January Babies?

Hi everyone I'm 5 weeks 3 days due jan 12th!!! It's mine and DH 1st and very excited!!!

My only concerns is I have An 11 month old cat and have been reading about Toxoplasmosis which has been making me very anxious as our cat hunts daily!!! I havnt cleaned the litter out for a few months since ttc DH Has been doing that but we have an open plan kitchen Lounge diner which is where his tray is kept. I can't stop him from jumping On the kitchen units either!!!
Does anyone else have cats or can stop me from fretting?! Lol xxxx
I've heard putting down tinfoil on the countertops will prevent them from jumping as the noise scares them off. I've known a few people who were pregnant with a cat/ multiple cats and haven't heard of them having health issues. The worrying is probably more detrimental, just make sure to clean ur hands/ surfaces.

Hi everyone I'm 5 weeks 3 days due jan 12th!!! It's mine and DH 1st and very excited!!!

My only concerns is I have An 11 month old cat and have been reading about Toxoplasmosis which has been making me very anxious as our cat hunts daily!!! I havnt cleaned the litter out for a few months since ttc DH Has been doing that but we have an open plan kitchen Lounge diner which is where his tray is kept. I can't stop him from jumping On the kitchen units either!!!
Does anyone else have cats or can stop me from fretting?! Lol xxxx

You are in luck. I am a veterinarian. You have nothing to be concerned about so long as your DH continues to clean the litter daily!

Toxoplasma is a protozoal parasite shed in cat feces but is also present in undercooked/contaminated meat. To be infective, the oocyst needs to be present in the environment for 48 hrs. If your DH cleans the litter daily, the oocyst simply cannot be infective, even if you should accidently consume one (ick)!

Wipe down the counters before food prep. This is sufficient.

There is a LOT of bad information out there on this topic. Even "What to Expect When You're Expecting" lists is as a VIRUS! Grrrrr.

You don't need to get rid of your cat, just practice good hygiene and avoid the box. If you do end up cleaning the litter, wear gloves and wash your hands. No problem.

I have 2 cats. I am also exposed to the worst of the worst in my job. And I'm not scared. Knowledge is power Jim_Bear! Best Wishes!

Dittybyrd - Since you're a vet can I ask you a question?

I just got a puppy last week and took it to the vet on Friday to get her 8 week shots and heartworm/deworming pill. Since the pill she has been pooping out roundworms. I've heard these are easily transmissable to humans. I have two young boys and i'm pregnant so i'm a little worried. What are your thoughts?

TIA :)

I breed Ragdoll cats and have a girl due tonight/tomorrow, and another next week. They are strictly indoor cats and have never hunted, they don't eat raw meat at all so the risk of them having been exposed to toxoplasmosis is very small. Hubby works abroad at times so I have no choice but to change litter trays, they are changed and disinfected daily (I wear rubber gloves and disposable aprons).

I keep my girls off of the kitchen sides by having a few of the "sense and spray" automatic air fresheners strategically placed on the worktops (close to where they try to jump up). A few "sprays" by the smelly hissy thing and they get the message. They no longer try to get on the sides.

Dittybyrd - Since you're a vet can I ask you a question?

I just got a puppy last week and took it to the vet on Friday to get her 8 week shots and heartworm/deworming pill. Since the pill she has been pooping out roundworms. I've heard these are easily transmissable to humans. I have two young boys and i'm pregnant so i'm a little worried. What are your thoughts?

TIA :)

Since the puppy is defecating roundworms, you know the deworming medication is working. The adults worms want to live in the puppy and they shed eggs in the feces. Once you see adults in the feces, you know the adults are dead.

Roundworm eggs are infectious through fecal-oral transmission. Yep, that means you have to eat poop. I always tell folks to practice good hygiene. Keep you hands out of your mouth and off of your face. Wash your hands after cleaning up accidents and always before eating meals and after playing with puppy.

Your risk of contracting roundworms is relatively low and is nearly impossible if you practice good hygiene. Kids are always as a higher risk because of their behaviors but, again, relative risk is low.

One great way to keep cats off of counters (and out of cribs) is a product called SSSCat. It's a compressed air canister that comes with a motion detector. I have one for my crew and it scares them right off the counter.

Theres lots of us due Jan- looks like a bit of a baby boom lol!

theres a jan 2013 birthboards too.

Love bump buddies! :)

Elle x

lol i literally said the EXACT same thing to my bf the other day. when i bought my frer at kmart, the guy at checkout goes to me "seriously...you too?!? thats like the third one today!!!!"

both me and two co workers found out we were pregnant just weeks apart, and when i went to get WIC, the women behind the desk said january has been an extremely popular month lately, and the nurse told me they hadnt been this busy with newly preggos in forever!!!!

SOO happy to a part of this baby boom!!!!

I found out on Mother's Day that I am pregnant with my first. By my calculations I am due on January 17th. :happydance:

Hey, generally the advise is that you can continue doing what you were doing before pregnancy except for certain 'high risk' sports and exercise, as your body is already used to it. The running should be absolutely fine. I run about 14 miles each week. I have reduced distance and speed on the basis of compensating for morning sickness and energy levels. Yoga is probably completely fine. I am unsure about the core strength and weight classes though.

That 4 miles was pretty intense for me, though. I'm in pretty good shape, but I'm not what anyone would call a "runner". :laugh2:

Thanks for all the replies ladies you have put my mind to rest (for now! Haha) you girls are the best!! Now all I want is for this 12 week mark to be here :p

How we all feeling today? X

ourlittlehill - I'd just be easy on yourself and not push too hard. Exercise is good for us during pregnancy because its important to stay healthy and makes us stronger leading to easier births a lot of the time (at least this is what my gynae was spouting at me yesterday when I asked about my exercise routine).

Jim_Bear - Tired, emotional, sore boobs, sick, aching back....if there is a symptom to have I seem to have it. Keep talking to my belly pointing out that if it was for anyone other than baba this really wouldn't be worth it lol. But I'm still excited and happy and generally try to let that take over the bleurgh feelings. :cloud9:

Hey there! I just found out I am about 6 weeks pregnant due the first week of January.

I tested because 1) I was 2 weeks late and 2) Morning sickness. Nothing major like throwing up, but I couldn't eat anything and I felt nauseous all day for a week. It has kind of gone away now, but not completely.

Good luck to you all!

Hey there! I just found out I am about 6 weeks pregnant due the first week of January.

I tested because 1) I was 2 weeks late and 2) Morning sickness. Nothing major like throwing up, but I couldn't eat anything and I felt nauseous all day for a week. It has kind of gone away now, but not completely.

Good luck to you all!
Congrats!

Good luck to you all!
Congrats!

Thank you!

Hey everyone, I found out last Wednesday I am pregnant with our first EDD 17th Jan :) congrats everyone!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->