Job - bit of a quandry

Faerie

Proud Mummy
Reaction score
Just to give you some background info for those who don't know me - Having lived in Switzerland/France for 4 years and after 2 years of TTC I decided I wanted to take a Diploma in the UK and get some different work experience, whilst also having a break from TTC. Things weren't looking great for me re TTC, I had a blocked tube removed in April and they weren't sure if the other was ok, plus the longer I wasn't pregnant and not on my endometriosis medication the more damage endo could cause.

Anyway, I moved here, and four weeks ago I realised I was pregnant :happydance: Now my quandry is that I've been offered a great job, and I'm meant to tell them tomorrow if I'm going to take it or not... but it's permanent and obviously I'd be leaving in May. I wouldn't want any benefits or anything as we'll move back to Europe once the baby is born.

Would you take the job? I would feel bad, I know what a pain it is to interview... on the other hand I don't even know if this baby will last.

Go for it babes. If push comes to shove - tell them you didn't know you were pregnant when you accepted the post. Great opportunities don't come along that often!!!
And congrats on the pregnancy!!!:happydance:

take the job

they will never know that you knew you was pregnant

and anyway im sure you dont have to tell your employer that your pregnant when signing the contract as it could be used for descrimination

im rather sure taht you dont have to tell your employer till you are 25 weeks and by then they will proberly notice anyway

xx

What the other ladies said - go for it! Congrats on your pregnancy as well, hope you have a happy and healthy 9mths.

Going in this morning to meet the rest of the team.. wish me luck!! Overall concensus seems to be I should keep quiet... Don't look pregnant yet so no worries there! Last week I was so bloated I looked like 16 weeks, this week flat as a pancake.

Go for it you need to do whats best for you now and you are that early on you can say you didnt know

I have just been offered a really good job (for me anyway) and found out 2 weeks before the interview said nothing as i didnt want that to be the reason they said no anyway i got the job waiting for the contract to be signed before i tell them they way i see it i will only be off for 6 months anyway and straight back to it full time

You need to do the best for you and if thats taking the job gaining the experience you want take it

They're going to send me a medical questionnaire... hmmm... I think these things normally ask is there's strokes in your family etc etc right?

Go for it you need to do whats best for you now and you are that early on you can say you didnt know

I have just been offered a really good job (for me anyway) and found out 2 weeks before the interview said nothing as i didnt want that to be the reason they said no anyway i got the job waiting for the contract to be signed before i tell them they way i see it i will only be off for 6 months anyway and straight back to it full time

You need to do the best for you and if thats taking the job gaining the experience you want take it

Congratulations :hugs:

They're going to send me a medical questionnaire... hmmm... I think these things normally ask is there's strokes in your family etc etc right?

You might want to declare your pregnancy on the form so that they can carry out their employer responsibilities. They can't take the job away from you because you are pregnant.

Basically I was thinking of phoning them next week and saying that I'd had blood tests for my thyroid problem (which is true) and that it turns out I'm pregnant, which is totally unexpected with my history (also true) and basically give them the option to not offer me the job. At least now they love me (their words) and can make that decision.

They're not allowed to not offer you the job though! They would be discriminating! I wouldn't put them in that position if I were you.

I know I know, but I don't want to lie either... oh I've got myself into a muddle, I never thought it would get this far as they wanted someone with more qualifications and experience and now they want me and are even applying for a grant so they can give me a higher salary! Crazy!

It's not lying. They have offered, you have accepted, now you can tell them now or whenever you feel comfortable in the future. You're under no obligation to tell them until week 25 and arguably not even then as you won't be entitled to maternity rights. But they will still have a duty as an employer to carry out risk assessments and allow you time off for antenatal care so you will probably want to tell them sooner rather than later. You will gain experience from this job and they will have an enthusiastic employee for that time who will be committed - they're not losing out by employing you. Maybe there will be options available for you to return there in the future if both you and they are happy and would like that. Whatever else they cannot possibly not give you the job now for any reason so IMO it's not fair to put them in that position as you suggest by your phone call. The only way out would be for you to decide not to take the job, but why would you do that? Don't worry so much! This will be good for you both!

Thanks PeanutBean. I don't know why I'm flapping so much - DH and I were planning on moving back to mainland Europe in the summer anyway, so either way I was planning on ditching the job... I guess I just feel it's "sneakier" knowing I'm pregnant, but it's no different!

First of all congratulations on your pregnancy. At least you're being upfront if you tell them that you're pregnant, plus, you said that they love you already so it shouldn't make too much difference. Good luck with it all, and let us know how you get on xx

Yup - take it, enjoy the experience etc ...
go for it honey, you deserve all the good things :hugs:

Well, I did tell the recruitment agency and was expecting at least a groan from them, but they were just like "oh fantastic news" and sent me info on when I should tell the employer but didn't need to do so now and then told me the maternity benefits I would get etc etc. So all's good :)

I'm glad it has worked out for you! Hopefully you will feel more at ease now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->