IUD or Vasectomy?

My husband was given a pill (can't remember the name now) that did chill him out a lot before he went in for the in office procedure. I really wish they had been able to do it then but oh well. I think I needed the time to come to grips with no more on my own and not feel forced.

My husband was given a pill (can't remember the name now) that did chill him out a lot before he went in for the in office procedure. I really wish they had been able to do it then but oh well. I think I needed the time to come to grips with no more on my own and not feel forced.

More than likely some kind of benzodiazpine, it is the ideal choice for in office procedure. The amnesia and relaxation and stuff.

I wonder how common it is to have to go back a second time? I wish I could go with him to his appointment, but honestly, I think it's something he needs to do himself. But I am such a control freak sometimes I want to be there....

I don't think it's the common. It seems my DH just has too much connective tissue attached to the vas deferens so it requires a larger incision and time.

I don't think it's the common. It seems my DH just has too much connective tissue attached to the vas deferens so it requires a larger incision and time.

No way to check that out before hand either!

I assured DH it's a common procedure, he probably knows men who have had it. Too bad men don't get on BnB and talk about their procedures like we do :haha:

They didn't give my OH any sort of sedative, just a topical local anesthetic. Although if he was having anxiety and asked maybe they would have offered him something. It's literally a 10 min procedure, it was a bit painful but really short and quick. I dropped him off, then drove to a coffee shop and he texted me to come and pick him up before my coffee was even ready. Afterwards it was maybe two days of feeling tender and then all was fine. My OH didn't like the idea of having someone mess around down there, but he looked at is as I put my body through two pregnancies/labours/child births, the least he could do was go through a somewhat painful 10 min procedure.

They didn't give my OH any sort of sedative, just a topical local anesthetic. Although if he was having anxiety and asked maybe they would have offered him something. It's literally a 10 min procedure, it was a bit painful but really short and quick. I dropped him off, then drove to a coffee shop and he texted me to come and pick him up before my coffee was even ready. Afterwards it was maybe two days of feeling tender and then all was fine. My OH didn't like the idea of having someone mess around down there, but he looked at is as I put my body through two pregnancies/labours/child births, the least he could do was go through a somewhat painful 10 min procedure.

Amen to that, Dr gave me a freaking episotomy with #3 - way more than a tiny little precision incision. That said I had a good epidural, so...

And tonight we are going to go buy him a new (used, but best we can afford) car, so he should have no complaints.

I had a very early loss, we weren't TTC, so I got an IUD put in during the tail end of the bleeding. I then got pregnant with Emma before even having another cycle and the IUD had to be removed which wasn't fun. I'm not sure I trust those things, at least not for my body.

I know you decided against a tubal, but I had one during my c-section with Emma. It was a complex c-section, it went on and on, I had a tear in my uterus, the spinal was wearing off, she wasn't breathing and was whisked away, I had a drain in for 3 days, aaaand the bloody catheter in for 4 days!! I still recovered VERY quickly, I was driving the kids about at 5 days PP. There was no specific or localised pain from the tubal.

Keyhole surgery is a breeze, I think so anyway, I've had it a couple of times for other things and you're usually sore the first day, then bounce back very quickly.

I've had zero period, pain or hormonal issues since and my period actually became more regular and predictable.

Hope it all goes well with your OHs procedure :)

DH had a consultation today, waiting on a call to schedule. Seems like vasectomy it is!

April 6th!

Seeing my OB on Tuesday for the Caya diaphram to use with condoms until the green light clear test.

Not too long to wait. That's nice.

DH will have his late July or early August. I'm getting an iud until then. Hopefully my body is agreeable to it since I plan to keep it until he gets the all clear.

Not too long to wait. That's nice.

DH will have his late July or early August. I'm getting an iud until then. Hopefully my body is agreeable to it since I plan to keep it until he gets the all clear.

Yeah. And I'm still not cycling while breastfeeding so I may not even be fertile until after the surgery! I went to 15 months with DD. Just don't want to risk it, thus the Caya and what not.

I completely understand! We've struggled with infertility and I'm so not gonna chance getting pregnant. Alice was a freak ovulation so it does happen.

my husband had a vasectomy. 30 minutes in the dr office and a day with an ice pack down below and he was fine. He said it took a few weeks for him to feel back to 100%, but it was definitely a very easy procedure. I hate BC, and although i also hate having periods, it was the better option for us.

