IUD - for 2-2.5 years?

tasha41

Mum & Dad + 1
Reaction score
Hi girls.. just wondering what your thoughts were on getting an IUD for only 2 to 2.5 years. I plan to TTC in the summer of 2011 (could be June, could be August)... however I absolutely do not want to get pregnant before then.

I don't want to go on the pill, as I got pregnant on the pill with Elyse, and I'm really liking this idea of "forgettable" birth control that's also not permanent!

OH is okay with condoms but I don't like to use them really. I'd rather have a more spontaneous sex life until then and it majorly annoys me waiting for him to put a condom on now (as we didn't use them while I was pregnant)

???

I have one in now its called a mirena and were planning on ttc 2012 so mine wont b in that long and doc says that would b fine. I would recommend it!! Its a simple procedure taking it out and ur fertility returns almost imediatly!!

quote=morri;2026741]
Hi Morri =]

I wondered what that was as well when you mentioned it
How does it work if there are no hormones?

xx

Hi, It works through copper ions. Copper ions are spermazoid and also letal to eggcells too.

If it is allowed I can post a link here to the description of it .
gynefix
Copper coils have been used before though only that this one is frame less and so less likely to cause irritations et such.(I didn't have any at all)[/quote]

Id go for this :)

I don't like the idea of something being tied to my uterus, thanks... o_O

It doesn't touch the walls though ^^

Yea i'd recommend it:)
Much better then either my patch or implant:)
I have the mirena, fantastic that a can forget about, we will be trying in about 3yrs and the docs says thats fine x

The docs "forget" to tell you if they have an affect on your cycles after you come off it. I came off the pill and my gp was like "oh your perods will go back to normal straight away"

BOLLOCKS! my first cycle was 52 days. my next 36 and the last 2 have been 27 days.

The docs "forget" to tell you if they have an affect on your cycles after you come off it. I came off the pill and my gp was like "oh your perods will go back to normal straight away"

BOLLOCKS! my first cycle was 52 days. my next 36 and the last 2 have been 27 days.

I really smiled at your matter of fact "BOLLOCKS". It is true, why does it seem sometimes we know more than a doctor, there is no logic to it but it so often true. Hope u r well xx

And sorry tasha41, I have no idea, the only prevention I had ever done is condoms.

Well , Here everything you can read is, and what doctors tell you too(unles they are shifty doctors) is that it takes half a year depending n the person tog et the cycle back.

Stupid question BUT does getting one put in hurt at all??

^ I'm wondering too. I assume they have to shove it up pretty far??? :rofl:

My mum got pregnant twice with a coil fitted and I've been on the pill for ~8yrs now and not had any problems so I guess it depends on the person.

I think some pills are less effective aren't they? I think the combined one (microgynon etc) is supposed to be fairly reliable in theory. I do worry about how long it will take to get my cycles back to anything ressembling 'normal' but at the moment the predictability of AF is handy.

Last time I went for my pill check-up the nurse was really pushing me to get a coil but I'm reluctant cuz of mum getting pregnant with it even though I know that's a bit silly bcuz it doesn't neccesarily mean I will. I think you have to have them checked regularly too but suppose it's not much worse than getting a pill checkup. The copper sounds like a good way to make the coil more effective without adding a load of hormones. Does anyone know what the pregnanct rate with it is like? I think for the pill it's supposed to be less than 1 in 100.

I hate using condoms as they make me very sore for some reason (not latex allergy -the latex free ones are even worse for me!).

Sorry for the essay!

IUDs with the hormones in them are supposed to be essentially as effective as being sterilized. The plain copper ones I'm not sure. I got pregnant on Alesse, even though it's supposed to be 99% effective.

Condoms can be irritating if they get dried out sometimes??

I used Mirena for about 2 1/2 years. It was not at all painful when placed or removed. I was very apprehensive about it but really easy. My periods disappeared for the last 14 months while it was in, that was a great perk too. BUT I had it removed March 9th 2008 and started my period 2 days later (while on vacation) and it lasted for 13 days. That was the worst AF I have ever had in my entire life. Very heavy and I attribute it to the fact that I went 14 months with no AF. After having it removed I charted my cycles for 3 months prior to TTC. After getting the IUD removed I never had a consistant cycle length (24-29 days.) We were TTC 10 months before actually falling pregnant and I had to use OPK and chart every month because the cycle lengths were so different.

I would recommend it but I would have it removed a few months before TTC to let things regulate... oh and do not go on vacation right after getting it removed. BAD idea.

^ thanks for the detailed and informative reply!! I'll remember not to get it removed before vacation!!

also now that I think about it I had mine placed when I as on AF. Not that I was okay with that but the doctor told me that would help because my cervix would be better positioned. That might be why I had no pain associated with placement.

And after you have it placed it will have strings that hang down a little inside your "v". If they get annoying you can either go back and have them clip them or have your OH clip them. I was just not comfortable with my husband fishing for strings to clip so I had my doctor do it. They were slightly annoying but made it hard to have sex before they were clipped. After clipping no problems what so ever.

I liked the patch but the ring worked well for me too.

I would never personally consider using any sort of IUD, as I know someone who got pregnant on it, and when they scanned her to find out if it had gone missing they found it was still there, right beneath the embryo. She was 7 weeks. They couldn't leave it in there so they had to try to remove it and the baby was lost in the process. She was devastated, even though she had been trying not to get pregnant by having it in the first place. Apparently this even isn't that uncommon. Sometimes the opposite is the case, and there's scar tissue in the uterus as a result of those things. My doctor (years ago) told me he wouldn't recommend an IUD before I'd had kids if I wanted any later.

All together, too many horror stories, both about IUD's and Depo. (One of the Depo stories is my own, it was awful awful awful and I will NEVER have it again) Wouldn't even consider either of those options for birth control.

After we're done having kids, hubby has said he will get snipped, so we won't have to worry about birth control any more. :dance:

I liked the patch but the ring worked well for me too.

I would never personally consider using any sort of IUD, as I know someone who got pregnant on it, and when they scanned her to find out if it had gone missing they found it was still there, right beneath the embryo. She was 7 weeks. They couldn't leave it in there so they had to try to remove it and the baby was lost in the process. She was devastated, even though she had been trying not to get pregnant by having it in the first place. Apparently this even isn't that uncommon. Sometimes the opposite is the case, and there's scar tissue in the uterus as a result of those things. My doctor (years ago) told me he wouldn't recommend an IUD before I'd had kids if I wanted any later.

All together, too many horror stories, both about IUD's and Depo. (One of the Depo stories is my own, it was awful awful awful and I will NEVER have it again) Wouldn't even consider either of those options for birth control.

After we're done having kids, hubby has said he will get snipped, so we won't have to worry about birth control any more. :dance:

IUD's are not recommended unless you hve had children before. I had no problems with mine what-so-ever.

Yea thats the good thing about the framless one. It is in a size available that is suitable for woman who didnt have kids before too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->