Job dilema - to tell or not to tell

violet chase

Reaction score
Hi all i hope you can help me, i lost my job due to it only being a tempory position, and i havent found anything since.

I told the job centre i have been telling possible employers that i am pregnant in 1st tri (im 13+5 now) and he wasn't amused to say the least! He seems to think i don't need to / shouldn't tell my employer untill i have secured a position.

I don't like this idea though i think it's dishonest! i know employers aren't supposed to discriminate against pregnant women but i know for a fact they have but i don't think i could sit there and not say anything then turn up for work and say "oh by the way i cant do this, this and this because im pregnant"

what should i do :wacko:

Hmm.. what kind of job is it? Do you desperately need the job?

Cx

You should do whatever you feel comfortable with. Lets face it, they are going to find out sooner or later! If you get a job at 20 weeks without telling them and the week after you tell them youre going to be leaving in 8 weeks, they're not going to be best pleased anyway since they have to then look for somebody else.

It really depends on how badly you need a job and how loud your conscience is! The job centre advisers cant "tell you off" for being honest! Ignore them if they try.

Congrats on your pregnancy!

i dont think it is any of the job centres business who you decide to tell about your pregnancy

i would absloutely tell prospective employers

I went for an interview at the company i work for now when i was 13 weeks pregnant and kept quiet...i got the job and told them a week or two after i started and they were fine!

Its up to you, but I agree that although theyre not supposed to discriminate against pregnant women they probably do! Xxx

i agree that with what the pp said about them probably discriminating

however i dont think that its some jumped up nobody in the job centres business whether or not you decide to divulge your personal information

Thank you for your replies. I'm mainly applying for retail jobs.
Im not totally desperate for money but i need to get out of the house and any money i could make would help towards getting our own house and my concience is quite loud, the few people i have told have said not to tell them but my dads always been a "honesty is the best policy" drummer!! i have 2 interviews coming up i might see if i can get away with keeping quiet :o\

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->