Jinxing it buying too early?

doggylover

Mum of 4
Reaction score
Last summer I bought some lovely midi dresses I loved and I’m a bit gutted I won’t be able to wear them this year! I have found a similar maternity one online, and really want to buy it for summer before it goes out of stock.

But I’m not even 4 full weeks yet and I am too scared to buy it in case I jinx things. What if something bad happens and I am left with these maternity things and can’t wear them?

Has anyone else in the first tri started to buy things yet?

I haven’t brought maternity clothes, but with one of my previous pregnancies I did buy some baby stuff that was on sale - the pregnancy ended and I couldn’t face returning the stuff so it sat in a cupboard. I actually kind of liked having it in some ways as it gave me a little hope that one day I’d get to use it. I’m 11 weeks now and have brought a couple of baby grows online as I’m trying to convince myself this is really happening this time! I think if you want to get it, you should, but only if it’s something you could wear in a future pregnancy if something does happen. I do get superstitious and paranoid, but realistically, there is no way that buying yourself a dress could cause a miscarriage. Congratulations :)

Thank you! Yes I know in my sensible brain that buying anything won’t cause a loss. I suppose it’s because I’ve been brought up in a culture where you don’t buy anything until as late as possible? The stuff I’m going to get I could definitely wear again if something does happen this time and I get pregnant in future.

I’m just feeling so anxious this time round for some reason. Felt the same with my first pregnancy which did end in miscarriage, which makes me worry even more.

I don’t believe there’s any such thing as jinxing. What will be will be, it’s not down to fate it’s usually down to chromosomal issues etc xx

I absolutely have sensible brain and insane, terrified baby brain! I think it’s totally normal to be anxious and not want to do anything that may somehow impact the universe or fate in some roundabout way - I’ve become a bit ocd about knocking wood since the BFP and now do it about 10 times a day every time I think about the baby arriving! Honestly retail therapy is probably going to be good for you rather than do anything negative. Unfortunately things are out of our control (we’ll unless you’re smoking crack or something!) and we just have to wait and see. Honestly I don’t see how childbirth can compare to the torture that’s pregnancy after miscarriage!

I'm absolutely positive that you buying maternity clothes could have no negative outcome on your baby's health. If you want to buy then buy :)

Thanks everyone. I know is being silly, and really the issue is my anxiety around it all and not the buying at all!

Can you strongly hint to your partner to buy it for you? Then you can’t jinx anything and get a nice present!

Lol! He would just say “if you want it why don’t you buy it?” Lol!

I felt the same, but I desperately needed some work pants. I've only gained 2lbs since everything started, but the bloat and everything along with it has made it uncomfortable to wear 2 of my favorite pants. If you need it, you need it. I don't think buying it is going to jinx anything. Better to be comfortable and fashionable, then to be miserable wearing clothes that don't quite fit anymore.

Well, I don’t really need it. I have bags and bags of maternity stuff from my first two, and my sister in laws stuff from her pregnancies! I do like to get a few new things each time though, because by the end I am so massive I can only wear the same few things, so try and keep them for the end and have a few new bits for the middle!

I think if you see it and you like it, buy it. With my previous pregnancy, I found a new pushchair on offer that I really liked when I was 6 weeks (our previous one from our first has long since broken). It was an amazing deal and it was what I wanted, so I bought it. I found out, literally the day after it arrived, that I was having a miscarriage. It was devastating, but not because I had a pushchair and no baby. It was devastating because of the miscarriage. I really didn't even think about the pushchair. I got pregnant again right after and that baby is due at any moment. I still have a pushchair I really like that I got a good deal on and I'm looking forward to using it with this baby when he arrives. So if you see it, get it and don't worry about the what ifs.

Thanks, MindUtopia. Good luck with your impending arrival, and I’m sorry to hear about your loss.

I bought things cycles before I even got pregnant because I knew one day I would be a mom and need them. Worst case, you store them until you need them or donate them. Enjoy every moment.

If your pants are snug try the rubber band trick or cutting up a cheap tank top of you want to delay getting mat jeans

Thanks. I already have lots of actual maternity clothes, this is my 3rd pregnancy. And I was in them at 9 weeks before so it won’t be long!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->