only if courts see fit obviously).

^^^ technically you can exchange and complete on the same day in the England, not sure on Scottish law mind.

^^^ technically you can exchange and complete on the same day in the England, not sure on Scottish law mind.

That's what we were doing exchange and complete on the same day
Well it's Tuesday today we will have some answers so i will update later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->