Jealous dog

Gems

Reaction score
Hi
I have a 18 month old boxer dog who is my baby , he is spoilt rotten and im dreading what he is gonna think of our new addition.
He gets so jealous of even the cat sat on my knee !!
Does anyone have any experience of this? Any ideas how to prepare the dog for baby coming along?? xx

You should start making any changes now before the baby arrives.
So that the baby isnt associated with any changes.
i.e Keeping the dog down stairs, not fed at the table etc things like that.
Dogs are pack animals so you must not make him feel that he is 'top dog'
You can get baby noises cds so that he gets used to that.
Make sure that he is well trained and controllable, and be sensible never leave a baby unattended with a dog even if its the soppiest dog around.
And hopefully you will be fine.

My dog isnt that spoilt but I think any dog can take a negative reaction to a new little baby so I spoke to a vet and he said that when the babies born put a plain little vest on it, then whenever your partner or whoever are leaving to come home take it back with them and give it to the dog until you and baby are geting out hospital. Let it get the babys scent. Then that way the dog shouldnt jump all over you and baby when yous get out because it isnt a brand new scent.

Thats great advise , thanks !

This is all great advice, I have a boxer as well. My boxer follows me everywhere I go, he whines if I shut a door between me and him and he gets jealous when my husband hugs or kisses me (my hubby eggs it on though too). Our dog is super friendly, but has a bad problem with jumping on people that come over (cause their new, I guess). He will get very hyper. I think I will try giving the dog an outfit that the baby has worn so he can get used to the smell, that is a great idea. Thank you for posting this, I'm concerned as to how our dog will act when the baby arrives.

https://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/introducing_your_pet_and_new_baby.html

https://www.dogmanners.com/Yournew.htm

www.televets.com - a free veterinary advice site

Thought these links might be of help.

If your dog 'guards' you from the cat then you could start by letting him know that you decide who gets petted not him. I'd start by working on that as well as the smell.

I would say just make sure that you give doggy lots of love (more love) when LO arrives.

They soon adapt!

ive heard of doing the scent thing and also teaching to dog to walk with the pram/stroller if ure gonna to go on walks, do it before the baby comes so that it already knows how and u dont end up getting all tangled and nervous that the baby will topple.

ive got a mini yorkie, hes spoilt rotten and i mean spoilt. i dont even think he knows hes a dog i treat him like a baby, i love him to bits but hes found it hard to adjust to the new arrival! when i was leaning over her moses basket trying to rock her off yesterday he jumped on my knee and jumped for her basket, only i caught him mid air he would have landed on her! and i thought that he would be fine because he is very good at doing as he is told but obviously he sees her getting the treatment he usually gets. i have started trying to make time to mother him when shes sleeping but im probably just digging myself a deeper hole to get out of in the end x

those links are really helpul
we have a tiny little shih-tzu who is really calm and as never been horrible toawrds anyone but you can never be too careful :)

hi! same sort of situation, iv got a 7 yr old Staffie and she is my baby, she doesnt get jelous as such, but she looks so hurt if i ignore her at all!! we have started to make her sleep in a different room and although she isnt aloud to beg at the table anway we are making exter efforts to not alow her to get away with it, because at the end of the day she is a dog and its instinct to beg! i dont want her to feel pushed out just because iv had a baby, so i think its best to start making changes now and treating your dog like a dog and not a baby!! which yes, im guilty of too!

We also have a 10 month old Shih Tzu. He is used to getting plenty of attention, and is very spoiled. I'm worried how he will act, but were trying to get him ready for her arrival. I got a doll for my DH LOL, and it makes crying noises and stuff... We sat on the couch with the doll, and had it crying. He came over and was curious about it, but just looked at the doll and at us. Hes very gentle, and an affectionate dog, so I think he will be ok. Of course we're not gonna leave her unattended where he could possibly get to her. One other problem is that he thinks that anything that comes into the house is his, so we've had a hard time making him realize what stuff is for sister, and what stuff is for him. He's learning tho, and we just say "No, thats sisters!" And he listens. Good luck, dogs really become a part of the family!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->