Jobs interviews whilst pregnant

JayDee

Sunshine and rainbow
Reaction score
I've posted this is 1st tri as well, but thought I would open up to a wider audience.....

Right, to cut a long story short my work have offered me voluntary redundancy. I don't really like working there that much, and was looking for another job last year. I found a temp internal transfer but that's finishing now, I was hoping it would carry on, but it's not.

Looking at the numbers, I would be crazy not to take it (nearly a year's salary, good start for bubs) but I would want to get another job as soon as I can so I don't get bored if nothing else.

I know they aren't allowed to ask in an interview about whether you are pregnant or anything, and I wouldn't have to tell them till after I was offered/accepted a job but is this really what happens. Am I going to get off on the wrong foot with them by taking a job then a couple of weeks later telling them I'm pregnant and will be wanting lots of time off before I've even been there a year?

Any views, or anyone that has experience to share, would be appreciated.

Thanks x

Would you qualify for materninty leave if you leave now?

No, but I would get the other thing that's £123/week throughout your leave, would just miss out on the 90% for the first 6 weeks bit, but my redundancy money covers my take home from now till then anyway.

Just wondering if I will be able to find another job, but made some calls and there is stuff out there. Feeling a bit more relaxed now....

You dont have to tell them til your like 24+ weeks so i would defo go for interviews

Yeah - that's what I'm thinking. As my hubby said last night, I'm a married woman in my late 20s who doesn't currently have any kids, any employer would have to expect that I might want to have them at some point, just maybe not this soon but, hey, that's life!

Thanks everyone x

Personally, i would tell them. Most employers appreciate openness and honesty. xx

Personally, I wouldn't tell them until you've got the job. While the law says they can't refuse to hire you on the basis of pregnancy, you can bet that most will find some other "reason" to not hire you if they know they're going to have to pay for you to be on maternity leave. Even if they feel a bit irritated at the time when they find out, they'll forget about it soon enough.

Personally, I wouldn't tell them until you've got the job. While the law says they can't refuse to hire you on the basis of pregnancy, you can bet that most will find some other "reason" to not hire you if they know they're going to have to pay for you to be on maternity leave. Even if they feel a bit irritated at the time when they find out, they'll forget about it soon enough.

Thats exactly what happened to me, i applied for a zero hour contract job and was told i couldnt have it because i wasn't flexible enough...LOL!!! I do nothing else with my time..!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->