July Jelly Beans!! 2014!

I was going to go off at 32 weeks, as we get a year and EI starts paying mat benefits weeks before the the due date, but I just quit my job this week. Last day will be February 5. They cut me down to part time a week after I announced my pregnancy, and said it was because of short notice call ins (in other words, my ex not showing up for his visitation and leaving me unable to work). I gave them a letter a week later about not being able to lift anything heavy due to previous multiple miscarriages, and the manager told me it may results in a reduction in hours. Then, just before Christmas, without any warning or explanation, they cut me down by yet another shift. So in two months, I went from 40 hours to 12 hours a week.

So now I'm gonna do some daycare out of my house instead and stay home for a few years and do some online college courses instead.

I called the labour board and we're opening a case against them for Constructive Dismissal

JB14 try not to worry - if your diet is as excellent as it sounds, baby will get everything it needs. And it doesn't exactly weigh much at the moment :hugs: These babies are much-loved parasites and will leach the very calcium from our bones if they need to :hugs:

Toffee I went off at 36 weeks last time. I was SO BORED for the following 5 weeks. So I'm hoping to keep going til 38 with this one. I have a much shorter commute now and this time its by car instead of bus and train, so hopefully I can keep motivated a little longer. Will have 9-12 months off.

I went off at 36 weeks with DS and then went overdue by 8 days so I had 5 weeks off before he came and I must admit I did get a little bored! Then when I went back to work I kept kicking myself wishing I had worked right up to due date then I could have had 5 weeks longer with my LO afterwards!

This time I am hoping to work as long as I possibly can and take all of my annual leave (6.5 weeks) before mat leave kicks in. My only concern is that my job can be quite stressful and I have to travel a lot so not sure how I will deal with it in the latter stages. My boss has said I can do some work at home but there will be certain things I have to go out to do.

We shall wait and see I guess!

X

Yeah, I work in care. I'm mainly office based, but do care too and it's just the bending etc when I'm massive that puts me off x

I get 4 months maternity leave, and my first day will be 1st July.
But I might be working from home while on maternity leave.
Still discussing it with my boss.

I leave the end of May using 3 weeks holiday in June and officially leaving 2 weeks before she's due.

I'm thinking of leaving at the end of May, as I have 5 weeks holiday to use, which will then mean my Mat leave officially starts the week before the baby is due. Need to sort it with my manager though xx

julybaby14 said:
I am having the underweight problem you had during your last pregnancy. It scares me because I want my little on to get all the nourishment he or she needs! I have only gained 1lb or so since I got pregnant and am now 15 weeks. I am slender and had a BMI of 20 to begin with so I know I need to gain 25-35lbs. So far it just wont happen! Currently I am trying to eat 5-6 meals a day high in protein and calories. But the scale wont move... The only thing I can think of is cutting down my work-outs further. The problem is that stretching / working out seems to help a lot with sleep and back pains. Everyone keeps saying that I am "lucky" and should just go with it. I hate those comments. Baby needs nourishment.

Did your doc give you any tips last time on how to gain weight? Does anyone else have any experience with this or any advice?

I never gained at first because of sickness, couldn't stomach most foods but once that had gone I found the weight came as my bump grew. I just ate a lot of meat, veg, fruit...and then potato!! Haaha.. I LOVED mash potatoes last time around! I went from 6st6lb to 8st2lb during my pregnancy.

Hopefully in time it will come but ive saw a lot of people on here still looking very slim with lovely healthy 25 week + babies in their tummies! :hugs:

Victoria - Mashed potatoes are my best freind too! love them with a passion and have done since about week 7. :haha:

Brandi - Terrible behaviour by your employer, in the UK it's illegal for an employer to change a pregnant employees hours/contract terms etc without agreement by the employee. And if heavy lifting etc is involved the employer has to either find alternative work or else suspend them on full pay.....I'm assuming this isn't the case over there? are there laws protecting pregnant women specifically against discrimination or is it just general workers rights?

I'm jealous of all your maternity leave times! In the US paid maternity leave is not mandatory. I can get up to 12 weeks off but none of it paid. My husband is still in med school so I'm going to have to make due with 4 weeks off after the baby arrives. If I don't get paid I can't pay bills! I'm planning on working up until the day I give birth. Hopefully it will work out that way. The UK definitely has a better system in this regard.

I'm very grateful for the UKs maternity system and even more so for my work's as they bump up the first 3 months.

Oh wow just shows the difference inmaternity leave policies from different parts of the world! I work for the nhs and can have up to a year off. First 3 months full pay, up to 6 months half pay plus statutory mat pay from then to 9 months just statutory pay and the remainding 3 months no pay. I will probably take a year out to be fair!

I have always thought that the system in America seemed to be exceptionally tough. It seems that 3 months is considered generous there. At my old firm in London I was entitled to one year off, with six months at full pay. Unfortunately, I've now left and am self-employed. I guess the upside of that is that I can start work again when I want and that if it is too early I can simply stop again or reduce my hours. Still, it would be nice to have maternity pay to fall back on!

The maternity leave here in the U.S is crap compared to the U.K, I'll probably work up to 34 weeks but idk if that will be possible since I'm bending my back and looking into a patients mouth all day lol. I'll probably stay home with the princess until shes about 5 months(all without pay) then go back to work since hubby will be going to specialty school no income will be coming in for those 5 months, ugh!

The maternity leave here in the U.S is crap compared to the U.K, I'll probably work up to 34 weeks but idk if that will be possible since I'm bending my back and looking into a patients mouth all day lol. I'll probably stay home with the princess until shes about 5 months(all without pay) then go back to work since hubby will be going to specialty school no income will be coming in for those 5 months, ugh!

Yep, I saw a thread on US maternity last week. we're very lucky over here - I get 6m full pay and 3m half pay, so will go back between 9 and 12 months.

wow,here in South africa, we get 4 months unpaid, and we must pull uif.....

Yup rememebered that. I wasnt planning on getting preggers there so never dealt with but i do recall friends talking about. Its so little time :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->