IVF Wait

firstbaby25

TTC#1
Reaction score
Hi,

Just looking for stories and whatnot (I don't want to barge in to a thread that's already established)..

I was first on this forum when i was 25 (obviously) :haha: I was TTC then and had one early MC then relationship broke down (I was with an idiot) and haven't really tried TTC since (it drove me mad) I have been a NTNP-er. I am now 31.

I have been back and to to the doctors for 3 years with various icky symptoms and only recently did I get the gynae appt that I so desperately wanted... She actually listened to me and suspected endo. I was booked in (and waited) for a scan and a lap and dye - which I had Friday...

I was told that I have no chance of natural conception - both of my tubes are blocked and I had a cyst that needed draining. I also had adhesions on my cervix and a fibroid (they don't think this will be a problem for IVF)...

I guess i'm just scared I've waited for the right person and I might have ruined his life you know? No one in my family struggles AT ALL to get pregnant and so I have no one to talk to about all of this. my OH is a cross the bridge when we come to it type and that's fine but I am a discuss every option and make a plan type of person.

Are any of you on the waiting list for IVF in the UK? We get 3 free cycles and I am told that I qualify...

Hi! I'm currently going through my first cycle of IVF on the NHS! Depending on where you are the waiting times are different did they give you any indication of how long? We waited less than a year and then defered for 6 months due to personal reasons but it didn't take as long as we thought!

As for waiting for the right person I definitely think you have done the right thing!! And 31 is still REALLY young for ivf :) we're 25 but I've been told many times that success rates are still high till mid 30s!

All my problem's are also tube related I had one clipped as it was hydrosalpinx and the other hopefully won't interfere!

Any questions feel free to ask :) and stay positive! Xx

Phew... Where in the UK are you? Apparently they have 18 weeks to get you started from referral but I currently have no indication of what that is I'm lucky as I am close to both Manchester and Liverpool too.

We are hopefully going to start mid 2017 as having a baby is all I can think about since they told me I can't :haha: you know how it is?

Oh god I wouldn't change my current OH for the world but the why fors and the what ifs have drove me mad this past weekend, i'm going to go back to work tomorrow - so it must be bad.

What's hydrosalpinx? I have never heard of that!

So are you starting? Started? What point you at? I don't know lots about it so hoping to learn while we wait it out - does it hurt?

I'm literally going for my egg retrieval tomorrow and can't wait. I just want this cycle over haha! Personally its not been too bad, the scans and appointments aren't that great as you have a massive "dildocam" everytime you go in �� but it's more of an inconvenience with work and stuff. I haven't reacted too badly to the meds the worst I've had is a few headaches and bloating.

A hydrosalpinx is a blockage of the tubes and fluid collects inside! Mine was due to previous abdo surgery. Do you have an explanation for your blocked tubes? It sucks to have this at our age huh :(

Xx

yeah - it really does. Made me question my whole life! I am still not back at work but I suspect I should go in tomorrow... What do you do?

I have endometriosis (i was only diagnosed 3 weeks ago, with the lap to confirm it) i suspect it's grown in my tubes but the good old NHS make you wait 8 weeks for the follow up where you can get more info than, 'we found you're infertile' I guess I will find out then why they're blocked...

wow!!!! BIG DAY tomorrow - hope you get lots and lots of healthy eggs! I reckon with the wait that I won't start until after my 32nd birthday.

Oh wow that is a big diagnosis to take in! It's ridiculous we have to wait so long for follow up. After my lap I didn't even have a consultant review before being discharged and it took a month to actually find out what they had done to my tubes!

I'm really nervous for tomorrow I have about 15 follicles of which I think hopefully at least 10 are mature enough to have an egg in them! I'll let you know how I get on :)

It's such a bummer when ivf is literally the only option! Have you guys ever thought of going private? I'm hopefull that 3 tries will be enough but it's the waiting around I hate! X

Jesus :growlmad: to leave the hospital without knowing is too much!

When I went in Friday the first thing I asked was how long they take between me waking up and telling me what they find. They said they would tell me that day but that they let you come round first, because it is a lot to take in.

It's funny you say that - because I said the same thing at some point this weekend. IVF should be a last resort not an only resort. I don't want to take it for granted at all and I am grateful to live here with the chances we have, but I can't even bear to think that it won't work.

My Mum mentioned going private and my OH - with me only just finding out my rationale is that I will use NHS as I might want more than one baby and the private can be for the future. I'm greedy I know but I never wanted an only child...

Is it true that the NHS will only put in one embryo?

I think you will be fine tomorrow you know - you're young and 15 should easily result in enough for 3 cycles (forgive me if I am wrong on that, do they extract eggs every cycle or do they do one extraction and freeze them?)

Yes I'm the same I know my family would support me if it came to needing private cycles, but I'm hoping it wouldn't come to that.

