IVF/FET May and June

Hi fern!! I definitely remember you too! I'm excited you are starting ivf! I was really anxious last month about all of the unknowns with ivf but honestly, it really wasn't that bad. I didn't love giving myself 3 injections a day but I knew it was only for a couple weeks (10 days total for me).
There were a few days that I felt a bit uncomfortable and was wishing for egg retrieval, but I think i may have been a bit constipated those days and that put a lot of pressure on everything. Make sure you stay regular!
Retrieval for me was really easy. My clinic keep us awake for it, but gave some fentanyl which definitely helped. It was really cool watching the ultrasound screen and watching the follicle collapse as they drained them.
I didn't get any ohss so my recovery went well too.
Try not to be to anxious and stressed about it.
Take it day by day, needle by needle.
Just be prepared for the tww. It was worse then any other tww!

Fern - I love the idea of a gratitude journal. How creative and I'm sure it comes in handy when you are feeling down.

So I had my first RE appointment today with no surprises. We are definitely moving onto IVF. Theres just a few more tests I need since my prolactin test was high and they want to retest and one more ultrasound to confirm no fluid in my remaining tube. I also need to lose about 10 pounds for the shared-risk plan and also to help success.

Our doctor seemed to really push us to do PGS to help improve the odds, I'm assuming since I'm 35. Anyway since most of you have gone through at least one cycle, did you choose that option? I know a few of you talked about PGD, which is slightly different in what it tests, correct?

I'm not sure of my date yet but I'm guessing I'd start in late June with meds.

Thanks timetotry, if you can still be positive after all you went through with IVF then I guess I can be less anxious about it :). Jeez you had it rough. I hope you have better success next time. I'm definitely going to ask my dr about success rates of ICSI vs IVF.

I can't imagine going through the whole process more than once. In South Africa all fertility treatment is out of pocket. We were fortunate to get a financial donation to partially help fund our IVF. We decided to stop ttc at the end of this year regardless.

Bronte - Hm I think I should ask my dr about PGS/PGD too. Hope you get your hormonal problems sorted out x

:hugs: everyone else

Fern - the doctor said PGS would really help weed out unviable embryos since chromosome abnormalities would be most common reason for miscarriage at my age. Makes sense and he said if you can have more success in an early cycle it could save you money in the long run, plus the agony of having a miscarriage and starting the process over.

There's just so many options it's hard to choose. Since there's so many unknowns.

Am I the only one that's also struggling on whether or not to do a shared-risk finance option too?

Bronte- we debated about PGD and due to the cost, and there being no real indication to do it we opted out. I think PGS might just be blood work and not testing on the embryos. We did not do that, I think mainly because we were confused between PGD and PGS.
Looking back I still wonder if j should have spent the $5000 on the PGD especially since I did have a miscarriage.

We are doing testing now (awaiting the results) for multiple losses. Hopefully that will offer insight on why I've had 2 losses. I have a family history of recurrent losses so we'll see what happens with the testing.

I agree that there are so many decisions and it's hard to know that we're making the right choice.

We are seriously considering pgd after our failed fet. I met with my dr on monday. We went through a finance company called ARC and bought 2 fresh and 2 frozen cycles. I did one fresh, and even though we didn't transfer because we had to do a freeze all, it still counts. So we have one fresh and one frozen left. We were going to move to frozen, and have the embryos we have now tested, but I talked to her about possibly stimming again, but not as aggressive so that we could do a fresh transfer. And then have what we get from a fresh added to our Frozen for testing. Then we have a whole bunch of genetically normal embryos. And still will have one frozen cycle left if the fresh doesn't work. But if the fresh does qork, then we have future babies ready to go. I'm not sure of when we will start now. I'm waiting to find out from my nurse. I hope we can start right when af comes!

Hope you can get started right away Froggy! x

Rebecca I apologize for being confused; are you doing the FET in May or this cycle? Are you doing a natural or medicated cycle?

I have a lot to learn hehe so everyone please bear with all my questions!

Froggy the 2 fresh and 2 frozen cycles are what option we are leaning toward. It's through Attain at our clinic though. I have so many questions about it though. I've heard you'll get a good contract that goes through everything so I'm hoping that answers a lot of questions. I hope you can get started soon!!

From the way I understand, both PGS and PGD are testing on the embryos. PGS tests just the chromosomes and doing so should help determine better embryos for transfer and lead to less miscarriage. Whereas PGD tests for specific genetic disorders such as cystic fibrosis and other disorders. I think that's recommended more if you have a family history of certain disorders or if you have had multiple miscarriages it could help tell you why.

Hope you can get started right away Froggy! x

Rebecca I apologize for being confused; are you doing the FET in May or this cycle? Are you doing a natural or medicated cycle?