I know you said a con is hard to reverse, but if you are truly done having kids that shouldn't be an issue. I also told my husband i went through tearing and episiotomies, healing from a vasectomy couldn't be much worse. and from my point of view, it wasn't.

my husband had a vasectomy. 30 minutes in the dr office and a day with an ice pack down below and he was fine. He said it took a few weeks for him to feel back to 100%, but it was definitely a very easy procedure. I hate BC, and although i also hate having periods, it was the better option for us.

I know you said a con is hard to reverse, but if you are truly done having kids that shouldn't be an issue. I also told my husband i went through tearing and episiotomies, healing from a vasectomy couldn't be much worse. and from my point of view, it wasn't.

The only concern that is nagging me, someone mentioned the doctor brought up things like if there was an accident and one or more of your children died, would you want to conceive again?

I'm not sure about that. I don't think I would, I think I would foster or adopt of I lost my children and felt that need, but I'm not sure. I don't think I'd ever want to conceive more of our own, especially considering my health issues in past pregnancies.

My husband had his vasectomy on the 6th. He had to go under general anesthesia so it was a more intense procedure from the standard office one. He did ice it for a week and seemed to experience a bit of pain for 7/8 days but now seems back to his normal self.

If we ever lost a child I know we wouldn't try again. I think we're both done and now that the procedure is done it feels right for us.

I thought about that too. If I ever lost a child, part of me feels like I really would want another, but at the same time... Would I be having one just to replace the one that is missing? To try to fill in some hole I have in my heart? I don't know for sure, but I had to have faith in the fact that we both feel like our family is complete. I didn't want to make a decision based out of fear. Vasectomies can be reversed, and adoption or fostering is also always an option.

In the end you'll have to decide based on what you think is best for you. If thats a real fear you have, and you would want to have another child (or think you might change your mind 5-10 years down the road), then a different form of BC is probably a better option.

I thought about that too. If I ever lost a child, part of me feels like I really would want another, but at the same time... Would I be having one just to replace the one that is missing? To try to fill in some hole I have in my heart? I don't know for sure, but I had to have faith in the fact that we both feel like our family is complete. I didn't want to make a decision based out of fear. Vasectomies can be reversed, and adoption or fostering is also always an option.

In the end you'll have to decide based on what you think is best for you. If thats a real fear you have, and you would want to have another child (or think you might change your mind 5-10 years down the road), then a different form of BC is probably a better option.

No we are sure on the vasectomy. I worry a lot, I suffer from anxiety and often have quite irrational fears. It's important for me to make this decision from a not fear based point. I don't feel if we lost one or all of our children I'd want to have another. I don't like to dwell on the decision as thoughts of my children dying trigger endless loops of anxious thoughts. Mostly car crashes, choking, and drowning, but I digress. We have made our decision and are going through with it.

No we are sure on the vasectomy. I worry a lot, I suffer from anxiety and often have quite irrational fears. It's important for me to make this decision from a not fear based point. I don't feel if we lost one or all of our children I'd want to have another. I don't like to dwell on the decision as thoughts of my children dying trigger endless loops of anxious thoughts. Mostly car crashes, choking, and drowning, but I digress. We have made our decision and are going through with it.

I have those anxious thoughts too. It's so scary and I can get completely consumed by them if I let myself think about it too much. Once the vasectomy is over, I felt a lot of worry, and had a lot of anxiety, but the further away we get from it the more okay I am with the decision. Every once in a while I think "ok time for another baby," and then I remember we're done. I do sort of feel this emptiness and sadness inside whenever I think about it. I've talked to other ladies though and I've been assured that it's a normal feeling. Moving on to a new stage of life (baby-less forever) is a hard pill to swallow, and an even harder thing to get used to. At the same time, i'm feeling pretty excited about all the fun things we will be able to do in the future because we have children that are a little more grown up.

Well, just wanted to update. The procedure is done. Took DH in this morning.

He said the worst part was the anesthetic, he thought they used abnormally large needles. I think the fact they were going into his scrotum was probably part of his perception. He said the procedure was fairly textbook, that the doctor did comment that he had abnormally large vas deferens, but the procedure went well. I was surprised, he walked out. I thought they'd wheel him out (I saw other guys leaving in wheelchairs with specimen collection kits, so I figured they were there for the same thing). Now he's resting with a bag of frozen peas on the affected area.

He has his first sample due in 6 weeks, and we will see how it goes.

Unfortunately, DH may be having some complications. He has a followup tomorrow at 1pm.

Healing is not where we'd expect him to be, and with the complications, well it just sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->