So each cycle covered by the nhs is a fresh cycle so stacting from scratch with meds etc. So each fresh cycle you would grown more eggs. However they also cover any frozen embryos you may get (and that's included in one cycle) for example if I get 5 quality embryos they would put 1 back and freeze 4 and I would get 4 frozen cycles (and that all counts as the first attempt. Sorry I'm not great at explaining!

Yes they only put one back unless there are exceptional circumstances such as being over 40 or somthing. I'm really high risk too so definitely only 1 for me. I read somewhere it actually doesn't increase your chances of implantation!

X

Yes I'm the same I know my family would support me if it came to needing private cycles, but I'm hoping it wouldn't come to that.

So each cycle covered by the nhs is a fresh cycle so stacting from scratch with meds etc. So each fresh cycle you would grown more eggs. However they also cover any frozen embryos you may get (and that's included in one cycle) for example if I get 5 quality embryos they would put 1 back and freeze 4 and I would get 4 frozen cycles (and that all counts as the first attempt. Sorry I'm not great at explaining!

Yes they only put one back unless there are exceptional circumstances such as being over 40 or somthing. I'm really high risk too so definitely only 1 for me. I read somewhere it actually doesn't increase your chances of implantation!

X

Wait - that's best news! I don't know about the odds of frozen embryo's and that but effectively to me now it seems that they would give you 5 chances for one cycle... You're great at explaining it! Better than the doctors :haha:

GOOD LUCK today - we don't have to talk about all this - think happy thoughts and be sure to let me know how you get on?

Fx'd for lots of healthy and sticky eggs :thumbup:

Hello!

Ego collection went really well today, was definitely easier than I thought it would be. I only took about an hour in recovery and it was all really seamless apart from being slightly late. They recovered 8 mature eggs, which I'm quite happy about the consultant said they were all good quality :) so I'm to call in the morning for fertilisation number. Fingers crossed!

I'm going to post that ino the December ivf group too haha, too lazy to type it twice

How are you feeling? What do you do for work by the way? Anything planned for fun while you wait on ivf?
X

Hello!

Ego collection went really well today, was definitely easier than I thought it would be. I only took about an hour in recovery and it was all really seamless apart from being slightly late. They recovered 8 mature eggs, which I'm quite happy about the consultant said they were all good quality :) so I'm to call in the morning for fertilisation number. Fingers crossed!

I'm going to post that ino the December ivf group too haha, too lazy to type it twice

How are you feeling? What do you do for work by the way? Anything planned for fun while you wait on ivf?
X

I don't blame you!

Good I am glad! 8 is a great number and hopefully they all fertilise! :happydance::dust: well done - from what I have read that's the 'hardest' (physical) part.

I feel better today - but if you have any tips on coping past lap - i'll gladly hear them! I went to see my nana and auntie and we went to sainsbury's (the small things eh?) but they let me cry it out and feel sorry for myself and talk it all out - so that's good!

I am an accountant, what about you?

I have been signed off for another week but will try and go back on Monday - no one will cover my work!

We are going to try for a relaxing holiday before it (with a good drink, obvs) because this year we just did city breaks - I did Rome and Amsterdam and we went to New York together recently so we are still clawing back from that. We'll look at a beach holiday in May time and hopefully start IVF in June (though I accept that it might not work out that way)...

Have you anything planned or are you just waiting to see how this cycle goes?

I'm hopeful that 8 is enough! OH's sample wasn't as great as last time so we are doing ICSI- hopefully the fertilise. I get the results after 11am tomorrow.

I'm not entirely sure about ways to deal with the results but definitely telling people and talking about it helps. I kept it all to myself for months until I had a drunken night out and blurted it all out to my friend. She's been so good ever since. And taking time to treat yourself to nice food and drink and even like a spa day or somthing! It's all about you now and I live by the fact that I'd rather not give up what I love to be 100% perfect for a baby because I'd rather enjoy my life while I'm waiting. Others prefer to dive into the healthy eating, acupuncture stuff but I personally just want to be myself throughout this.

Im a nurse an I'm due to start my new job in 2 weeks time right when I find out my results! Typical haha.

Hope you can enjoy your holiday when it comes we have to be good to ourselves. I'll definitely be bpoking spm thing if this doesn't work out xxx

What is ICSI? Sorry, I'm just really bad at this! My OH hasn't had his semen analysis yet... so that's another thing to be nervous about. I don't know whether he can just book one for his doctor? So we are one step ahead!

Yeah when I was TTC I refused to stop living and I will be the same now, just smoking I have to stop because they won't do IVF if you smoke...

Thanks. We'll look at holidays after the Christmas break and hopefully get a nice one booked :thumbup:

Wow! - nurse? If I could retrain - that's what I would do! What type of nurse? I know there are lots? Good luck with the new job

So ICSI is the process where they inject a single sperm into each egg so that they have more chance of fertilising! Standard ivf would just be leaving them in a dish and hoping they manage to break into the egg themselves. There's some negatives to icsi but when the sperm isn't 100% I think it is a better option than none fertilising. The only stats show that if egg quality is poor they could 'pop' and kids born with icsi SOMETIMES visit their doctor more in the first few years.

