January/ February Snowflakes 2024

There is a test that tests your long term blood sugars - it's called the hba1c. It basically takes your average blood glucose level over the past 3ish months. But that's not what they are looking at with the GTT - the GTT is looking at how your body is able to process high doses of pure glucose, and the inability to do so is what leads to having gestational diabetes.

But having gestational diabetes (failing the test) doesn't mean your body can't actually process what you're eating on a regular basis, which is why I felt comfortable skipping the test, cause I proceeded to all the actions that would be taken with having a diagnosis - regular testing at home and a growth ultrasound (since I wanted one at 34 weeks instead of 20)

The diabetes educator I saw didn't quite know what to do with me either, but was still really helpful to see.

Aww @Laurabub84 what beautiful pics do good to hear you are home and all doing well. Must be very emotional for you. Can I ask was the tube for feeding? Or something else? So lovely for you to be home for Xmas!!
@Phantom great pictures so cute!!

Yes the tube was for feeding. He needed it in the beginning but in the end I think it was actually holding him back. He was expected to take a bigger amount than babies that were older and bigger than he was and in a smaller time frame so it seemed he wasn’t getting hungry for any feeds, so instead of letting him try with bottles/breast they were just giving up and putting it down the tube. It took one nurse to decide to take it out and give him a chance and to not expect him to take as much and he flew from there. He started feeding himself and waking for the next one. The change was amazing and we were finally allowed home. He’s been doing great so far. Nights are a struggle tho as he knows when he’s put down even after a feed and will only settle with me so I’ve not been sleeping. Dh has woke me a couple of times where I’ve fell asleep cuddling him because I’m so tired so now I’m sitting up with him not sleeping because I’m scared of falling asleep in bed with him. I did it in hospital too and the nurse wasn’t happy with me.

@Laurabub84 thats a shame that the nurse was cross with you! With my last I'm sure they actually encouraged me to sleep with baby and said not to worry if I fell asleep cos they put the bed sides up!
I wonder why they were expecting him to take so much milk? So glad he's doing so well now x

@NDH do you know if the gtt is still accurate at 29 or 30+ weeks? I can't find any info at all online about this!

@NDH do you know if the gtt is still accurate at 29 or 30+ weeks? I can't find any info at all online about this!

Yes it's still accurate. It's just normally done between 24 and 28 weeks as if one is going to develop it it will have shown up by that point (testing too early can give false negatives), and the sooner it's caught and managed the better for the baby

@NDH ah OK. So I could potentially go after Xmas when it's much more convenient to get there? Think they are just pressuring me to do it cos the sooner it's caught the better?

Yeah you can absolutely get it done after Christmas. I would suggest trying to test at home with a glucometer in the mean time if you can though. The sooner you can start identifying and eliminating problem foods, if any, the better.

@NDH did you actually get diagnosed with gd then? I was reading your journal but didn't want to take it over with lots of gd questions lol. I saw you wrote you were questioning the diagnosis after your normal readings following the party food... But I thought you didn't get diagnosed cos you didn't do the gtt? Confused lol x

@NDH did you actually get diagnosed with gd then? I was reading your journal but didn't want to take it over with lots of gd questions lol. I saw you wrote you were questioning the diagnosis after your normal readings following the party food... But I thought you didn't get diagnosed cos you didn't do the gtt? Confused lol x
I would recommend that you get the GTT done as soon as possible. I think it will be okay to wait until after Christmas. No matter how late in the pregnancy, I have shown trouble with high amounts of sugar or carbs.
I never expected to be diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I have always been fit and lean. I ran, biked, and did yoga several times a week prior to about 20 weeks pregnant.
And yet here I am, with diet controlled gestational diabetes.

No I don't have an *actual* diagnosis, as they won't diagnose me without the GTT, but I've had enough high readings from foods that should not be causing a glucose spike in someone without diabetes that it's a fair assumption I do. And because of that I've been tracking my sugars 4x(sometimes more) a day for the past almost 2 months and will continue to do so until baby is born (sometime within the next 3 weeks!) It's just that I also can eat foods that i shouldn't be able to if I had diabetes that makes it confusing!
Tracking my sugars at home has been a really illuminating experience and definitely makes me feel better about indulging my sweet tooth with things like ice cream and chocolate that dont affect my blood sugar :thumbup:

Last edited:
Thanks for the input too @littlewitch!! I really am in an area I know little to nothing about here lol. So after diagnosis do you have to track at home with the lil machine??
@NDH wow 3 weeks?! Eeeek!! Are you 37 weeks now then? Darn vanishing tickers!!

Thanks for the input too @littlewitch!! I really am in an area I know little to nothing about here lol. So after diagnosis do you have to track at home with the lil machine??
@NDH wow 3 weeks?! Eeeek!! Are you 37 weeks now then? Darn vanishing tickers!!
For me, gestational diabetes diagnosis has meant checking my fasting blood sugar and two hours after every meal.
Most doctors want you to submit records of your blood sugar levels every 1-2 weeks to ascertain if you need medication management or not.

@josephine3 if you are diagnosed you'll be seen regularly in the diabetic clinic. I'm not sure how often they see gestational diabetics but I'm seen every two weeks as a type 1.

I'm having a baby tomorrow!!! :shock: :happydance:
Wishing you all the best for tomorrow. Eeeek!! Can’t wait to see your baby announcement. How are we here already? I’d have turned 37+2 today and instead he’s 3 weeks old tomorrow. It’s gone insanely fast. Enjoy every moment ladies this time just flys

Wishing you all the best for tomorrow. Eeeek!! Can’t wait to see your baby announcement. How are we here already? I’d have turned 37+2 today and instead he’s 3 weeks old tomorrow. It’s gone insanely fast. Enjoy every moment ladies this time just flys
Thank you! I know its gone so fast. I can't believe he'll be here tomorrow :happydance:how is your wee one 3 weeks already?! How are you both doing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hollie200
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->