I have a lot to learn hehe so everyone please bear with all my questions!

Don't worry, I myself am also confused about my cycle :)
So originally I was under the impression that we would be doing the FET the same cycle as AF arrived. I got AF Friday and then I went Monday morning for cycle monitoring and was told it was only a mock cycle. Well I was a bit dissapointed. Tomorrow we will be moving our 9 little embryos from one lab across town to my current RE's lab. While there I will have an HSG ultrasound and meet with a nurse to map out my cycle. I guess I will have my questions answered tomorrow. Eek I'm so nervous!!

Hey ladies, can i join 😆

I start my 2nd pgd cycle late next month with egg collection around the 9th of May. It will be a freeze all cycle whilst we wait for the biopsy results.
Our first cycle resulted in just 1 healthy embie which turned into a chemical pregnancy 😢
I'm really hoping for more than one this time xx

Rebecca keep us updated!

Hi Rachy; all the best to you xx.

Eessshhhh after seeing what it costs, genetic testing is off the table for us!

Hey ladies, can i join 😆

I start my 2nd pgd cycle late next month with egg collection around the 9th of May. It will be a freeze all cycle whilst we wait for the biopsy results.
Our first cycle resulted in just 1 healthy embie which turned into a chemical pregnancy 😢
I'm really hoping for more than one this time xx

Hello and welcome!

How long do PGD results take?

Rebecca keep us updated!

Hi Rachy; all the best to you xx.

Eessshhhh after seeing what it costs, genetic testing is off the table for us!

Hi everyone,

Here's my update!

Had an HSG ultrasound and I have scarring from my D&C so Wednesday I am having a hysteroscopy. So I will definitely not be doing anything this cycle.
Next cycle I should be on track for my frozen transfer. It will probably be mid to end up May.

Also, our 9 embryos are at their new home in the new RE's lab.

Thanks ladies!

Rebecca, last cycle my embryos were biopsied on day 5, we got our results 9 days later. Some clinics can do a day 3 biopsy and a day 5 fresh transfer but accuracy of testing on day 3 isn't as good.

Good luck Rachy.

Rebecca that's frustrating you have scarring that will postpone stuff. But glad your embryos arrived safely at your new RE's office.

Thanks ladies!

Rebecca, last cycle my embryos were biopsied on day 5, we got our results 9 days later. Some clinics can do a day 3 biopsy and a day 5 fresh transfer but accuracy of testing on day 3 isn't as good.

So will you be able to do the frozen transfer the next month?

Yes 😀
I can start down regulation on day 21 after my egg collection bleed if we have anything to transfer. Im considering putting it off for a few months and going for a natural transfer with progesterone support, oestrogen pills make me feel horrible but i need to discuss that with my clinic first.

Has anyone here done a natural fet?

If our IVF fails and any embies make it to freeze, we will be doing a natural FET in August.

Rebecca I'm sorry you have to wait now but good news that your embies are safe and sound.

Question: What supplements/dietary restrictions/advice did your doctors prescribe, if any?
I'm taking coenzyme Q10, L-arginine, multivits, folic acid, vitamin C, zinc, salmon oil and a general multivitamin and am following an anti-inflammatory paleo-style diet (supplements since Jan, diet since Feb). DH is also on supplements, same as me but he gets L-cartinine too. I do moderate to moderately hard exercise 4-5 days a week. Any other tips/advice to get everything ready for IVF?

Rebecca, I'm sorry about your delay, but glad your embryos had a good move!

Rachy my fet was with estrogen patches and lupron.

Fern, the genetic testing is so expensive! We are already paying so much for ivf, and then the crazy fees on top of it for genetic testing are too much! We are having to bend over backwards and sideways to come up with what we need.

I spoke with my nurse this morning, and we are all a go for our fresh cycle. So Rebecca, could you change me on the first page? I'll be doing retrieval around the end of april, and Transfer around the first days of may.

My first was medicated. We used buserelin injections for down regulation, progynova 8mg and then cyclogest pessaries but i really want to avoid oestrogen pills if possible. I have a very regular cycle but i dont know if my clinic will do a natural transfer off the back of my own natural ovulation. It would be much nicer to cut out all the drugs that turn me into a walking nightmare :wacko:

I agree genetic testing is expensive, im in the uk and a first cycle costs in the region of £15,000, subsequent cycles are a little less at £10,000 as the probes are already made. Here we are lucky as we get 3 funded pgd cycles provided we fit a strict criteria. I would have no idea where we would find that sort of money if we had to self fund.

Fern, your doing alot more than me :haha: Im only taking a preconception multivit and eating more fruit & protein, last cycle i did absolutely nothing. I think you've got pretty much everything covered although i do hear alot of ladies talking about acupuncture :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->