Good luck with the smoking! We're lucky that we have never smoked as it must be so hard to give up! But you can do it :) there will be lots of support when you feel the times right. Me and OH were talking about all the sacrifices of ivf and how if you could conceive naturally you could smoke, drink have no money and generally be unhealthy and people don't bat an eyelid. But with infertility suddenly we are c forced to be these ultra healthy diet obsessed non drinkers with perfect home circumstances who take their folic acid every day. It's mad.

So I'm an adult nurse and my new job is in an admissions unit kinda like a&e so will be really stressful! Is accountancy good? You must be super smart and good with numbers- one thing which I am not ��

An hour till I can phone for fertilisation numbers! Ahhhh x

I'm glad it's quick for you! You literally had them took out yesterday and hey are knocking them up and cooking babies! Good luck! Let me know how it gets on?!

I'm not the smartest. I went to uni, got a law degree and decided I didn't wanna be a lawyer... so I set about looking for something else... as the recession was on - the only people I knew that weren't struggling for work were accountants so I decided to do that :haha: I'm still studying it and have a new exam a week today - DREADING IT.

Nursing does sound stressful. Do you do 3 x 12 hour shifts?

Your OH sounds really supportive. What you say is true! I considered that maybe we should get married just because we will be doing IVF? WTF? Luckily I got a grip of myself!

My OH isn't much of a talker - not in a bad way just crosses bridges when he gets to them. It works for him!

Oh dear god, just seen you posted more than an hour ago. You'll know now!

Heyyy! Not sure if you saw on the other thread , they injected 4 of my eggs and all 4 have fertilised. So it's good that they fertilised but I'm not sure why they only did 4! Seems quite a let down to go through so much for only 4 but I keep reminding myself that I only need 1!

Just praying they keep growing and make it to Saturday!

Yup I do long days so on my feet for a long time. I'm hoping it won't be ridiculous as soon as I start!

Oooh good luck with your exam! I always hated exams and tests. Hope it goes well for you :)

OH isn't really much of a talker either but I know he is committed and has stated making more effort to understand the concepts of ivf to show an interest. As long as they're there for the difficult times that's the main thing :)

So have you had your tubes removed did you say or just diagnosed as blocked? Sorry my memory is rubbish!

And the 4 will all get used in once cycle? They'll keep transferring them until one sticks and if not - cycle #2?

Will they transfer one then, on Saturday? Is that why they have to make it until then?

I had a friend was a nurse - it sure seems to be hard work but you all do a terrific job!

No they left them there have read of a few women that fell pregnant after the dye test but I was 'fertile' the day of the test and a few days after - so didn't really wanna and the risk of ectopic! I am unsure about trying naturally - because of thid risk...

Maybe it's just a men thing? He will talk with me but not as much as I could talk about it!!!

Have you any weekend plans?

I got my follow up letter from the hospital I go back on the 1st February 2017!

It's been a whole week since I found out I can't have kids :(

If all 4 make to to tomorrow 1 will be transfered and then the rest will be left until Monday when they turn into blastocysts. They can only be frozen at blastocyst stage so if none of them make it to monday I'll only have 1 shot this cycle. It's BRUTAL!

so can you not get surgery to remove some of the scar tissue or open your tubes? Did any of the dye spill through? I was told one of my tubes is slightly patent and we have had unprotected sex for the last year and nothing has ever happened :( my hydrosalpinx was a blocked tube which is filled with fluid and had to be clipped before ivf because the fluid can be poisonous to the embryo. I've learnt so much but it doesn't make it aby easier.

So sorry youre having to go through this it's awful but take it from me that it does get a bit easier when you start to have a plan of action. And just try to take your mind off things cause you can never forget it :(

So excited for your appointment in Feb! I know it's frustrating when you just want answers now!

I don't have any plans cause I'm thinking tomorrow will be transfer day so I Should probably rest up. I could really do with a glass/bottle of wine but I've come this far without any drink so I probably shouldn't haha!! X

Yes Treasured! You can do it - hopefully it's only for the next 9 months :haha: if not in 2 weeks you can drink 5 bottles!!

I hope it's 9 months for you though...

Apparently they don't unblock the tubes on the NHS. It can be done in America but everyone pays for the health - they can catheterise your tubes to unblock them. There was absolutely no spillage at all. :sad: I feel miles better you know these past few days. In my real life - I don't know anyone that's had 3 failed IVF cycles so that's positive, I guess. I can't grieve for not having babies when I don't know that that will happen!

Let me know how you get on today! Relax and take it easy...

So from starting the meds to now how long is it? Looking for the length of the cycle here! So I can start to prepare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->